+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help setting up efficient keybinds

Shadowlander

Default Need help setting up efficient keybinds

'ey guys.

I've been 60 for about a month now, and am trying out the realm of PvP. Aside from the fact that my faction tends to lose quite a bit more often, the first thing I noticed was that my keybinds, which have served me well in PvE for years in various games don't work very well in PvP. I've often descirbed my key bind style as my left hand being a 400lb woman, and the WASD keys as her couch. Naturally, she does not want to move far from her couch, so all my binds are clustered around those keys; in particular, my first hotbar is Q E R F C V 1 2 3 4 m5 m4, while my second hotbar is all those keys shifted, and shift-wasd in place of 1 2 3 4.

I'd be curious to know what those of you who are sucessful in PvP use for your binds, and whether they translate to PvE. My main issue with my binds is the lack of non shift keys, as a long standing bug causes you to stop moving while holding down shift, unless you are using the mouse to move. If you think my keybinds are fine, do you have any techniques I could use or layout of spells to improve my skills?

Or for that matter, if any of you know of a good TEXT BASED guide for my particular spec (I'm a 61 Defiler in PvP, and have only been able to find Youtube guides, which are ineffective for me to learn from), that would be awesome.

Thanks, and sorry for the wall of text.

If you want to open up a few more keys try moving your left hand slightly to the right and make EDSF your new WSAD. Also you should never back peddle in PVP so unbinding your S key and making it into a skill bound key would give you access to one more. I also have a $100 logitec mouse which has your typical 3 buttons, scroll wheel and then 9 thumb buttons. All of which can then be set up with alt various. I really only alt bind a few keys. My typical key bindings are the 9 mouse thumb buttons which are really your num pad keys, 1-5, `, F1-F4, QERT, FG, ZXCVB, Alt 1-4 Alt F1-F4 and Alt `. If you haven't changed your A and D keys to be strafe instead of turn you should do so, you should never be turning in PvP as it allows you to kite and still cast instant casts at your pursuer as you strafe (basically you look like your running forward but have a very slight angle which still allows you to cast behind yourself).

Again I have never moved to the EDSF keys but its clear if you did so the number of additional keys you open up. I have obviously rebound a lot of keys I used for key bindings like chat replay is U for me. If you want to PM me with any questions feel free, but with the key bindings I have and several macros I have enough bindings to bind everything I need and still have certain abilities included in my macros and then also stand alone.

Also there are some much more expensive mouses you can get like a razor naga if you want to spend the cash that will give you a lot more bindings on your mouse.
    Marrow of Seastone (Cleric-Main)
    Kelebra of Seastone (Mage-Alt)
    Remorse of Seastone (Warrior-Alt)
    Nine of Seastone (Rogue-Alt)

Rift Chaser

You have to use the binds that are most comfortable to you, forcing yourself to play other peoples set ups will only lead to failure.

Quote Originally Posted by The B Man View Post
    You have to use the binds that are most comfortable to you, forcing yourself to play other peoples set ups will only lead to failure.
    This right here cannot be more true. When I first moved from clicking and key board turning to key binding and using my mouse I asked everyone in the world what they did. Everyone had very different setups and I tried things over and over and over and eventually found a setup that worked well for me. I don't shift, or ctrl bind anything because it just doesn't work for me.
    Marrow of Seastone (Cleric-Main)
    Kelebra of Seastone (Mage-Alt)
    Remorse of Seastone (Warrior-Alt)
    Nine of Seastone (Rogue-Alt)

Your binds don't sound too bad to begin with, use your "S" key as an ability, strafe & mouse turn, never walk backwards. Do not bind past numbers 1-5, don't forget to use SHIFT (Q, E, D, A, S, F, C) keys as an addition to your layout. Get a 5 button mouse. And do not invest in non traditional keyboards, they're for non coordinated folks. Only use SHIFT (1-4) for your class buffs, they're harder to reach than the lettered shift keys. Try different things until something feels comfortable and intuitive. Just remember, never, ever remove your hands from the mouse or WASD placement once your binds are setup. If you have to do that, you're doing it wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

I can't iterate how bad of an idea it is to flat out unbind the back-peddle key. All I can say is, there are different movement speeds. You can move as fast as someone walking forward, as fast as 'walk' turned on, as fast as a mount, and as fast as backwards. Each type of movement is a different speed. Removing the potential for me to move at any of those variable speeds would just stunt my overall movement capability. There are tons of small moments where to progress an area much more smoothly and creep more precisely, I make quick useage of the acute speed you get from back-peddling movement. Also, if you play any roles that make use of frontal cone aoes, don't be a newb with no back-peddle and miss all your targets because you wanted to move backwards a few inches. But I am very very picky when it comes to movement, if something provides movement in a unique way I can't employ anyway else, I have to keep it around. And you won't get that exact back-peddle speed from any other source of moving your toon.

Otherwise, binds are all about comfort, it doesn't matter what you hit. I've seen so many people in a single game before, display a high level of skill, with such varied sets of keybinding layouts.

With that being said, I just use what is near, I don't bother with shift+ or ctrl+ binds because sometimes I don't even fill up what I have.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, r, t, g, f, b, c, x, 2x side mouse buttons. Could always add middle click, and could probably afford to drop A and D as positional keys if I wanted to. Don't think I actually hit those much.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

I keyboard turn, backpedal and I am a clicker.........no idea
    Elimination aka Gramps, formerly of MMAC, Squabs Squad, Mobile Death Squad,FoTM,Temporal Insurgence, Beep Beep Imma Jeep and Philanthropy

Invest in the Naga or Logitech equivalent, put a 5th digit and thumb on control and alt respectively, and your three mid digits on your movement keys and start having fun. If you need more than 36+side button functions at your fingertips, throw the shift key into the mix for 48+.

For skills I use Q, E, R, F, C, S (Because don't backpeddle, ever), the Shift variant of those, and if needed the Ctrl variant of them as well.

With the base + shift variants I usually have about all the keybinds I need, although I also try to be as clever as I can with macros to save keybinds without putting me at a disadvantage because of needlessly macrod skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho
    Also nerf bards.

A tip I learned playing my DK in wow is to keybind your pull to "s". That way every time you try to backpedal you'll pull your target to you. In all my PVp specs I'm at least 0 wl and keep the pull as my s. It works well for me.
    Also a pro tip is you can macro the wl pull and snare on the same key so you pull/ slow your target at the same time. Their both on 8second cool downs.

Um...I use 1234567890-= and the F1 keys. I'm such a baddie
    Awesome game. #1 PvP.

Default Use the force!

Need help setting up efficient keybinds-image.jpg

A more civilized weapon from a more civilized time.

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/det...=1218291963577
    Landslide - Greybriar. ( Vendetta )
    (\_xxLand_/)
    RIP RatedX. >.<!

This works great for me. WAD for movement ( A and D changed to strafe not turning) I have very large hands so I have no problem hitting 1-7 and still moving. Also have Q,E,R,F,C,X,Z,S and shift the same letters except shift F, I have that as focus target and have rarely used stuff like aoes on 8,9,0. Now about the S key personally I have it as one of my most used ability's I don't use aoes and if I do I'm on an extractor and most likely eating coco puffs and clicking stuff anyways.

Oh and as of right now I'm using a regular layout mechanical IBM keybord from 1988 and a 2 button mouse. I haven't bothered getting anything special as far as input devices. The feel from this old skewl bord is so tight and responsive its great. It's just SO loud..
    Last edited by bleachx; 10-30-2013 at 07:45 PM.

movement should be ESDF, not WASD imo gives you a little more keybinds in the vicinity and can still easily hit modifiers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast