+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Built in teamspeak/vent in PVP

Soulwalker

Default Built in teamspeak/vent in PVP

I play a lot of Rift since coming back to the game. I was on it a lot before too and only ever stopped playing because of moving country etc so i have never really had any issues with the game.

I'd go so far as to say it's my fav MMO by a serious distance.

If i were to think what the most frustrating thing for me in the game is i would have to say that the sheer randomness and lemming like nature of some people in PVP/CQ combined with the lack of any kind of proper group tactic, those would be it. Note, that is not a Rift problem it's a human problem. Communication is key to tactics and there is no reason in this day and age to have to get pre-mades jsut to communicate easily/properly while in the heat of battle.

So i would like to suggest that Trion put an automatic Teamspeak/Ventrillo type function in the game. When you join a WF you automatically are put in the same channel as your team.

Naturally a lot of people don't speak the same language but i do still feel that this will be a big improvement as far as WFs and the tactics involved go. Not to mention improving the social aspect of PvP and the game in general greatly. There are probably other flaws too, but none so great that they would entirely negate the positives of this idea.

Obviously an ignore button will need to be there, but this is standard on console games etc i see no reason why Rift should not have it.

Actually, come to think of it, CQ may also benefit from this idea greatly.

Anyway, if you like this idea then lets see if we can nudge Trion towards implementing it.

Thanks for reading Rifters

or you can que with a premade on team speak/vent/skype - an amazing solution to your problem with current content!

Ascendant

As long as there's option to mute whoever I want without affecting volume from other sources I dont mind.
    PvP in RIFT is good only @forum.

Shield of Telara

It's a good idea.

Works well in a lot of games that do this.

Obviously there are always issues, like having to mute certain people that won't shut up and keep spamming the channel.

But either way, it's a good improvement both for the game and social factor of it.

As for the other person making the comment about joining a premade and jumping on a voice server that way, that's just bleh.. Why should anyone "have" to join a "premade" just to talk. Adding a voice system into the warfront or even LFG dungeon system, which ever, is a big plus as it means people can talk straight away and not rely on typing plus it can also create a better social environment.

Soulwalker

Default team/guild speak

Yeah would be great to get a in game vent for teams or guild vent i suport you all the way
    /nevermage

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Aveleys View Post
    or you can que with a premade on team speak/vent/skype - an amazing solution to your problem with current content!
    So I log on and want to PVP, maybe just for an hour. Using the content that's already in the game i now i have to find/make a pre-made and then queue. Then people leave the pre-made after a while and new members have to be found...and of course there's the players that don't have TS or Vent, joining channels etc etc

Thanks for the sarcasm though, very mature. Totally constructive as well. A++ for you.

I know that i would like an in game function like this and it seems i'm not alone.

LotRO had built-in voice chat. Guess what happened?

People ignored it and used Vent anyway. That didn't stop the built-in chat from lagging the game horribly.

It's a nice idea, but it doesn't work in reality.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Ardor View Post

People ignored it and used Vent anyway. That didn't stop the built-in chat from lagging the game horribly.

Well i would not ignore it and would find it better.

Also, there are other games where its used and it doesn't lag so in reality it doesn't not work all the time.

No way, if they ever do, that will mean the end of my playing the game. VOIP does not work over my connection, so forcing it would mean no more Rift for me. It would also exclude deaf players and anyone else who cannot use VOIP for whatever reasons.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kadeth View Post
    No way, if they ever do, that will mean the end of my playing the game. VOIP does not work over my connection, so forcing it would mean no more Rift for me. It would also exclude deaf players and anyone else who cannot use VOIP for whatever reasons.
    Huh? Well you could just turn it off.

Currently, during a WF there are only in my experience ever a few lines of strategy chat that happen anyway. Normally double or triple the amount of strategy chat is people dissing each other or the team when it becomes clear they are not gonna win. Taking this into account i don't think that deaf players would be totally excluded from the game. Of course some people will chose not to use this system and will still be able to type...deaf players can just do the same as them.

Again, just my opinion, but i don't think your argument stands up since nobody will be forced to use it and nobody will be excluded.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardor View Post

Because one game implementing it badly means all games will do it badly too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailolyergory View Post
    All, Please nerf paper it is too strong, but leave scissors alone they are fine.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

Plane Walker

I could see this working on a smaller scale in Warfronts. But for CQ it would have to be the raid your in only. It wouldn't work to take the place of the entire conquest channel.

I can hear them now...
    Ok, everyone to DP
    "Your mom is DP!"
    Ok everyone ignore such-and-such...
    "Ignore? That's what She said!"

The immaturity would be beyond astounding, and impossible to play with. I kept it clean too. The swearing would also be heavy and severe.
    Friends Don't let Friends buy Lock-boxes

in game VOIP is pointless

Quote Originally Posted by Blackvoid View Post
    Well i would not ignore it and would find it better..
    You would ignore it when you log in and there's only one other person on the channel and he appears to be an eight-year-old from Ecuador.

Quote Originally Posted by Bliter View Post
    Because one game implementing it badly means all games will do it badly too?

Them's fighting words! Put 'em up, porcupine! My goodness people are argumentative.

It means that there are products out there whose main business -- their specialty, their raison d'etre, if you will -- is to provide VOIP. They are always going to do VOIP better than a game developer who tacks it on to their game as an "extra".

How on earth is it to Trion's benefit to have to add development resources and infrastructure for functionality that several external companies specialize in? They will never do better than Vent/TS/Mumble.

From the players side: people tend to keep using what they are used to, and are reluctant to change. Also, remember that there are quite a few guilds whose players play multiple games together. They will always want third-party VOIP so they can chat while playing in Rift, or in LoL or whatever.

Again, I think in-game/game-specific voice chat sounds like a great idea. It just doesn't catch on in reality.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast