+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Violacea

Thread: Universal Melee buffs: Which melee souls will be OP? Which will still be bad?

Default Universal Melee buffs: Which melee souls will be OP? Which will still be bad?

I don't know enough about Rogue & Warrior to comment on those, but for Cleric & Mage:

Justicar:
    Will still be bad.

A movespeed increase is irrelevant, as being kited was not the problem with Justicar PvP. The problem was the common PvP tank problem: low baseline DPS, compounded by the PvP-only nerf to the tank soul gifts (0% damage per point instead of 0.5%).

Other tank souls make up for this to some extent via utility and hybrid potential. Justicar has almost none of those things. A minor healing vampirism debuff every 15s is entirely ignorable by opponents, just like everything else about justicars.

Druid:
    Will still be bad.

The pet damage buff is triple what other souls are getting for player damage buffs. But pet damage is typically a low percentage of druid's overall damage in PvP - triple probably isn't enough. And it's harder to coordinate a pet-based burst. This is a minor boost to what was a rather awful PvP soul. It will still be bad.

Shaman:
    Potentially viable.

Shamans can do a lot of damage in four attacks, given proper use of cooldowns. I can imagine weaker characters getting three-globaled by a charging shaman, especially if it's in the middle of a big group.

But shaman lacks mobility aside from the charge and the charge has no CC attached. So being kited or peeled is a problem. There may be a lot of "waiting for charge to come back up" gameplay. It won't be the worst melee soul, but it won't be the best either. Very heal-needy also.

Harbinger:
    Very promising.

Harb looks the clear winner of Cleric/Mage souls. Harb charge has a four second stun attached, long enough to dump all your bonus attacks on a helpless victim. If the entirety of Tempest Winds gets the buff, it also has the highest-value single attack of any soul so far. And the charge is neither Harb's only mobility nor its only CC, which makes getting kited or peeled less problematic.

More importantly, Harb can do full damage from range, with a 50% uptime. And some (all?) angel-form attacks have range. Nothing I've seen suggests that the bonus damage after charging only applies while in melee - likely it simply buffs the next four attacks, period. If that's the case I can see Harbs charging into a crowd for the buff, then immediately backing off to dump bonus-damage attacks from range. There looks to be a lot of potential here for players who can make it work.
    Last edited by Stay; 11-06-2013 at 02:43 PM.
    I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

Shaman "Potentially viable". Harbinger " Very Promising". Lul.

Shaman was viable before the buffs, even more now. The fact that you put Harb over Shaman makes me think you don't know your class as well as you think you do. The burst you get in Shaman trumps most of the other melee classes, never mind an Inquisitor. You should really try to play Shaman or even Druid in some chain WFs, before you run to the forums trying to sound credible. I have still not seen you run melee in any WF, and I do many. I know Inquisitor is easy to play, and is much less dependent on healers, but If your WF has capable healers then I don't see any reason not to run Shaman. Like Harb we also have a stun, which gives you enough time to kill almost any soul in this game who doesn't immediately get heals. If you're being kited, then you use your dots>possible LoS>charge>snare. Its not hard, my frozen wrath alone gets me alot of kills.
    Last edited by Guyjax; 11-06-2013 at 05:09 PM.
    Retired Raider of <-Virus@Deepwood-> & <-Forsaken@Seastone->
    Guyhax@YoMommasHouse
    #1 Beer Pong Champion NA/EU

You forgot Bladedancer will still be bad lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    i was getting ready to put together a bd spec and then the ****ing servers went down
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    BD is actually pretty wild right now. It still is just as rough a spec to play as far as staying up at moments. But it is hitting pretty hard.

I am still sort of surprised Nb, Sin and BD all got buffs though. But if warriors are as good as I am hearing, then melee should be powerful in the right hands. I know Rogue melee is very strong atm. Those 3 souls are solid.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

I tried Bladedancer, it was horrid, then swapped to Nightblade, and was owning face. I do not know what it is, maybe its that no disconnect damage thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

I play a Druid in PVP a fair amount. I wouldn' t rate it as awful. I would say average is more accurate.

Full agreement though the PVP changes giving the Pet a buff were bizaare. Of all the pet classes, I think Druid gets the least out of their pet at least where DPS is concerned. It doesn't scale well at all, and its damage isn't very good. I am talking exclusively here with respect to the Seer and the healing pet, as I never use the Satyr due to its terrible AI and low health.

I had asked for the same 0.1 buff the other souls got and perhaps some snare to go with it for Fae step a/o Fae extraction, but they didn't do it.

Paragon went from decent to semi-decent. I think Warlord got a slight pvp boost. Other than that warrior is still SOL.

Ascendant

pretty sure deep freeze openers will be substantially crazy if you can catch a few people in the damage buff radius.

+ Reply to Thread