+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mongolianmisfit
  • 1 Post By Malcanthe

Thread: Warfront Matching Mechanism - My take on it

Rift Disciple

Default Warfront Matching Mechanism - My take on it

While I feel that all attempts to match the warfronts have failed utterly, I am pleased to see that there are finally some attempts at improving it.
    This is my shot at it, simplified obviously.

The goal is to
    1. make less likely that you have 10 badly balanced wf in a row
    2. strive to put people on their "home" team
    3. still not have players wait too long for a pop

Forget all about trying to match based on prestige rank, equipment level, available roles, premades and what have you. Ignore any Conquest and Open World stats, only look at warfront stats.

WHEN player joins warfront queue
    CALCULATE win ratio
    IF less than 15 matches played for last 7 days
    WR = 0.25
    ELSE
    WR = warfront matches won / warfront matches played during last 7 days

WHEN 10+ players queued for warfront pick the first 5 on each side from Defiant and Guardian queue respectively regardless of WR

DELAY start of warfront until both sides have the same number of players actually spawned in the warfront

WHILE queue not empty and warfront running
    CALCULATE respective teams total WR
    EXAMINE player pair from queue
    IF adding players to respective "home" team does not worsen TEAM WR imbalance, ADD players to warfront home teams
    ELSE IF player has waited > 1 minute, ADD players to warfront as mercenaries
    ELSE move on to test next pair in the queue
    ENDWHILE

Shadowlander

aww yiss, i foresee great things for this q system

>be me
    >load into wf
    >look at roster
    >15 decent clerics on my side
    >15 decent warriors on the other side
    >5 of the clerics on my side r heal spec
    >gg

tbh fair q'ing in this sense has been researched to death. the main issue will always be determining player skill using a number, and that's especially true in matches with large and dynamic numbers (e.g. joining midway thru a 15v15). there r further complications due to the nature of objectives in rift wfs. there are a multitude of algos that u can use to distribute teams with once u have a legitimate ranking system in place. nothing efficient is going to involve going down the q and examining pairs of players

plus the new q is attempting to implement some form of ELO in matchmaking so...yeah. thanks for demonstrating ur love for SQL??? idk man

I havent had losing streaks solo queuing since 2.5. It was worse after the merge but with the new system my win/lose increased again.
    Noisia@Deepwood//Cleric Guardian [secret Ntype]
    this game is dead, goodbye \o/

This algorithm seems similar to the one Daglar described, especially if the mysterious player rating is a function of win/loss ratio, which it probably is to a large extent.

The main difference I see is that this algorithm still picks the first 10 players based solely on faction, while Trion's algorithm tries harder to produce more even teams. Personally I don't care too much about the role-playing aspect, so I prefer Trion's version, even if it means getting merc'd more.

Default 3-30 in Wf's since 2.5

I know I must suck... but before this new system I apparently didn't suck as bad. Losing 90% of the time isn't "random". Plus WTH are my patron vials? They aren't even updating at all so far this week? I know they will be restored in Wednesday Patch, but why aren't they accumulating this week?

Quote Originally Posted by trademarc View Post
    I know I must suck... but before this new system I apparently didn't suck as bad. Losing 90% of the time isn't "random". Plus WTH are my patron vials? They aren't even updating at all so far this week? I know they will be restored in Wednesday Patch, but why aren't they accumulating this week?
    ======== UPDATE!========
    Lost 6 straight today! For a combined 3-36 record. WF's are fair and balanced just like Faux Newz!

Quote Originally Posted by trademarc View Post
    ======== UPDATE!========
    Lost 6 straight today! For a combined 3-36 record. WF's are fair and balanced just like Faux Newz!
    People will still lose several in a row, don't get me wrong.

But numbers like that speak of a system diving down deep to find your level of bad (i.e. specifically who they have to put on the other side of the aisle to make up for you on your team). My question would be whether you were on some sort of winning faction for a long time, or maybe queued with some strong talent.

Here is my take. It doesn't work and people are terrible at a very easy game.

You have Ifs but no Endifs, this script will not work.
    Stir@Greybriar
    Stirr@Greybriar
    Stirrr@Greybriar
    Stirrrr@Greybriar
    You have sent too many chat messages.

+ Reply to Thread