+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking Ahead: Questions about Level 60 PvP

Default Looking Ahead: Questions about Level 60 PvP

Hi there, folks.

I'm a recently returned player, looking for some advice. I played the game at launch, and quested my way up to 47. I left for a year or so, and recently returned. I've bumbled my way through quests and dungeons and I'm getting close to level 60. Once I hit 60, I'd like to focus on some pvp. I have a slew of questions, mostly random, and I'd love your input.

- I plan on being a healer (more on this below), but what is the best cleric DPS spec to play on the side, when I get bored? I levelled as a shaman and quite like it, is that viable in end game pvp?

- I prefer to heal via the use of mouseovers and keybinds. Is there a way to make this the default behaviour for all healing spells? A UI setting or an addon? Or do I have to write individual macros for ALL my spells?

- How does pvp progression work? I've heard there are ranks, and I'm assuming there is pvp specific gear, but are the specific reputations I need to work up? Currencies I need to earn? Will everything happen in an organic fashion if I just run War Fronts, or is there a specific path I should be following? I'd rather not do things the wrong way and end up wasting a bunch of time.

- Speaking of gear, how do sets work? Are there set bonuses? Is there one pvp piece per slot, and that's all I get? Or are there multiple choices per slot, and I need to worry about stat balancing. What stats should a pvp healing cleric focus on? Wisdom? Crit?

- As I finish up my last few levels, should I be spending Planar Attunement points in the pvp tree? Is that important? Or is the difference negligable.

- Way back when I started, I remember there was a PvP specific soul, but I haven't seen anyone mention it in any guides. Did it go away?

- Last question, for now. As mentioned above, I want to focus on healing in pvp. I happen to be a cleric, so I'm off to a good start. Most people advised me to go Sentinel main spec, for useful cooldowns and single target burst healing. But there's no consensus on a supporting soul. I'm looking at Purifier for a couple buffs and cooldowns, as well as some instant heals (for when I need to run run away). I whipped up a spec, please take a moment to let me know if it's decent or if it will get me killed:

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#mkpag2/pG9l2BiGEEw/q

Thanks for taking the time to read, and hopefully respond. There's no need to answer every question, any advice is appreciated. Heck, if you have random tips for a newbie, I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by shaidyn View Post
    Hi there, folks.

I'm a recently returned player, looking for some advice. I played the game at launch, and quested my way up to 47. I left for a year or so, and recently returned. I've bumbled my way through quests and dungeons and I'm getting close to level 60. Once I hit 60, I'd like to focus on some pvp. I have a slew of questions, mostly random, and I'd love your input.

- I plan on being a healer (more on this below), but what is the best cleric DPS spec to play on the side, when I get bored? I levelled as a shaman and quite like it, is that viable in end game pvp?

- I prefer to heal via the use of mouseovers and keybinds. Is there a way to make this the default behaviour for all healing spells? A UI setting or an addon? Or do I have to write individual macros for ALL my spells?

- How does pvp progression work? I've heard there are ranks, and I'm assuming there is pvp specific gear, but are the specific reputations I need to work up? Currencies I need to earn? Will everything happen in an organic fashion if I just run War Fronts, or is there a specific path I should be following? I'd rather not do things the wrong way and end up wasting a bunch of time.

- Speaking of gear, how do sets work? Are there set bonuses? Is there one pvp piece per slot, and that's all I get? Or are there multiple choices per slot, and I need to worry about stat balancing. What stats should a pvp healing cleric focus on? Wisdom? Crit?

- As I finish up my last few levels, should I be spending Planar Attunement points in the pvp tree? Is that important? Or is the difference negligable.

- Way back when I started, I remember there was a PvP specific soul, but I haven't seen anyone mention it in any guides. Did it go away?

- Last question, for now. As mentioned above, I want to focus on healing in pvp. I happen to be a cleric, so I'm off to a good start. Most people advised me to go Sentinel main spec, for useful cooldowns and single target burst healing. But there's no consensus on a supporting soul. I'm looking at Purifier for a couple buffs and cooldowns, as well as some instant heals (for when I need to run run away). I whipped up a spec, please take a moment to let me know if it's decent or if it will get me killed:

http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#mkpag2/pG9l2BiGEEw/q

Thanks for taking the time to read, and hopefully respond. There's no need to answer every question, any advice is appreciated. Heck, if you have random tips for a newbie, I'm all ears.
    Going to answer this in # form! to calm my OCD.
    1 YES HEALER. For dps, shaman, Druid, and inq I hear are good.
    2 sorry man, I just click raid frames as they get low
    3 DALIES WEEKLIES CQ! Everything you need is in the pvp room in tb, and the rift store. Your in luck Trion nerfed the grind to pr80. Always do the pvp DALIES from the guy at the entrance, and get your weeklies done before/on every Tuesday (weeklies reset wens day)
    CURRNCIES: favor earned by any for of pvp is used to buy freelancer gear (fl) next is warlord (wl) you need wl marks and favor for this. Last is myrmidon (myr) using more favor and their own myr marks. For prestige level/pvp ranks cq is by far the fastest way to get them.
    4 gear, just get the gear in order, fl>wl>myr. Don't worry about runes (enchants) until myr.
    5 PA... FOCUS WISDOM! Go for wisdom in any tree.
    6 pvp souls... Gone.
    7 I don't play my cleric much, sorry.

BIG TIP. ALL WARDROBES BUT PREMIUMS CAN BE EARNED IN GAME.
    ALSO, ALWAYS TRY TO GET ON THR CQ PREMADE!
    Last edited by Paradoxing; 11-21-2013 at 10:44 AM.
    Paradoxing 60/90 M.Dwarf Defiant

Starting at 60 makes your life real hard, I did the same thing. My advice is a little different but it worked for me. Start healing warfronts now lol. As sentinel or defiler. Once your at 60
    Reset and/or start puttings your planar points into the war tree. You are pvp’ing there is no going back. Spend as much time in QC as you can. It is great way to farm favor to get all your freelance gear plus you need the marks to buy lesser essence for your planar belt. Put runes on everything even if they are crap low levels ones. 20 – 30 points in wisdom/ endurance does make a difference.

Be prepared for the name calling, all matches are lost because the healer sucks, is a bad and needs to learn to play. Don’t worry about this, a lot teens have bad attitudes these days and they hang their heads here in Rift warfronts.

Your gear or the lack of it is your biggest enemy. The fully geared myrmidon tanks sits at over 65k in hp. Your gear will only allow to heal for maybe 2-5k. If you’re the only healer you just have to suck it and do your best. If there are better geared healers, stay in the back of the pack and serve as a back up healer.

Now for souls. For QC I would say 61 warden, study the rotations in the many guides here on the forum. I see healers pop wave of renewal and cast nothing else, until it is done. Warden is meant to be a aoe healer but it has fantastic bursting power if you manage your cool downs.

In warfronts 61 defiler. Use your 20 and 30 percent links on anyone you are casting a heal on more then 3 times. These links compensate from your lack of healing power do to gear.
    As you get into a full set of freelancer gear then start playing with sentinel builds. Stay away from them for now since they require standing around is a safe location to cast heals. With the lack of gear you are a 1 shot target and need to keep moving. For addons grab a dps meter, this will help your track your own healing progress as you get better geared and track dps who is worth healing. You’ll have those matches where someone will have to die and picking the wrong player will cause the team to wipe. I won’t go into exact point builds because that is what makes Rift pretty cool. You can have 3 sentinels with 3 different varitats to match their own play style.
    Corinze@Wolfsbane

Inquisitor is the best DPS spec for a low-geared solo queue. And the best overall, IMO. Here is my PvP inquisitor spec: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#nGaGyGllkBh0/Eggw/ru . Shaman can do good damage but is very deathy without a dedicated healer, and especially with low gear.

Check out Click Box Healer addon - it may be able to do some of that, and it's worth using anyway even if it can't, just for the more customizable raid frames. But all my mouseover stuff is on macros. I have dozens. TBH I am trying to move back towards targeting people to heal them, because it gives me better indicators of their position (they light up on the map, and I've set target's nameplate to be larger and bolded).

Sadly, progression is still mostly from Conquest. You get your daily warfront win, and your weekly warfront wins quest, but those are quickly finished. To have maximum weekly progression you must finish the conquest victory and conquest kills quests. This will take longer. At least you can get conquest marks (for essences) from daily "world PvP" quests now - which are easy and rarely even result in PvP.

You can, and should, start buying the Freelancer set before you hit 60. You can't use it yet, but you can buy it. It will upgrade to higher sets later. Seal and essences come from conquest marks. Before you buy essences, get the purple sigil/source machine from the conquest merchant INSIDE the conquest map. I believe you will have to convert some new CQ marks into old CQ marks to do this. The item is antiquated, but is still the best PvP item in the slot.

Rune your gear. Blue runes if that's all you can afford, but aim for the orange ones eventually. You can remove runes from gear before you upgrade it, with a 144-credit item, so you don't necessarily have to wait to buy orange runes. Concentrate on endurance runes ("adamant", "resolute") where you can get them, and wisdom and spellpower elsewhere. Buy 1h/OH weapons instead of a 2H - they have better options for runes and consumables.

Get Valor out of the first two tiers. Nothing else is very important. Max Fire PA until you get the free +160 spellpower weapon consumable, then use that constantly. Unless you plan to buy powerstones all the time. Otherwise just fill as you like. Nothing is tremendously better than anything else, and you can get it all eventually.

Gone. A few of the abilities made it into the PvP PA tree, in nerfed-to-the-ground versions.

- Last question, for now. As mentioned above, I want to focus on healing in pvp. I happen to be a cleric, so I'm off to a good start. Most people advised me to go Sentinel main spec, for useful cooldowns and single target burst healing. But there's no consensus on a supporting soul.

If you're sentinel, you want to be at least 58 sentinel. The 58-point aura is very good. You may or may not get use out of the 61-point ability, though it is good in PvE. The most popular sentinel offspec is 15 purifier, mostly for passive bonuses. Though you will use healing flare as a spammable instant heal. For low gear levels I'd recommend at least five justicar for +10% HP. It will help keep you alive long enough to actually use your heals instead of just splattering.
    Last edited by Stay; 11-21-2013 at 12:24 PM.
    I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Default .....

heal using 61 sent 10 warden 5 puri. do not dps in wfs. roll a war, rogue alt for dps.

do not buy a shield, ever ever ever ever ever. do not play warden in wfs ever ever ever ever.

my work here is done.

may the odds forever be in your favor.

Default .....

"Your gear or the lack of it is your biggest enemy. The fully geared myrmidon tanks sits at over 65k in hp. Your gear will only allow to heal for maybe 2-5k. If you’re the only healer you just have to suck it and do your best. If there are better geared healers, stay in the back of the pack and serve as a back up healer."

your biggest enemy is YOU if you are healing a tank in PvP.

im fully geared and sitting at 59k... what am I doing wrong?

Really Azabar are we going to have a debate over Rift and warfrants and the fact that pvp really is/ is not pvp looooolllllllllll. If your lacking a few ks in hp eat your Wheaties son and use 2% milk and not beer

Seriously in a PS there were 2 players, rogue/Kroc* who asked to be healed and a tank sitting at 65K. I kept 20/30 links on them both and they pretty much steamrolled everything. Another match in codex a tank guarded statue and always kept 2-5 players occupied and needed heals every so often. Now was this pvp, was it the right thing to do? Who cares, I had fun and the team won both matches. You out of all people should know rift pvp is not about teamwork it is about individuals doing what they want to do because they are better/ know more than everyone else

Then again maybe with all the raid buffs a tank sits at 65k. I have seen about 3 or 4 so far. If watching a tank get healed is to painful don't pug a match - lol.
    Corinze@Wolfsbane

+ Reply to Thread