+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Elo system sucks

Default Elo system sucks

Yes, I sound bad when I say that. But here's why:
    - Wins/losses don't truly show the 'skill' of a player. A healer will not sway the outcome of a match ENOUGH for it to matter.
    - I'm between #1 and number #3 healer in almost every match, but I've got nothing to show for it. Skill isn't wins/losses, its how much healing output I contributed and how many people I saved.
    - My team shouldn't be what decides my skill. 9/14/19 pugs shouldn't be what determines my 'skill'. As a single player, I will not contribute enough for a win or a loss to determine my skill. The zerging and luck of the draw will be what makes a win. I'm not a bad player if I get unlucky.

Thanks for reading. I would really like for Trion to institute a better system.
    The only way that someone from Cluster 2 is actually as bad as you all say is if they started playing this game in 2.3 (Free to Play launch).

Proud officer and Mage class lead of <Zombies>

Why am I not surprised you started this thread.
    Landslide - Greybriar. ( Vendetta )
    (\_xxLand_/)
    RIP RatedX. >.<!

FFS, they didn't even SHOW the stupid rating, and you're already super defensive about your low rating.

Do you just like assume yours will be low?
    I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Quote Originally Posted by Stay View Post
    FFS, they didn't even SHOW the stupid rating, and you're already super defensive about your low rating.

Do you just like assume yours will be low?
    I don't care about my number being seen. I'm getting placed on the same team/match as bads and its obnoxious.

In my last warfront, Karthan Ridge, one of the Chloros ran a stone to our own power sink. He didn't even realize which team he was on. He also was wearing half level 50 PvP gear, some Freelancer gear, and then a lot of missing spots. He was 200k Healing below me.

I'm not a crappy player but I've been unlucky today in placement and I'm suffering because of it.

Elo doesn't work in team games.
    The only way that someone from Cluster 2 is actually as bad as you all say is if they started playing this game in 2.3 (Free to Play launch).

so let me get this straight you admit to being a casual not very good player and you are getting paired up with other not very good players and you are complaining? sounds logical for these forums

also the system is not strictly based on wins its based on how you play if i read dags post correctly

Quote Originally Posted by dday View Post
    so let me get this straight you admit to being a casual not very good player and you are getting paired up with other not very good players and you are complaining? sounds logical for these forums

also the system is not strictly based on wins its based on how you play if i read dags post correctly
    Casual does NOT equal bad, I don't know why people think this. I'm a half decent player, better than a lot of these people. But one person can't sway a match so my luck of getting on a certain team shouldn't be deciding who I play with in the future.

I was for the match making system in the hopes of balance but this is a turn off for PvP.

And I swear I saw it said an Elo system unless someone can prove otherwise - I've been losing 2/3 warfronts and the people are getting progressively worse that I'm with.
    Last edited by Fragasm; 11-07-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Fragasm View Post
    I don't care about my number being seen. I'm getting placed on the same team/match as bads and its obnoxious.

In my last warfront, Karthan Ridge, one of the Chloros ran a stone to our own power sink. He didn't even realize which team he was on. He also was wearing half level 50 PvP gear, some Freelancer gear, and then a lot of missing spots. He was 200k Healing below me.

I'm not a crappy player but I've been unlucky today in placement and I'm suffering because of it.

Elo doesn't work in team games.
    And...this is why Daglar said in another thread he won't be telling us how the ELO is calculated. I seriously just replied saying this kind of thread would happen if he did. Hell it didn't even get that far, cause we don't know how it's calculated. Yet here is the QQ. But Frag, have faith. He also said they are watching this stuff, so adjustments could still happen!

I haven't been able to get into a WF yet personally. I may likely end up on the low side of the curve too. I know I'm not very good at PvP. I have no delusions about it. But I am good at knowing what tactics need to be carried out to hopefully get a W. /shrug

Champion

Aren't you being matched up against equally as bad players?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyloch View Post
    And...this is why Daglar said in another thread he won't be telling us how the ELO is calculated. I seriously just replied saying this kind of thread would happen if he did. Hell it didn't even get that far, cause we don't know how it's calculated. Yet here is the QQ. But Frag, have faith. He also said they are watching this stuff, so adjustments could still happen!

I haven't been able to get into a WF yet personally. I may likely end up on the low side of the curve too. I know I'm not very good at PvP. I have no delusions about it. But I am good at knowing what tactics need to be carried out to hopefully get a W. /shrug
    Hopefully you're right. But my first warfront, the people were fine. Last warfront (10 later) was terrible.

What was the point in the ranking anyway? Why not just have it matched based on prestige and make it a Red v Blue? Why did we need ranking?

Quote Originally Posted by Dad123 View Post
    Aren't you being matched up against equally as bad players?
    Well if its Elo like I think, then I'm being matched up against bad players because I'm perceived to be bad because Elo is wins/losses. And I've lost a lot.

I'm a fine player.

Champion

Kind of makes it balanced then no?

Quote Originally Posted by Dad123 View Post
    Kind of makes it balanced then no?
    No because I'm actually good(ish) or at least better than a lot of these people. I shouldn't be paired with them.

- Wins/losses don't truly show the 'skill' of a player. A healer will not sway the outcome of a match ENOUGH for it to matter.
    - I'm between #1 and number #3 healer in almost every match, but I've got nothing to show for it. Skill isn't wins/losses, its how much healing output I contributed and how many people I saved.
    - My team shouldn't be what decides my skill. 9/14/19 pugs shouldn't be what determines my 'skill'. As a single player, I will not contribute enough for a win or a loss to determine my skill. The zerging and luck of the draw will be what makes a win. I'm not a bad player if I get unlucky.

lol you care

Telaran

Well if its Elo like I think, then I'm being matched up against bad players because I'm perceived to be bad because Elo is wins/losses. And I've lost a lot.
    The system tries to make a balanced warfront using a mix of good and bad players.

If you're the kind of person who is annoyed by new or bad players, you might not like the new system, because you'll always have a bunch of us in your match.

According to the post Daglar made here, it looks like they do NOT separate warfronts by ELO score. It looks like the system tries to evenly distribute all tiers of players in the same warfront.

If I read that right, it's completely not what I expected. I thought the tiers would be on separate warfronts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast