+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Builds for CQ are in a boring fotm rut. A suggestion!

Default Builds for CQ are in a boring fotm rut. A suggestion!

Some souls just can't be reliably used in builds intended for playing Conquest. We're pretty much stuck with the same cookie cutter builds with only minor variations or they just won't work. I have an idea.

Souls that get procs based on a pet being alive is a good example. In warfronts a pet being killed is a good way to play, it gimps the pet owner. But in CQ the gimping would be immediate and that's why no one uses builds that require a pet existing - they get focused in an instant and are dead and then the pet owner is gimped. Pets aren't practical in CQ. They can be used, but not in a practical manner. Is that the real intent of the soul dev designers? So I have a suggestion that would throw a wrench into only using fotm builds in CQ. Make pets invincible, or nearly so, but only in CQ and instead require the pet owner be killed in order to neutralize the pet contributions to a build. How about throwing some variety into the current limitation of builds that can be used in a practical manner in CQ?
    Specter
    R87 Mage - Wolfsbane, Guardian

we'd see souls like necro, that can summon a veritable horde of pets, getting stacked again.
    zerg on zerg fights would become even sillier, and each zerg sends off their swarm of indestructible pets and then runs back out of range.

FotM builds aren't so great in CQ anyway. assassins are great for small group ganking, but are wasted baggage in a zerg fight. MMs are useful, but tacs, sabs, and bards are more so. a 61RB or tempest is just a bloodthirsty proc waiting to happen for any warrior running reaver or warlord. VK has always been a desirable soul for CQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

If u have a build u love That u want to use...use it ib warfronts. I have both a cw tanking spec and a warfront tanking spec
    learn to adapt my sob
    How much do you HATE BISHOPX?
    Warrior video (july)
    Newest shaman PvP video
    Enjoy the GREATEST HITS

Plane Touched

Small groups need to be able to accomplish things. Perhaps knitting friendship bracelets that explode for conquest tokens.

Quote Originally Posted by k9quaint View Post
    Small groups need to be able to accomplish things. Perhaps knitting friendship bracelets that explode for conquest tokens.
    They recently nerfed the one ability (CE) that was taking entire raid groups out! It was funny to watch, but not to be victim of.

Well, I didn't really think I'd see outright acceptance of my topic opening post. Just looking for thoughts and comments about how pet abilities could, with some help from devs someday, be used in CQ. They're ok in warfronts (not so many players in a warfront) but they're certainly not practical right now in CQ, pets die there way to fast to focus fire - just about instantly. CQ is really necessary for progression and obviously intended to be so. So how might pets manage to live long enough to allow the souls they belong to to function in a practical manner? Every class has a pet soul that requires the pet to be alive for the soul to function as designed. I guess it would be game breaking for pets to be near invincible even if only while in CQ, but might it be practical for their viability to somehow be increased to make the usage of pets in CQ actually practical? Something to encourage variability of souls used, to break up the usage and need to use just a few certain builds for each class in CQ. More player inventiveness for builds. No good ways possible? Are we doomed to CQ builds monotony with each class?
    Last edited by Taptap; 10-28-2013 at 12:37 AM.
    Specter

Hmm. What if they made a special PvP Pet that could only be used in CQ? One the devs could then tweak around for each soul that needs a pet to function properly. What unique abilities and traits should those special pets have for each of the souls in each class that are supposed to use pets? Like, what if those pets can't cause damage or be killed but they do allow the procs the soul requires to function at full potential?
    Last edited by Taptap; 10-28-2013 at 12:50 AM.
    Specter

aoe hitting a limited amount of targets needs to go. if you stand in aoe you should get hit. in daoc if you were dumb enough to stand in pbae, you died, and so did 40 of your friends who were just as stupid. blowing my spike or annihilation bomb load and only hitting 8 people when 30 of you morons are stacked on top of each other in cq is really annoying.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Quote Originally Posted by ecru View Post
    aoe hitting a limited amount of targets needs to go. if you stand in aoe you should get hit. in daoc if you were dumb enough to stand in pbae, you died, and so did 40 of your friends who were just as stupid. blowing my spike or annihilation bomb load and only hitting 8 people when 30 of you morons are stacked on top of each other in cq is really annoying.
    Can my healing hit everyone close by too? I mean why should my "Insert warden ability" only heal 10 people. If im in the middle of 40 people theres no reason my "insert warden ability" shouldnt hit all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengri View Post
    Can my healing hit everyone close by too? I mean why should my "Insert warden ability" only heal 10 people. If im in the middle of 40 people theres no reason my "insert warden ability" shouldnt hit all of them.
    i don't think there should be any easy, direct counters to stupidity, which in this case would be "paying attention", and "moving the **** out of the way"

rift has this way of taking mechanics that worked perfectly in every other mmo, changing them, and then somehow convincing their own playerbase that they were right all along.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Quote Originally Posted by Tengri View Post
    We all know that Ecru's changes wouldn't even harm you that much, because the shield you always use would help you mitigate any new damage you might have taken.
    Stir@Greybriar
    Stirr@Greybriar
    Stirrr@Greybriar
    Stirrrr@Greybriar
    You have sent too many chat messages.

i don't think there should be any easy, direct counters to stupidity, which in this case would be "paying attention", and "moving the **** out of the way"

rift has this way of taking mechanics that worked perfectly in every other mmo, changing them, and then somehow convincing their own playerbase that they were right all along.
    So if it wont apply to my Warden Q_Q can it apply to my Cabalist? Id love to see Tyranny pop on 30 people.

Ascendant

WAR set a target limit to aoe for a reason, and the open world battles in that game weren't meant to be a sidecar like they are in rift.

Then again, with collision in place, you kinda had a hard limit to how many people you could hit anyways(probably no more than 10-15)

Quote Originally Posted by Caldern View Post
    WAR set a target limit to aoe for a reason
    i didn't play WAR, so I don't know what that was like or how powerful aoe was, but in daoc pbaoe hitting an unlimited amount of targets worked fine. aoe in rift does not account for so much dps that you will die after a few seconds of standing in it either, unless you're being hit by stacked aoe from multiple characters. the fact that the more clumped players are, the less effective one player's aoe is (due to it's erratic and unpredictable target selection), seems a little backwards to me.
    Last edited by ecru; 10-28-2013 at 06:58 AM.
    starplatinum@greybriar
    bluebarbie@greybriar
    twitch
    youtubes

Ascendant

i didn't play WAR, so I don't know what that was like or how powerful aoe was, but in daoc pbaoe hitting an unlimited amount of targets worked fine. aoe in rift does not account for so much dps that you will die after a few seconds of standing in it either, unless you're being hit by stacked aoe from multiple characters. the fact that the more clumped players are, the less effective one player's aoe is (due to it's erratic and unpredictable target selection), seems a little backwards to me.
    I find the target limit in rift necessary, aoe souls and ST souls have different target limits which differentiates them from each other. Some aoe souls even hit slightly more targets than other ones. Plus I'm pretty sure the force multiplying aoes like soul drain, tyranny, etc would be way too stupid with a target limit removed. Pve rarely has 40 targets to chain off of, but CQ...

It's hardly fair to punish people for standing in AE when half of them are rocking like 2 FPS with minimum graphics and spelleffects turned off completely. CQ is already too often decided by who was willing/able to blow a couple grand on a new computer.
    I'm So Meta Even This Acronym

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast