+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: PvP so I can PvE... wtc?!

Shadowlander

Default PvP so I can PvE... wtc?!

MMORPG for the most part is a PvE game. On Rift you can see this easily by the player base, only 1 server is PvP and rest are PvE. This is very common situation in other games in this genre. I feel like PvP evolved as a side project and is secondary to the PvE experience the game provides. Personally I don't like to PvP in this type of game; if I want to PvP I will go play a first person shooter as those types of games are geared directly for PvP action.

The issue I am having right now is the buffs players get for actively playing PvP on Rift. Many guilds are requiring max PvP so that players can have readiness I,II,III for the health buff (because it helps in raids). Now I must play PvP so I can PvE raid! This is terrible, I really dislike PvP and it is no fun at all. I understand how Trion wants to give people incentive to PvP, but i say all PvP things should be just for PvP. No PvP buffs for raids, I dont have the time to PvP nor do I want to be forced to do it by guild.

And pvp-ers are forced to put up with you self righteous, whiny pve-ers where anything other than killing a scripted encounter is too hard.

I think it's a fair tradeoff.
    Awesome game. #1 PvP.

the only pvp you need to do for the readiness buff is conquest.
    get a group together...enter conquest. if the minis have not yet spawned, have a pants off dance off party. if the minis have spawned, go fight it. OMG! pveing in pvp! spank your tank as your CQ power gradually fills. for added effect, RP some interesting and pointless boss mechanics for the minis, having your team run in, run out, go stand "over there" when its health gets to a certain percentage. keep an eye on your map, though. you need to watch out for surprise pvp adds wiping you in passing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahliablood View Post
    And pvp-ers are forced to put up with you self righteous, whiny pve-ers where anything other than killing a scripted encounter is too hard.

You obviously haven't raided in a progression group - its much harder than you think.
    The only way that someone from Cluster 2 is actually as bad as you all say is if they started playing this game in 2.3 (Free to Play launch).

Proud officer and Mage class lead of <Zombies>

Raiding is not easy, pvp on the other hand pertaining to RIFT, is quite simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragasm View Post
    You obviously haven't raided in a progression group - its much harder than you think.
    As far as I can tell, neither have you. Obviously.

But FYI, I used to have a lot more time on my hands when I was able to raid in many progression groups. The only thing that makes it hard is the people. Not the encounter where the same thing happens over and over and you know what is about to happen in each phase. Depending on people to do the right thing each and every time is the hard part.

It isn't like pvp, where the boss might suddenly go off on their own track and do whatever they want and lul you guys just have to deal with it.

I personally did not say one is harder than the other. I just said that anything other than what he does (pve) is hard to him.
    Awesome game. #1 PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruica View Post
    MMORPG for the most part is a PvE game. On Rift you can see this easily by the player base, only 1 server is PvP and rest are PvE. This is very common situation in other games in this genre. I feel like PvP evolved as a side project and is secondary to the PvE experience the game provides. Personally I don't like to PvP in this type of game; if I want to PvP I will go play a first person shooter as those types of games are geared directly for PvP action.

The issue I am having right now is the buffs players get for actively playing PvP on Rift. Many guilds are requiring max PvP so that players can have readiness I,II,III for the health buff (because it helps in raids). Now I must play PvP so I can PvE raid! This is terrible, I really dislike PvP and it is no fun at all. I understand how Trion wants to give people incentive to PvP, but i say all PvP things should be just for PvP. No PvP buffs for raids, I dont have the time to PvP nor do I want to be forced to do it by guild.
    And I despise I have to PVE and do the boring as hell daily's for BIS rep runes because Trion saw fit to never give us pvp ones. I also loathe having to pve for infinity stones for my crystals.
    Myrmidon Xillean Tormeng, Lord of War
    Dimensions: Planar Study Spec: 61/10/5
    PA: 900 | Score: 11120 | Tradeskills: All Grandmastered
    4/4 GP | 4/4 DH | 5/5 GSB | 5/5 RoS Conqueror | 11/11 HK | 2/4 RotP | 1/8 ID
    Characters: Xillean R90, Phantasmal R72, Eylisa R68, Kattie R74

As far as I can tell, neither have you. Obviously.

But FYI, I used to have a lot more time on my hands when I was able to raid in many progression groups. The only thing that makes it hard is the people. Not the encounter where the same thing happens over and over and you know what is about to happen in each phase. Depending on people to do the right thing each and every time is the hard part.

It isn't like pvp, where the boss might suddenly go off on their own track and do whatever they want and lul you guys just have to deal with it.

I personally did not say one is harder than the other. I just said that anything other than what he does (pve) is hard to him.
    I've seen the boss go off its track - its really funny when it does. It results in a wipe, but still funny.

I must've read what you said wrong, because most people who call PvE "just scripted content" is misinformed - and that's what I thought you wrote.
    The only way that someone from Cluster 2 is actually as bad as you all say is if they started playing this game in 2.3 (Free to Play launch).

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Xillean View Post
    And I despise I have to PVE and do the boring as hell daily's for BIS rep runes because Trion saw fit to never give us pvp ones. I also loathe having to pve for infinity stones for my crystals.
    The terms being used here are wrong, but also the comparisons are inaccurate.

Tagging conquest is not PvP: you can just upgrade an extractor. Seems like "PvE" to me.

And in general, when there is a PvP vs PvE comparison we are referring to actual PvP (players fighting players) and "actual" PvE (raids). Grinding reputation is certainly a pve element, but I don't think anyone actually goes around bragging about it.

Also, all other reputations in the game do not decay, so whether or not you enjoy grinding them, you never lose your place once you've earned it. Conquest decay certainly needs to go; it's as ridiculous as having your gear decay by not playing every day.
    Last edited by Ahov; 11-06-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Rift has always made it clear that PvE is Primary, PvP is secondary. I gather the reason why they added PvE objectives in PvP is because it will encourage PvE players to join PvP activities.

Covergirl Diamond
    <-Prophecy->
    Back in Action
    RIP Junlar the Great Cleric. I will cherish our friendship and bond for all eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahov View Post
    The terms being used here are wrong, but also the comparisons are inaccurate.

Tagging conquest is not PvP: you can just upgrade an extractor. Seems like "PvE" to me.

And in general, when there is a PvP vs PvE comparison we are referring to actual PvP (players fighting players) and "actual" PvE (raids). Grinding reputation is certainly a pve element, but I don't think anyone actually goes around bragging about it.

Also, all other reputations in the game do not decay, so whether or not you enjoy grinding them, you never lose your place once you've earned it. Conquest decay certainly needs to go; it's as ridiculous as having your gear decay by not playing every day.

It's not ridiculous. It's the Skinner Box. We are the rats.

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion333 View Post
    Rift has always made it clear that PvE is Primary, PvP is secondary. I gather the reason why they added PvE objectives in PvP is because it will encourage PvE players to join PvP activities.
    Just because you attack something that isn't a player, doesn't mean its PvE. The main purpose is to control the extractors, which is a PvP objective. Just because you need to burn it down doesn't mean Conquest is PvE, as much as some people hate to admit.

Shadowlander

Its funny to watch pvpers try to pvp a boss in a RAID lol. They run around and try to get behind , jumping and acting all crazy. Low dps and not standing in the right places, and they die and get kicked from the raid.

PvP in an MMORPG is really not hard at all and I will tell you why:
    1: you really cant miss when you attack because you have sticky targeting.
    2. targeting requires 0 skill, because you dont have to manually aim anything
    3. you can macro abilities to hit specific targets (again requires 0 skill)
    4. GCD ! you have to wait for abilites to come off cooldown, This requires 0 skill and you really dont have to be quick about anything since you have to wait 1 second for things to come off coodlown. Go play a FPS and try to shoot 1 time per second and see how long you last.

To suggest that PvE is easy/scripted is a huge understatement. Try to get a 20 man hard mode raid together and see how well you do in this so called "scripted encounter". If you are truly a hardcore PvPer then you wouldn't be playing RIft, you would be playing a first person shooter where skills such as speed and accuracy come into play. Why would you be so hardcore into PvP on Rift when the game does half your PvP for you.
    Last edited by Cruica; 11-07-2013 at 09:56 AM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Cruica View Post

Lets elaborate. Most guilds do not require max pvp. Most guilds ask you to get the 180k conquest experience. That's so easy it isn't funny and also isnt worth complaining about.
    Guild - Mutiny @ Greybriar
    Spannx (Rogue)
    Spannz (Cleric)
    Spannage (Mage)
    Outfitter 375 - Butcher 375 - Survival 375 - Fishing 375

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Span View Post
    Lets elaborate. Most guilds do not require max pvp. Most guilds ask you to get the 180k conquest experience. That's so easy it isn't funny and also isnt worth complaining about.
    Hmm I thought the Conquest abilities only work in conquest and PVP rifts??

I know I dont see the increased favor buff in Warfronts like I do in Conquest??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast