+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trion: Does any mechanism at all exist to balance warfront teams?

Plane Walker

Default Trion: Does any mechanism at all exist to balance warfront teams?

I ask this question due to what I just saw in a Warfront.

Early morning, not many people online.

This is how the two teams panned out, it is irrelevant which team was which or who won, though I am sure you can guess.

Team 1

Rogue
    Warrior
    Warrior

Team 2

Mage
    Mage
    Cleric
    Cleric
    Warrior

???

I don't understand. Is there absolutely no mechanism in place to balance teams?

Numbers, I can understand, our team grew after about 3 minutes, too late of course, but irrelevant all the same.

But this seems to indicate that there is absolutely no mechanism in place to ensure that Warfronts even have a reasonable share of classes.

What mechanisms do exist?

Rift Disciple

Team 2 was a premade, the other 3 players queuing got lumped into team 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeasike View Post
    Team 2 was a premade, the other 3 players queuing got lumped into team 1.
    Exactly. High probability that the supposition is fact.

Someone mentioned earlier in another thread that games seem much more matched if you're wearing some Myrmidon gear. I was dubious but I've been paying attention since I read that. And now that I am wearing some I seem to get into much, much better warfronts most of the time. I mean real knock down fights that go on and on, not like before where such matches were rare. It's like the difference between night and day. Maybe it's just a long string of coincidence. Just saying. And yeah, I still just pug.
    Specter
    R87 Mage - Wolfsbane, Guardian

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Drakanish View Post
    I ask this question due to what I just saw in a Warfront.

Early morning, not many people online.

This is how the two teams panned out, it is irrelevant which team was which or who won, though I am sure you can guess.

Team 1

Rogue
    Warrior
    Warrior

Team 2

Mage
    Mage
    Cleric
    Cleric
    Warrior

???

I don't understand. Is there absolutely no mechanism in place to balance teams?

Numbers, I can understand, our team grew after about 3 minutes, too late of course, but irrelevant all the same.

But this seems to indicate that there is absolutely no mechanism in place to ensure that Warfronts even have a reasonable share of classes.

What mechanisms do exist?
    team 2 was a premade, team one had 5 people that wanted to join but only 3 actually hit the join button

Other team has 5 people with 2 clerics, must be a premade. Theres no way RNG is random right?

my biggest pet peeve is one team with 8 clerics and one team with 0. seriously trion in a game based on damage and healing you have to split up the class with the most effective healing rolls at least. ffs nothing makes me madder than that when solo queing.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by dday View Post
    my biggest pet peeve is one team with 8 clerics and one team with 0. seriously trion in a game based on damage and healing you have to split up the class with the most effective healing rolls at least. ffs nothing makes me madder than that when solo queing.
    When warriors and rogues get their full healing souls, we will still complain on these forums that one team has all the clerics and that's why they win.

It's just easier to shove everything on the healing cleric's shoulders than for anyone to take up the burden of supporting others themselves. No one actually wants to put effort and tryhard at anything in life when someone else can do it for you.

Going back on topic, at this moment of time I doubt even if trion implemented a way to shove mages and clerics onto teams that need healers would make these people heal. And forcing people to stay one spec for an entire warfront just demolishes the game design of Rift. Are we going to have to demolish the whole "change soul as long as you're out of combat" thing to achieve a closer state of balance in this game? Or do people just have to "git gud"?

"microtransactions done properly is game design done poorly." - Some dude on an internet forum

Plane Walker

I agree Canda, you cannot force people into a role, though I did consider an option at one stage.

My beef would be this.

That grouping, no matter the cause, made for a pointless Warfront.

One team had NO OPTIONS for healers.

Trio could provide the options, if the players ignore it, that is their choice.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by dday View Post
    5 of those clerics will be warden, 2 will be inqui and 1 will be justicar. Most clerics are bad and balancing them out won't help much.

I've seen stuff like 8/10 rogues vs 7/10 mages, non premades.

The matchmaking system, regardless of the same person in these forums who will come in and defend it, is broken. And crap.

Full Myrmidon should not be matched (as I just was 5 minutes ago) with someone who just turned 60 in the last hour and was wearing full level 50 pvp gear.

If that isn't broken, I don't know what is.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Phreakuency View Post

Full Myrmidon should not be matched (as I just was 5 minutes ago) with someone who just turned 60 in the last hour and was wearing full level 50 pvp gear.

If that isn't broken, I don't know what is.
    This is why when my characters reach 60, I stop playing them(so far have quit my mage and cleric).

In the lower brackets this problem is a bit worse in regards to healers. I know the system isn't matching based on "possible healers"(class) because often times the clerics and mages are also imbalanced. I think the system should perhaps account for both the number of clerics and mages AND for those already in a healing role when they queue.

An example of what happens VERY often in the lower brackets would be entering a WF with 0 healers and not even 1 mage or cleric on 1 team. The opposite team will often have 3 or more clerics in healing roles in addition to mages playing chloro or a DPS role. I just got out of a warfront in the 50 bracket in which we have everybody in a DPS role with no mages or clerics and the other team had 4 clerics, a few mages, and at least 1 mage in a chloro role. This happens quite often in the 40-49 and 50-59 and has been increasingly common recently.

I queue with 5 healers/support and we obnoxiously take teams to victory from behind the curtains.

I'm just giving extreme examples but, I know one recent night for a couple hours we did defiler/defiler/bard-tact/chloro/beastmaster.

Another time we had a good time doing bard/bard-tact/sent/sent/dom. Got to have fun somehow.

I am sure we are not the only ones. Well, besides those unfortunate chances, I am not so sure the balancing system takes calling into account. At least when explained by devs, non have given the impression that it does.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Most premades still queue 4 out of 5 caster parties.. and they don't need to, they can queue full caster party. Shaman is very underrated as well in premades. The other two classes are no longer staples in premades outside of 5v5..
    Last edited by Flashmemory; 01-20-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Plane Touched

My point was that the lower brackets have substantially less premades, therefore you can't fully attribute the flawed matchmaking system to just premades. Even if premades were 100% to blame, then the system should still work around that.

Personally I wouldn't mind waiting more than 30 seconds to get in a match if the teams were so frickin borked that it was basically just a waste of a whole warfront because the options are wait 5+ minutes for better balancing, waste 10-15 minutes in an imbalanced WF, or 15 minutes for the deserter debuff.

Ascendant

What's weird is I thought the recent patch was supposed to help balance wfs but now it seems worse than before, a feat only trion could pull off.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast