+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Bounty Hunting in 2.6: Why no love for pvp in this?

Plane Walker

Default Bounty Hunting in 2.6: Why no love for pvp in this?

I saw a thread about the "bounty hunting" going in for 2.6 -- but, I didn't see anything related to pvp. Did I miss it, or is going to be pve only?

It seems like this would be really cool for pvp. People could offer plat for "pieces of <player x>" from warfronts, etc. (Make it expensive to place a bounty so it's not overused.)

Or, heck, make it a daily/weekly quest: "Kill 5 mages in pvp battles" ...or something along those lines.

I think it would add a new dynamic to warfronts because people would have to stop and loot corpses

Anyway, just seems like bounty hunting would be a natural thing for pvp....

(Note: See http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ing-2-6-a.html.)

Ascendant

That could be interesting, but it is PvP content.

The Devs don't do PvP content.

Because placing bounties on players would end so well for the game, they might even get legal problems with that...

The following would be an interesting way to do bounty hunting and would revolutionize MMORPGs as we know them today. Oh wait, these were the Ultima Online Patch Notes for Dec of 1997.

Bounty hunting
    When someone is killed by another player, they may choose to report the crime if
    The victim is dishonorable or better notoriety
    The victim is not as bad a murderer as the person who killed them
    The victim is not currently flagged a criminal (two minutes since they committed a criminal act)
    At death, a window will pop up giving the choice to report the crime or not. A player can choose to not report a killing if it was accidental, or if they feel it was especially well-roleplayed, or if it was part of a guild war, etc.

If a killer accumulates too many reports:
    All of their goods in the bank will be confiscated on the spot.
    The gold they may have had in the bank is added to the local bounty for their head.
    The killer's notoriety falls instantly to Dread Lord. (It is not "stuck" there--you can still rise if you can manage it).
    A bounty is posted on the closest bulletin board listing the killer's name, a physical description (hair color, hairstyle, skin color), a tally of kills, and the names of some of their victims.
    Reports "age" out, but once a bounty is set on you, it remains even if you don't kill anyone else for a long time.
    Every time you get reported after a bounty is set, your bank is cleaned out again, and a local bounty is reissued. This can result in the bounty price continuing to rise. Bounties are local, meaning that different cities may have different rewards and different kill tallies for a given outlaw.

The outlaw must be killed under the following circumstances:
    The person who kills him must be a player (of course)
    The person who kills him must have a lower tally of reported murders than the outlaw does.
    The person who kills him must be above neutral notoriety.
    When the outlaw is killed under the above circumstances
    They lose 10% from all stats and skills on the spot, regardless of resurrection methods.
    A head labelled with their name is automatically placed in the backpack of the bounty hunter.
    The head must be returned to a guard whose beat is near the bulletin board where the bounty is posted. Since bounties are local, returning the head to the wrong city won't work. You can also choose to return it to any of the cities where a bounty is posted, choosing the best based on the reward offered. Also, some cities may have multiple "precincts" if they have multiple bulletin boards; find a guard near the board that has the bounty posted.
    Only the bounty hunter can turn in the head.
    The bounty hunter must be of better than neutral notoriety when the head is turned in.
    Fake heads won't work.

The gold posted for the local reward will be given to the bounty hunter by the guard.
    Bounties may remain posted in other cities even though the reward has been claimed, but a given bounty can only be claimed once in the world, unless the killer returns to their ways. This will likely result in a killer who has bounties in multiple cities getting killed over and over again by eager reward claimants, for no gain. Our advice is, don't end up with lots of bounties on your head.
    Last edited by Baramos; 01-22-2014 at 10:20 PM.

Shield of Telara

Oh the good ol' days of Ultima Online...

Bounty hunting PvP side of things, wouldn't work to well in most MMO's today... Especially Rift. As much as i'd love the idea to be in these MMO's.. It just wouldn't work.

UO for example was sandbox, none of this instance stuff. So, if you wanted to go get stuff, you had to venture the world and dungeons to do it not only putting yourself in harms way of NPC's but players whether just plain murderers or bounty hunters.

MMO's like Rift and even WoW, majority of people just use instance LFG for dungeons and warfronts so open world and dungeons aren't used as much.. People are just lazy now days.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkorian View Post

UO for example was sandbox, none of this instance stuff. So, if you wanted to go get stuff, you had to venture the world and dungeons to do it not only putting yourself in harms way of NPC's but players whether just plain murderers or bounty hunters.
    Sandbox>Themepark for so many reasons, I miss those days. I finally canceled my UO account back in 2011. The memories will remain with me for a lifetime. Richard Garrior and Starr Long are working on a new MMO though, should be interesting.

Shield of Telara

Last I heard it was something for facebook or perhaps a browser type game.. This was going back a fair while though..

They were considering UO 2 many moons ago but that was scratched. Probably a good thing because if I recall they were going to take from WoW when that game started getting all the attention.. UO using WoW engine would kill that game tbh... Needs to be sandbox and the style it was, just updated to the now days graphics and so on..

Sadly there isn't enough games like UO.. Companies try, but they fail.. Not because they are bad, but I think mainly because they aren't eye candy enough for the youth gamers now days.. *shrugs*

If they brought out UO with graphics like Rift id play it in a heart beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkorian View Post
    Last I heard it was something for facebook or perhaps a browser type game.. .
    There are some alpha YouTube videos out right now for it, it is coming along nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Baramos View Post
    The following would be an interesting way to do bounty hunting and would revolutionize MMORPGs as we know them today. Oh wait, these were the Ultima Online Patch Notes for Dec of 1997.

Bounty hunting
    When someone is killed by another player, they may choose to report the crime if
    The victim is dishonorable or better notoriety
    The victim is not as bad a murderer as the person who killed them
    The victim is not currently flagged a criminal (two minutes since they committed a criminal act)
    At death, a window will pop up giving the choice to report the crime or not. A player can choose to not report a killing if it was accidental, or if they feel it was especially well-roleplayed, or if it was part of a guild war, etc.

If a killer accumulates too many reports:
    All of their goods in the bank will be confiscated on the spot.
    The gold they may have had in the bank is added to the local bounty for their head.
    The killer's notoriety falls instantly to Dread Lord. (It is not "stuck" there--you can still rise if you can manage it).
    A bounty is posted on the closest bulletin board listing the killer's name, a physical description (hair color, hairstyle, skin color), a tally of kills, and the names of some of their victims.
    Reports "age" out, but once a bounty is set on you, it remains even if you don't kill anyone else for a long time.
    Every time you get reported after a bounty is set, your bank is cleaned out again, and a local bounty is reissued. This can result in the bounty price continuing to rise. Bounties are local, meaning that different cities may have different rewards and different kill tallies for a given outlaw.

The outlaw must be killed under the following circumstances:
    The person who kills him must be a player (of course)
    The person who kills him must have a lower tally of reported murders than the outlaw does.
    The person who kills him must be above neutral notoriety.
    When the outlaw is killed under the above circumstances
    They lose 10% from all stats and skills on the spot, regardless of resurrection methods.
    A head labelled with their name is automatically placed in the backpack of the bounty hunter.
    The head must be returned to a guard whose beat is near the bulletin board where the bounty is posted. Since bounties are local, returning the head to the wrong city won't work. You can also choose to return it to any of the cities where a bounty is posted, choosing the best based on the reward offered. Also, some cities may have multiple "precincts" if they have multiple bulletin boards; find a guard near the board that has the bounty posted.
    Only the bounty hunter can turn in the head.
    The bounty hunter must be of better than neutral notoriety when the head is turned in.
    Fake heads won't work.

The gold posted for the local reward will be given to the bounty hunter by the guard.
    Bounties may remain posted in other cities even though the reward has been claimed, but a given bounty can only be claimed once in the world, unless the killer returns to their ways. This will likely result in a killer who has bounties in multiple cities getting killed over and over again by eager reward claimants, for no gain. Our advice is, don't end up with lots of bounties on your head.
    People put deep thought into games from that era as far as being original. Now it's like the opposite, companies see one gimmick that works and everyone copies it =/. There isn't much time to go this in depth in a gameplay concept when you are maintaining the store to the teeth and putting more effort into things like superficial rewards. I guess it's why I enjoy Rift in bursts. It is fun, but the gameplay is so shallow. On the PvP and PvE side of things. It's not just Rift, it really is games right now. So many people hop game to game it feels more than ever (I felt like people were more dedicated to games longer ago, or they were better at forming sub communities because it attracted a static crowd for a decent period of time) and worse is oddly now a days when people do a game hop...they are so bitter about the last one. Half the time people come on the old games forum just to bash it. I have never seen games breed such hatred for the product in the eyes of the consumer than ever in this day and age. I still try to wrap my mind around this whole thing how people damn near treat past games like an ex.

The industry is going down the crapper unless they get back to the roots of it and how it worked before it became overly mainstream. They've attracted the wrong crowds and are killing the soul of gaming. It's funny, I was reading an old quake forum the other day very few still visit. One person popped in just to say they couldn't be happier in retrospect that they got to experience online gaming and be deep in it during the years of ~95 - 2003. That sadly is a golden era that may never return. FPS, MMO's, RPGs...they've all changed now. They aren't the deep masterminded games they used to be.

Ever notice now that seasonal events involve a gimmick that somehow results in Trion getting more profits? I thought those were our special events. Somehow they get their players to treat them now. Companies just don't even give back to the player like they used to in the day either. Like I said, whole new scene, tone and attitude. You are more of an old timer than me, so I know you realize all this more.
    Last edited by Violacea; 01-23-2014 at 10:40 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Axarion View Post
    Because placing bounties on players would end so well for the game, they might even get legal problems with that...
    CCP has had Bounties on players in EVE Online for awhile.
    Guardians:
    PR90 Smugjugs@Seastone (Briarcliff/Sunrest/Deepstrike/Dayblind)
    50 Unnamed@Seastone (Previously Bellicosa)

38 Scataracts@Seastone

50 Witchtits@Seastone (Defiant pending faction change)

11.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #11
    Rift Team

There is no love for PvP in it because it is not a PvP feature. It is something that a developer started working on in their off time, and we decided to turn into a release feature.

I'm sure he could have picked a different word for it - but this is the word he picked.

~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    There is no love for PvP in it because it is not a PvP feature. It is something that a developer started working on in their off time, and we decided to turn into a release feature.

I'm sure he could have picked a different word for it - but this is the word he picked.

~Daglar
    Buff Tempest.

~Daglar
    Hey Daglar,

That's really awesome, this is something I ranted on about in the forums a long while back and posted a few tickets and I was honestly unaware that some brave soul was willing to implement such a system, so it's nice to know that some people above the planes listen to my suggestions.

Another aspect I'm really looking forward to is PvP dimensions, I would gladly put the time and effort in to create some truly amazing warfronts for my fellow community to enjoy providing of course the system is accessible enough (so matchmaking is somewhat simple) and PvP dimension item limits are seperate from "house" dimensions. I've put quite a lot of work into my current dimension as im sure other people have and it would be a shame if the expensive of creating new pvp content would reduce the accesibility and creativity of the community as a whole. I understand that dimensions are a great way for people to spend a few credits on nice shiny items and I'm absolutely all for that but with regards to dimensions scale and cost is very important, you have to give the community plenty of breathing space because these dimensions are more than just showhouses, they could form a critical part of the future of Rift PvP.

Another thankyou, i posted in :
    http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ed-change.html

A few changes, most notably a new conquest map, nice to hear you are working behind the scenes on a steppes map, I do however hope you position extractors a little bit better because stillmoor feels very open most of the time and has little cover and terrain to take advantage of. Also, I think turrets and lifesprings and the usefulness of siege weaponry needs to be improved so sourcestone has a real vital purpose in the war between factions. Cannons are cool, people like cannons, especially cannons they can get inside (and mechs, dont forget mechs!) and shoot at incoming zergs. Many of that functionality already exists, it would be nice if it could be extended into PvP.

One old suggestion I would like to bring back up for you would be card battles, a type of mini game/collectible game where you can obtain cards from specific monsters with rares that drop now and then and obviously small cheap booster packs from the rift store. If the game was engaging enough and "fair" enough, then you could really implement an element of risk into rift which is truly lacking (where you lose a card to your opponent if you lose etc), these could also appear in lock boxes and all kinds of places across telara with notable raid enemies and abilities or spells.

But yeah, I ramble, Kudos to you all for the consideration and those who took the time to work on the aforementioned developments.

Whoever it is that is working on the bounty hunter system, You are a legend this will make open world PvP soooo much better. The only issues will be balance issues between classes but at the end of the day it's all for fun, nothing stopping people double teaming and splitting the bounty

Edit: Ok not a pvp feature on bounties, but still, the other praises still hold true!
    Last edited by V1rul3n7; 01-23-2014 at 11:29 AM.
    -=[ Virulent - 65 - P100 | Harlakk - 65 - P100 | Ascaroth - 62 - P95 | Brahman - 65 - P92 ]=-
    -=[ VirulentX - 70 - P100 | Harlakk - 70 - P92 | Ascaroth - 60 - P10 | BrahmanX - 1 - P0 ]=-
    | VIRALIST: 65 |

There is no love for PvP ~snip~

~Daglar
    Just practicing for my future political campaigning.
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

Rift Disciple

The bounty system in UO was nice for a time. The only problem was murderers, the most active ones with the biggest bounties, almost never ran solo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast