+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dahliablood

Thread: Armor/resistance penetration

Default Armor/resistance penetration

how worth it is it to stack penetration? how much damage does armor actually mitigate in pvp?
    ~ | Fiskerton | Fiskermage | Fiskerheals | Fiskerbear | ~

I'm a homeless stray of a raider

You'd have to log on and go read the tooltips for armor.

But for resistances - for all non-tank specs the spell mitigation is around 20%. For tanks it's probably around 35% - 45%.

Mages have 35% armor mitigation I think, probably lower.
    The only way that someone from Cluster 2 is actually as bad as you all say is if they started playing this game in 2.3 (Free to Play launch).

Proud officer and Mage class lead of <Zombies>

Quote Originally Posted by Fragasm View Post
    You'd have to log on and go read the tooltips for armor.

But for resistances - for all non-tank specs the spell mitigation is around 20%. For tanks it's probably around 35% - 45%.

Mages have 35% armor mitigation I think, probably lower.
    I have absolutely no idea what you're referring to, but if you're saying what I think you're saying, you couldn't be more wrong :/

To the op:

Armor and resistances have an extremely small impact on pvp. So small that it's not even worth discussing. The only time it ever "somewhat" matters is if you are in a full tank spec. Although even then the endurance you recieve from a tank spec is 10x more important than the armor/resistances that you also receive. What matters most is that you have every one of your equipment slots filled with pvp gear (even your seal and essences).

Instead of armor for pvp we have valor and instead of armor penetration we essentially have vengeance. Valor reduces the dmg you take from enemy players and vengeance increases the damage that you do to enemy players. Another main source of survivability comes from endurance. Endurance is highly underestimated by many pvpr's and worth stacking (endurance gives you health). All of the pvp gear gives you valor and vengeance. There are also vengeance runes for many of the armor slots, but none for valor.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoke View Post
    I have absolutely no idea what you're referring to, but if you're saying what I think you're saying, you couldn't be more wrong :/

To the op:

Armor and resistances have an extremely small impact on pvp. So small that it's not even worth discussing. The only time it ever "somewhat" matters is if you are in a full tank spec. Although even then the endurance you recieve from a tank spec is 10x more important than the armor/resistances that you also receive. What matters most is that you have every one of your equipment slots filled with pvp gear (even your seal and essences).

Instead of armor for pvp we have valor and instead of armor penetration we essentially have vengeance. Valor reduces the dmg you take from enemy players and vengeance increases the damage that you do to enemy players. Another main source of survivability comes from endurance. Endurance is highly underestimated by many pvpr's and worth stacking (endurance gives you health). All of the pvp gear gives you valor and vengeance. There are also vengeance runes for many of the armor slots, but none for valor.
    I was saying the different percentages - letting him make his own decision. Not all specs and roles ignore armor and resistances.
    The only way that someone from Cluster 2 is actually as bad as you all say is if they started playing this game in 2.3 (Free to Play launch).

Proud officer and Mage class lead of <Zombies>

Ascendant

I run around naked and punch people with my fists.

IRL
    Last edited by Wrastion; 11-10-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Penetration is always worth it.
    Awesome game. #1 PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragasm View Post
    I was saying the different percentages - letting him make his own decision. Not all specs and roles ignore armor and resistances.
    .....? Those percentages have nothing to do with pvp. Those resistance and armor percentages on your character screen are purely meant to show the reductions you have for damage coming from monsters.

Even if you double your armor as cleric by using a shield, the max reduction that you get in pvp is an extra 5-6%. You lose a **** ton of spell power by wearing a shield, making it an extremely dumb decision to use one. That's why clerics running around with shields on in defiler get mocked and bullied.

Bottom line is armor and resistances are negligible in pvp and should never, ever be a priority. Even if you're in some dumb warrior tank spec, which is absolutely useless for anything but cq and maybe scion (maybe they are now after the warrior patch though, maybe but prob not), the main thing you should be aiming for is maxing your health/endurance. Armor/resistances are always the least important stats in any pvp situation.
    Last edited by Yoke; 11-10-2013 at 07:24 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Yoke View Post
    .....? Those percentages have nothing to do with pvp. Those resistance and armor percentages on your character screen are purely meant to show the reductions you have for damage coming from monsters.

Even if you double your armor as cleric by using a shield, the max reduction that you get in pvp is an extra 5-6%. You lose a **** ton of spell power by wearing a shield, making it an extremely dumb decision to use one. That's why clerics running around with shields on in defiler get mocked and bullied.

Bottom line is armor and resistances are negligible in pvp and should never, ever be a priority. Even if you're in some dumb warrior tank spec, which is absolutely useless for anything but cq and maybe scion (maybe they are now after the warrior patch though, maybe but prob not), the main thing you should be aiming for is maxing your health/endurance. Armor/resistances are always the least important stats in any pvp situation.
    That's only because the percent mitigation from armor/resist is so low. Most players have around 20%, so even if you ignore part of it, at best you increase your damage by like 5%. If players had closer to 40%, especially with the semi-logarithmic curve those defenses have, penetration becomes exponentially more valuable.

That being said, there's no real way to stack penetration, it's either part of your classes package or it isn't, and most of the damage numbers are balanced assuming you have the penetration from that tree.

+ Reply to Thread