+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: The new ELO system

Ascendant

Default The new ELO system

ELO improved things a bit, though I am not sure how it works... I still end up with wardens main healing.

I have no idea how it is possible for a warden to end up in a high ranked game.

Low ranked warden->5-10 CQ PM w or wo vials->Rank 55-70->More CQ PM->Rank 80-90->WF PM or solo que

Quote Originally Posted by Tookmyjob View Post
    ELO improved things a bit, though I am not sure how it works... I still end up with wardens main healing.

I'm telling you the elo system is just how many times you've clicked the objective.

I get my rating up 6 days a week then dump my effort by using 61rs for a day in every situation. Keeps things equalized.

Unless the system thinks scion stone returns means you are pro. Then I am probably the games best.
    Last edited by Violacea; 11-22-2013 at 07:14 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Champion of Telara

I dont think there are any high ranked games.

I ended up queued against you a couple of times over the weekend on my baby mage and i can tell you for sure that i would not be classed as high rank.

I'm not even in full freelancers yet. From my understanding so far the system produces a cross section of skill levels. Unfortunately that means most people just starting out are cannon fodder. Play better is not a valid argument when people like Nuku take me down in about 3 seconds.

I honsetly think this system needs lookin at and should take prestige levels into account whenever possible as well as the ELO ratings.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Pett View Post
    I dont think there are any high ranked games.

I ended up queued against you a couple of times over the weekend on my baby mage and i can tell you for sure that i would not be classed as high rank.

I'm not even in full freelancers yet. From my understanding so far the system produces a cross section of skill levels. Unfortunately that means most people just starting out are cannon fodder. Play better is not a valid argument when people like Nuku take me down in about 3 seconds.

I honsetly think this system needs lookin at and should take prestige levels into account whenever possible as well as the ELO ratings.
    I don't think prestige should be a part of it. The problem? I am >80 and I'm honestly not that good I just play a lot.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Hydron View Post
    I don't think prestige should be a part of it. The problem? I am >80 and I'm honestly not that good I just play a lot.
    Its not so much prestige level as gear level that seems to be throwing a spanner in the works from what ive seen.

Prestige is just the easiest, and an existing, way to prevent someone in quest greens getting queued against full Myrmidon geared wrecking balls.

There are no high ranked or low ranked games. Each team gets an equal number of high ranked players and low ranked players.
    robbinthehoodz@Greybriar

The matching system just attempts to even out the elos in queue for that match from what I gathered.

Plane Walker

Ah so thats why my P71 mage ends up in WFs full of people with full myrm sets.

Yes, Rob and Space nailed it. Dag literally explained this.

He pretty much said, for the sake of example, I'll rate 10 players 1 to 20: 2, 3, 3, 4, 10, 11, 12, 16, 16, 20.

2 - 3
    3 - 4
    10 - 11
    12 - 16
    20 - 16

47 vs 50 rating

From what I gather from his explanation, you can have a pool of players like that, and the match is created like that now. Matches can still have a gap of progression point players, but it I guess tries to even out who has how many higher rated players so its in theory still even. Opposed to what I guess could have been this prior, if the faction populations were right.

2 - 3
    3 - 11
    4 - 20
    10 - 16
    12 - 16

31 vs 66 rating.

A simple re-arranging of the numbers, if they have good ones, could mean a lot. But, the potential flaw lies in that depending how it does it, this could still ignore crucial balance aspects. And even these crucial aspects are not in full control (like spec choice of player). If 2 of the lower to mid rank players happen to be healers that got shifted to that team, and the guy with the huge 20 rating was just a DPS on a team with no heals, that is where even with ratings you can get sloped games. If that is how it even works at all, they won't tell though. If they won't tell us that must mean there is a way to manipulate and inflate the stats that lower and raise rating. Because otherwise knowledge would just help feedback and help players make sense of their game.

Players can be rated flawlessly, but the group composition can throw a lot of weight from ratings out the window. MMO basics. It's part skill, part class knowledge/group comp/gear. Not all of that can be accounted for by a stat tracking system. Also, the fact that this game won't ever random shuffle teams after players have entered a match and are in warm-up, is going to hold back better potential. Part of the issue of match making relies in the players coming into WF's with good teams or roles with synergy. So then it complicates the goal more when you realize you want to also allow people to still group up and play 'together'. But you shouldn't limit that, you should expect players to raise their standards imo~
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

The only thing that has disappointed me w new system is occaisionally can get a group of 14 rogues and 1 cleric etc. Tends to not work out for that team lol

Quote Originally Posted by Baalthorne View Post
    The only thing that has disappointed me w new system is occaisionally can get a group of 14 rogues and 1 cleric etc. Tends to not work out for that team lol
    Had that exact situation last night. Guyjax healed us like a madman and IIRC it was a pretty close game.
    robbinthehoodz@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Baalthorne View Post
    Surprisingly, I've found this to work in my favor (as chloro), as long as the team understands that peeling is a must. It does depend on the map type though.

I mean, think of all the potential damage a team like that can lay down. And if focusing....holy crap.

Shadowlander Tryndamere Barbarian King's Avatar

People keep talking about ELO, but the fact is ELO was developed for chess. Chess is a zero-sun game, one guy wins and one guy loses. This wont work in something like Rift *unless* the teams are comprised of the same 10 or 15 people each time. Since the teams are seemingly random, then ELO is meaningless. Just because you happen to be on a winning team doesn't mean your ELO rating should go up because there is a good chance you were carried. Most matches are determined by 2 or 3 people from either side, in my experience.

ELO works fine in games with real arenas, where the same people play on the same 3 man or 5 man team every time. Obviously this is not the case in rift, so I am not sure how exactly Trion is determining who the "best" players are. Sure, most of us can "eyeball" it and tell who the top players are in each class, but I doubt Trion has some guy sitting around watching every match saying "wow that warrior really knows his sh*t, I'm gonna give him a high ELO."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast