+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Guns for Hire: Port Scion (ruins the game for me)

Plane Walker

Default Guns for Hire: Port Scion (ruins the game for me)

There are a lot of frustrating things about this game, but the one thing that really does ruin the game is the Port Scion win requirement in "Guns for Hire".

Every week, I end up spending hours of my free time on a character waiting for that queue to pop , then praying that my side will win. So far this week, I've literally wasted hours on this ...loss after loss. I already have [Battle for Port Scion Domination] achievement, and there's a lot of other things I'd rather do in the game than get the piddly amount of prestige I'll get on a losing side -- so it really is a total waste of time.

Anyway, it's stuff like this that ruins a game. Forcing you to waste time to complete a quest that you really do need.
    Last edited by Aelorean; 01-12-2014 at 01:04 PM.

it used to be three wins

if you really want that win i suggest /rwing your team what to do throughout the whole game and spamming your waypoint over and over again on the other team's idols until your team gets the hint
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

I spent an hr trying to get a pop on my mage and logged. This game just gets worse and worse every day hah

Plane Walker

The point I'm trying to make is that it shouldn't be like this. There is nothing on the PVE side of things that's this frustrating (I did PVE only for quite some time before moving to primarily PVP.)

I think it's an issue when the rest of the quest is easily doable in a day and ONE win in scion either takes a day or a week depending upon your luck.

It's just not necessary, in my opinion. Frankly, I think the quest should be "# wins in random warfronts" rather than specific ones...or, some other way that provides a fun experience rather than this perpetual frustration at A) getting scion queue to pop and B) getting on the winning team.

---
    EDIT: I should also point out that some of my frustration comes from the fact that I can typically only play late at night, when getting a scion queue to pop is really tough. So, when I actually have a couple hours to play during the daytime, it really bugs me when it's loss after loss ..and nothing I can do to fix it since most of the people on the team already have their win (or just don't care) and are just farming kills.
    Last edited by Aelorean; 01-12-2014 at 01:52 PM.

firstly, never queue port scion, or any other map, independently.

queue random. only ever queue random

you'll get all your guns for hire wins done in half the time, including port scion, by queuing random.

I see so much crying over this one needed win, yet it never seems a problem for me. it takes me longer to get the third codex win than it takes getting a single scion win through random queues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    firstly, never queue port scion, or any other map, independently.

queue random. only ever queue random

you'll get all your guns for hire wins done in half the time, including port scion, by queuing random.
    This is not true. I ran randoms until all of the other warfront quests in "Guns for Hire" were finished (including wins and losses.)

Actually, this week, I don't think scion popped at all in all the randoms that I did to get the other 6 wins....and that had to have been at least 10-15 randoms. So, there wasn't even a possibility of getting a win that way.

It's all about luck. Yes, some weeks you get the win right away in a random ..and that's awesome. But, sometimes you don't.

And, you said that you never had issues with port scion. I've never had it "this bad" before myself...and I'm almost rank 90. So, guess there is a first time for everything. But, even just one week of wasting hours on this **** is enough to make you upset, trust me.

EDIT:
    ------
    It might also be the time of day. If you're always playing during "prime time", then scion might be popping more for you because more players are involved. But some of us cannot play during this time. So, my randoms are always the small warfronts...
    Last edited by Aelorean; 01-12-2014 at 01:59 PM.

The point I'm trying to make is that it shouldn't be like this. There is nothing on the PVE side of things that's this frustrating (I did PVE only for quite some time before moving to primarily PVP.)

Nothing in PVE that is this frustrating? LOL What about a 20 man raid, that you run for 10+ weeks in a row, to try to get the item you want, only to bet beat out with a crap roll? Take the pluses with the minuses, and move on.
    Last edited by Happysack; 01-12-2014 at 02:09 PM.

Rift Chaser

Codex #1 map NA
    Last edited by Motoboat; 01-12-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Ascendant

I dont have much problem with this. If my team play really bad I go SIN and just hunt for enemy stone carriers. I may not win but ill have some fun at least :P

Queue times on EU shard are rather short, especially after the reset when everybody sign for WF while CQ is on cooldown.

If you think your team is going to lose ask your guild mate to place a banner and use rally scroll, this way you wont get the deserter debuff ;)
    PvP in RIFT is good only @forum.

I like Port Scion. In a good match, there's a lot of different places to throw your energy. I also enjoy watching how The Bridge vs The Church argument plays out. It's hilarious how passionate folks get.

Anyway, every time I start a new CQ I also get in the queue of Port Scion. It's amazing how often it will pop when CQ is going on. It works really well because you have something PVPish to do while you're waiting for Scion and if your CQ team is really dreadful you have a way out of there.

I've found that the best days to queue for PS is right off the bat starting from Wednesday reset. Everyone just wants to get it over with, and the more time goes by then the more have gotten done with it. I just do it for the 900 MM that Guns for Hire gives, not for any other reason (even though I like PS). Jump on PS queues as a priority right on Wednesday and Thursday, queues get longer after then.
    Specter
    R87 Mage - Wolfsbane, Guardian

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Aelorean View Post
    There are a lot of frustrating things about this game, but the one thing that really does ruin the game is the Port Scion win requirement in "Guns for Hire".

Every week, I end up spending hours of my free time on a character waiting for that queue to pop , then praying that my side will win. So far this week, I've literally wasted hours on this ...loss after loss. I already have [Battle for Port Scion Domination] achievement, and there's a lot of other things I'd rather do in the game than get the piddly amount of prestige I'll get on a losing side -- so it really is a total waste of time.

Anyway, it's stuff like this that ruins a game. Forcing you to waste time to complete a quest that you really do need.
    Here's an idea: don't complete the quest. Are you playing for fun, or to complete arbitrary tasks?

The best time to queue for a Port Scion is the instant Conquest ends since that is when the largest pool of people will be queuing random warfronts.
    MMO VAULT (Video Game Music) ➜ https://www.youtube.com/c/VideoGameMusicSoundtrack

Quote Originally Posted by Baramos View Post
    The best time to queue for a Port Scion is the instant Conquest ends since that is when the largest pool of people will be queuing random warfronts.
    Yeah I noticed this too.. I usually random into scion right after a cq ends..shrug..

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Taptap View Post
    I've found that the best days to queue for PS is right off the bat starting from Wednesday reset. Everyone just wants to get it over with, and the more time goes by then the more have gotten done with it. I just do it for the 900 MM that Guns for Hire gives, not for any other reason (even though I like PS). Jump on PS queues as a priority right on Wednesday and Thursday, queues get longer after then.
    Yea, I came to this conclusion halfway through the afternoon. I think you're absolutely right. My thought before was to just do randoms and hopefully get the scion within that (like the one guy suggested) ...but, the scion win was never happening.

So yea, next time Scion is part of the quest, I'm going to do this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nefelia View Post
    Here's an idea: don't complete the quest. Are you playing for fun, or to complete arbitrary tasks?
    Completing the quest is necessary for progression in a timely manner, and it's not good advice to lose out on a "once a week quest" because of one step of it. I think that anyone that spends most of their time with pvp tasks considers "Guns for Hire" a required weekly quest. (Unless you're out-of-town or unable to play.)

-------

Anyway, I did finally get it completed. It was about 5 hours after I started queuing for it..and, I think it was about 6 losses (today) or something like that. I still believe that basically forcing me to sit around waiting for queue to pop and then rolling the dice on getting a good team is poor game design. There are just other ways to reward "participation in pvp" that would be a lot less frustrating and wasteful of time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast