+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are the SL souls "required" to be competitive in PvP?

Soulwalker

Default Are the SL souls "required" to be competitive in PvP?

It's been a while since I've played, and I was thinking about returning to see if anything has changed. My main concern is with Cleric but I'm curious about the other classes too. For example, it's my understanding that Tempest is pretty much required since it's the only ranged option (besides Riftblade) available for Warriors.

Can I be competitive in PvP without the SL souls, or am I pretty much out of luck?

Sure. Defiler isn't even the most popular soul for its PvP role (ST healing) - that would be Sentinel. And there are other PvP roles (DPS, AE healing).

IDK about warriors. Half of them seem to just hate tempest on principle, as a symbol of Trion giving up at making viable melee. If tempest was good, they probably wouldn't admit it.
    I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Yes.

it gives your more overall damage output. The first few points into those SL souls grants you 10% more damage. If you plug that into the PvP equation. That's 3x more likely to kill a enemy player.

Quote Originally Posted by varlas View Post
    It's been a while since I've played, and I was thinking about returning to see if anything has changed. My main concern is with Cleric but I'm curious about the other classes too. For example, it's my understanding that Tempest is pretty much required since it's the only ranged option (besides Riftblade) available for Warriors.

Can I be competitive in PvP without the SL souls, or am I pretty much out of luck?
    Buying sl souls is the prerequisite for playing warrior
    Dogkin@seastone<the cult> - RIP <wipe>
    Dogkin@vigil <Dawn of Terror>
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing man View Post
    Women in pvp are a rare breed compared to your average soccer mom grinding mats for her children.

Rift Chaser

if you roll a warrior you better be having +5 tempest in your "completely free choice of viable builds from all souls to play the way you really want to"

The warrior soul is pretty useful for them.
    The cleric one is a good option to have at 60 but you could get by without it, just will be limited in versatility.
    The mage one is pretty cool if you want to melee on your mage.
    The rogue one is something you can get by without, unless you have a strange love for Tact. Which I know a couple who do .
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    The warrior soul is pretty useful for them.
    The cleric one is a good option to have at 60 but you could get by without it, just will be limited in versatility.
    The mage one is pretty cool if you want to melee on your mage.
    The rogue one is something you can get by without, unless you have a strange love for Tact. Which I know a couple who do .
    +1, but do not underestimate the power a 4 point investment can make for rogue soul
    Zenahk@Laethys

Cleric's other two ST heal souls are excellent and you can get by without Defiler...but...meh. I really really like playing Defiler so maybe I'm biased, but I think that played correctly, it's the strongest healing soul in almost every situation.

Harbinger is probably the best all-around off soul for mages. 5 points gives you a big SP boost and 0 points still gives you Lightning Charge. This is nice because the Harbinger crystal gives you a big SP boost if you're using Lightning Charge, so if you can't afford a bunch of synergy crystals yet, you can just use the Harb crystal until you build up your infinity stones. And I guess instead of spending your IS on crystals, you could spend them on Infinity Cauldrons, sell them for plat, use the plat to buy REXes, and use the REXes to buy the SL souls

tl;dr you can be competitive in mage and cleric without the SL souls, but you're still going to be a bit gimped, and it isn't that difficult to plat ---> REX ---> SL souls.
    Last edited by Stirby; 11-21-2013 at 08:49 PM.
    Stir@Greybriar
    Stirr@Greybriar
    Stirrr@Greybriar
    Stirrrr@Greybriar
    You have sent too many chat messages.

Tempest is the only one I would say is required to be competitive and even then just as a sub. The other souls are not required but even as subs they can bring nice options the other souls can't. I use Tactician in my Bards for WF objective play, Harb in my Chloro and I only run Defiler for ST heals.

But if money is tight, you don't need them to be competitive except with the warrior. Even then, I am not saying Tempest makes a War competitive, it adds some real convenience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailolyergory View Post
    All, Please nerf paper it is too strong, but leave scissors alone they are fine.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

Ascendant

Tactician kinda suck for healing, but he got some decent aoe stuff. Tempest is like MM on steroids
    PvP in RIFT is good only @forum.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysHealNeverDie View Post
    Tactician kinda suck for healing, but he got some decent aoe stuff. Tempest is like MM on steroids
    61 Tempest is viable in WF and CQ, in fact the CP/DP combo is one of the hardest hitting combos for ranged dps. The trouble is its hard cast and people usually run off before it casts. When it does work though its 25-40% of most dps health pool. I use the 61 when I have weak healers and face tanking as a Paragon isn't working. It's nice to be able to hug the heals and kite for safety.

As for being like an MM on steroids, it does play like a pre-SL MM. Very simple hard hitting ranged. Now that there are some CC skills low on the war trees, it might be possible to build some utility in a Tempest spec. The 61/10/5 dps build lacks any utility but maybe a snare or a strip could make it more versatile. Tbh, I haven't looked at any versions other than the 61, but this thread has me thinking its time to experiment with a day to day build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailolyergory View Post
    All, Please nerf paper it is too strong, but leave scissors alone they are fine.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

+ Reply to Thread