+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Slipmat

Thread: An honest newbie question here.

Soulwalker

Default An honest newbie question here.

First of all, I'd like to give a big "hello" to everyone here. As you can see, I just got registered to the forums which happens to be the exact time I started playing the game plus a day approximately. That being said, I am very excited with the game. Hopefully, being new and being excited doesn't turn out to be teh same thing like it happened to be with so many virtual endeavours I've had in the past. So, yeah... Hi!

Anyway. I wanted to ask you guys about a certain class-specific doubt that I have and hopefully a way to resolve it. I was wondering what "class" should I be playing. Or rather what combination of talent trees should I be getting into being new and willing to PvP at some point with my main character. I read about pretty much every single on of them, and yet I am quite uncertain. And the reason for this is very simple: I want something that is strong in fights. Something with which I won't be left behind because of my astonishing uselessness. Something, which played correctly, could have the potential to turn around the future outcome of a battle. And no, I am not asking for the best spec there is nor for the most annoying thing to deal with as an enemy player. I simply want to develop a character that would be fun, competitive and useful to have from my team's point of view.

That being said, I pretty much enjoy healing classes as well as ranged ones. For example, when I used to play World of Warcraft, I pretty much mained Paladin, Hunters and Druids.
    And more specifically, Holy, Marks and Resto. I literally loved having to protect my squishies or keeping up people alive as well as surviving when swarmed. Not to brag, but I was pretty decent at the game, achieving several titles of importance in the PvP community, so to call it, meaning that you shouldn't "protect" me by giving me easy specs and simple builds because I am new to the game. It may be hard at first, but I am willing to ahve fun learning the game.

So, ya, glad to be here aaaaaaaaaand hopefully I can get some amazing feedback.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by arkeneawful View Post
    First of all, I'd like to give a big "hello" to everyone here. As you can see, I just got registered to the forums which happens to be the exact time I started playing the game plus a day approximately. That being said, I am very excited with the game. Hopefully, being new and being excited doesn't turn out to be teh same thing like it happened to be with so many virtual endeavours I've had in the past. So, yeah... Hi!

Anyway. I wanted to ask you guys about a certain class-specific doubt that I have and hopefully a way to resolve it. I was wondering what "class" should I be playing. Or rather what combination of talent trees should I be getting into being new and willing to PvP at some point with my main character. I read about pretty much every single on of them, and yet I am quite uncertain. And the reason for this is very simple: I want something that is strong in fights. Something with which I won't be left behind because of my astonishing uselessness. Something, which played correctly, could have the potential to turn around the future outcome of a battle. And no, I am not asking for the best spec there is nor for the most annoying thing to deal with as an enemy player. I simply want to develop a character that would be fun, competitive and useful to have from my team's point of view.

That being said, I pretty much enjoy healing classes as well as ranged ones. For example, when I used to play World of Warcraft, I pretty much mained Paladin, Hunters and Druids.
    And more specifically, Holy, Marks and Resto. I literally loved having to protect my squishies or keeping up people alive as well as surviving when swarmed. Not to brag, but I was pretty decent at the game, achieving several titles of importance in the PvP community, so to call it, meaning that you shouldn't "protect" me by giving me easy specs and simple builds because I am new to the game. It may be hard at first, but I am willing to ahve fun learning the game.

So, ya, glad to be here aaaaaaaaaand hopefully I can get some amazing feedback.

Cheers!
    based on the classes you played in WoW, sounds like you'd be a good fit for cleric

cleric as a class is essentially a wow palladin, druid, priest all rolled into one

Welcome to Rift, going to agree with Redcruxs, sounds like Cleric would suit you just fine

Found a few old videos which show off each calling, bear in mind the four callings have had a lot of changes and even new souls added since these videos, except the first one

Overall Class View:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luSNmtF8-TA

Cleric:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvcElbaJ9OQ

Mage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys1W--ESkoE

Rogue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vy4d54AsGA

Warrior:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF8RbRnAv8Q

Meh, YouTube acting up and the Forum wouldn't let me edit the links, here's the links now

Cleric:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvcElbaJ9OQ

Mage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys1W--ESkoE

Rogue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vy4d54AsGA

Warrior:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF8RbRnAv8Q
    Last edited by Slipmat; 11-06-2013 at 09:25 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    based on the classes you played in WoW, sounds like you'd be a good fit for cleric

cleric as a class is essentially a wow palladin, druid, priest all rolled into one
    All righty then!

