+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Valnak

Thread: A question of genuine curiosity

Default A question of genuine curiosity

If gifts didn't matter.... as in they didn't exist....

Would healing still be the dominant factor in matches?

Mei

yeah probably
    Fluent

Pure DPS and heal trees would lose a lot of passive bonus but equally. Seems like a redundant question. I think it would just equalize itself out to a reduced/same state. And yeah lots of HP would be lost in certain specs.

Where could this go though? I don't see what the point could be. I find gifts mostly just dictating for things like sub-soul selection.
    Last edited by Violacea; 01-04-2014 at 07:33 PM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

I think Gifts destroyed this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post
    I'll go so far as to stating I think they destroyed hybrids, and hence, most of this game. Gifts and 61pt abilities are for slaying dragons, not pvp imo.

We all know people get blown up too fast, yet cry when a pvp fight lasts more than 90+ seconds so I've always been a curious fan of removing gifts and seeing how it shakes out.

With the lack of gifts some abilities that seem OP would become useless, and others nobody bothers to use suddenly become useful.

The real crux is would it be any fun? Can't hurt to find out....

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post
    they certainly destroyed tank souls in pvp.
    remove the tank tax on tank gifts!

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Heals and anti-heals will always be the dominant factor in MMO PvP.
    "like i have been preaching since day 1 warrior is the king of being good against under geared bads. vs a competent player we have nothing. no cc no utility and sub par damage. even alacrity and temp are countered by a puri with ease. we have no answer for rogue melee, no answer for dom, and nothing to pressure a healer. (1 cc breaker in all our all souls and its a port backwards in a range soul FFS)" -dday 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Beluga View Post
    Unless you played DAoC... then it was CC. AoE instant Mez/Stun MMmmmmmmmm

Well why aren't you still playing Dark Age of Camelot? i hear they have servers up still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    Well why aren't you still playing Dark Age of Camelot? i hear they have servers up still.
    That's a great question. It's like saying... "why don't you drive that mustang with the 300hp anymore?" and I tell them... because I enjoy getting more than 11 miles to the gallon.

It all comes down to value for my time. Rift still commands my time due to friends inside of it, but the value has long since evaporated.

I'm still playing Rift, I'm just not stupid enough to pvp in it anymore. Elitists hate competition after all.

You would screw with a lot less numbers overall if you just asked if people would be okay with tank gifts being fully viable. That is almost the result of any benefit hybrids could get out of your proposition (un-wanted gifts with too much point investment being the problems). The equalizing factor to it all, which they don't get right now. This would just bring all souls to a equal on paper again.

Removing them completely would just alleviate the penalty some souls have for hybrid-ing them now with certain intentions. So, might as well just propose to either have equal gifts across the board or make them all fully functional in PvP. Removing them all would just be a balance mess for the whole game - unless you mean just pvp.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Wing man View Post
    Unless you played DAoC... then it was CC. AoE instant Mez/Stun MMmmmmmmmm
    CC's count as anti-heals in my book.
    "like i have been preaching since day 1 warrior is the king of being good against under geared bads. vs a competent player we have nothing. no cc no utility and sub par damage. even alacrity and temp are countered by a puri with ease. we have no answer for rogue melee, no answer for dom, and nothing to pressure a healer. (1 cc breaker in all our all souls and its a port backwards in a range soul FFS)" -dday 2013

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Beluga View Post
    not really. World of Warcraft is not about dumb pve heal and dps wars like storm legion is.

WoW is about CC and how to interrupt the healer, how to control the dps, how to work with your team. People can say what you will about Arena, but for a mmo it takes a lot more skill in 2s 3s and 5s learning to cc properly/switch targets ect,

then to sit there and wait for your pve female cleric to heal bot you all game while you spam pve dps macros and go pew pew for a hour.

That's why I loved pre storm legion, CC was much more important, hybrids existed, Rift pvp was great pre sl before it went to hell. SL just introduced zerg heal and dps races.

Always respected the pvpers who understood this and made their own content like screamo crew, and everyone else who actively participated in 5v5s or setting stuff up that requires more skill and focus.

MMO pvp will always have imbalances, it's hard to balance, but Blizzard has a full team to work on that, Trion used to have a pvp dev, but Storm Legion happened.

CC based MMO pvp will always be more balanced and require more skill then stupid Zerg DPS/HEAL wars, that's pretty much afk pve content.
    Last edited by Emofanboy; 01-05-2014 at 02:45 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Emofanboy View Post
    not really. World of Warcraft is not about dumb pve heal and dps wars like storm legion is.

WoW is about CC and how to interrupt the healer, how to control the dps, how to work with your team. People can say what you will about Arena, but for a mmo it takes a lot more skill in 2s 3s and 5s learning to cc properly/switch targets ect,

then to sit there and wait for your pve female cleric to heal bot you all game while you spam pve dps macros and go pew pew for a hour..

Healing is so forgiving in Rift compared to other games, healers can keyboard turn, stand with their feet glued to the floor, click and spam crucial crucial crucial mana regen crucial crucial fullness of life and be rewarded for it, sadly most of the dps in this game are just as bad if not worse though

+ Reply to Thread