So, currently I got a cleric. I looked for some guides, but I barely understand the reasoning behind the choices. So, I got a two questions.

First of all, should I be spending my points on a specific tree with the intention to build it as a main one or could I for example spend an equal amount of points into all the trees? For instance, I picked Sentinel, Warden and Purifier. Should I go with something more like 61 15 0 or with something like 31 15 15? What's the general rule that I have to follow in order to obtain some sort of usefulness later on? Max out a single tree and add utility points on the rest? Or distribute them evenly between two or more?

Secondly, should I be using only Healing trees? Or should I build up something offensive for the sake of, I don't know, finishing up a low health opponent or building up pressure in duels/arena?

EDIT: Thanks, Slipmat, I'll check those out and give back a response ina minute. ^.^
    Last edited by arkeneawful; 11-06-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Don't forget you can have multiple Roles or Specs in the game, think of it like WoW's 'dual spec' except you can have up to 20 specs and be able to swap between them in seconds out of combat.

So for example, you can have a Dungeon healer role (spec), a group one, a tank specific one, a raid healing role...then for your questing and World stuff, can have a pure melee role, melee with pet, ranged caster spec, a Tank spec and so on.

The flexibility one char allows you to have is one of Rift's bigger assets

Ascendant

Generally speaking, most trees are designed to where you would want to heavily invest in one tree and use the remaining 15 points on passive buffs or a useful extra skill.

There are a few exceptions that will make use of a more balanced 40ish 30ish blend but they tend to be less common and I think at the moment mostly apply to mages.

10/25/41 or builds similar to that are prettymuch non-existent right now, but that's mostly because some core abilties are buried too deep in some trees, or the buffs trees provide are too specialized (healing or damage type dependent passives) to play nice with others

Plane Walker

All righty then!

So, currently I got a cleric. I looked for some guides, but I barely understand the reasoning behind the choices. So, I got a two questions.

First of all, should I be spending my points on a specific tree with the intention to build it as a main one or could I for example spend an equal amount of points into all the trees? For instance, I picked Sentinel, Warden and Purifier. Should I go with something more like 61 15 0 or with something like 31 15 15? What's the general rule that I have to follow in order to obtain some sort of usefulness later on? Max out a single tree and add utility points on the rest? Or distribute them evenly between two or more?

Secondly, should I be using only Healing trees? Or should I build up something offensive for the sake of, I don't know, finishing up a low health opponent or building up pressure in duels/arena?

EDIT: Thanks, Slipmat, I'll check those out and give back a response ina minute. ^.^
    The beauty of Rift is that you have "roles" I think you start out with 5? So you can do a healing role, tanking role, support or DPS. Each role allows you the same pool of points. So you could do a healing role with 61/15/0, and then do another with a mix like 33/33/10. It's having/playing the same class with multiple personalities.

In PvP you could have a few different roles depending on what your team needs, or what best suits your gameplay style.Only thing is, you have to be out of combat to change roles. Doesn't matter where you are, just out of combat.

Ascendant

All righty then!

Doesn't matter what you do until you hit level 60. Just experiment with various trees and learn the basic mechanics of the class until then.

But basically, if you want to be a healer, you will use: Defiler, Sentinel, Purifier. Warden is for AoE only and you should NOT use it in Warfronts.

If you want to melee, you will use: Shaman, Druid, Justicar (tank).

If you want to cast you will use inquisitor (Cabalist sucks, ignore it).

Quote Originally Posted by AceinHole View Post
    Doesn't matter what you do until you hit level 60. Just experiment with various trees and learn the basic mechanics of the class until then.

But basically, if you want to be a healer, you will use: Defiler, Sentinel, Purifier. Warden is for AoE only and you should NOT use it in Warfronts.

If you want to melee, you will use: Shaman, Druid, Justicar (tank).

If you want to cast you will use inquisitor (Cabalist sucks, ignore it).
    not exactly true ,especially if you intend on being part of the pvp community as you had stated. CONQUEST wich isnt too much different from AC in wow , uses Warden for heals and Cabalist for aoe damage / cc. Both very important in cq wich is your lvl 60 big game pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninetynineprobs View Post
    not exactly true ,especially if you intend on being part of the pvp community as you had stated. CONQUEST wich isnt too much different from AC in wow , uses Warden for heals and Cabalist for aoe damage / cc. Both very important in cq wich is your lvl 60 big game pvp.
    I love responses like this. He says Warden is an AoE spec and shouldn't be used in WFs, you counter that by saying it can be used in CQ. Mind blown. http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...ne-d5upvfp.gif

To OP, Mr.Thiuss' breakdown was pretty spot on from what I have seen/heard from other clerics, and from what your original post mentioned, I bet cleric will be a good fit for you. The great thing about rift is that you won't be pidgeonholed once you choose a spec. You have many options for different situations. I think you'll like it here.
    robbinthehoodz@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by robbinthehoodz View Post
    I love responses like this. He says Warden is an AoE spec and shouldn't be used in WFs, you counter that by saying it can be used in CQ. Mind blown. http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...ne-d5upvfp.gif

To OP, Mr.Thiuss' breakdown was pretty spot on from what I have seen/heard from other clerics, and from what your original post mentioned, I bet cleric will be a good fit for you. The great thing about rift is that you won't be pidgeonholed once you choose a spec. You have many options for different situations. I think you'll like it here.
    basically what he is saying is , yes warden and cab viable, in cq thank you for clarifying. means alterac valley not AC appologies

Quote Originally Posted by Ninetynineprobs View Post
    basically what he is saying is , yes warden and cab viable, in cq thank you for clarifying. means alterac valley not AC appologies
    ps , don't take cleric advice from rogues k'thxbai

Soulwalker

Well, following your guys' responses, here's what I've got so far.

Skill trees -> http://i.imgur.com/eFeiqT3.jpg
    Items -> http://i.imgur.com/Hs5TIIl.jpg

And so I got some things I'd like to dig around a bit.

First of all, what professions should I get? I read somewhere that they were completely useless unless you were in a PvE server. I mean it's not a surprise to me, but it would still be fun to hunt down some resources and sell some high-level items later on.

I've got Mining and Armorer so far. What else should I be getting?

Secondly, even though I know it's probably too early to be asking this, but are my talents okay? I took some steps into Purifier because I needed my points spent to queue up for a dungeo aaaaaaaand I should've probably taken "Call to Action" which I haven't.

What should I be focusing on in order to get a decent PvP build before being able to fill up every talent?

Lastly, how in hell do I keep up with leveling zones? I mean I've been mainly leveling through Rifts, Random adventures and Warfronts and I just keep being two or three levels ahead of the zone I'm currently having quests in. Maybe that actually is because of spending so much time on Rifts, WF and RA? Then again, if I could level up entirely by doing those three, do I even need to follow up the quest story? Is there any benefit? Items maybe? Costumes?

Cheers! ^.^

EDIT: Oh, and ya, is 1 hander + shield really worth it on a healer cleric? Or maybe I should get some sort of a hybrid thing going on? Something like Sentinel > Justicar > Purifier instead of Sentinel > Warden > Purifier?
    Last edited by arkeneawful; 11-08-2013 at 08:49 AM.

Anything but a warrior. And youll have a good time.

+ Reply to Thread