• 1 Post By Baramos
  • 2 Post By Misun
  • 1 Post By Pixel Monkey
  • 1 Post By Baramos

Thread: What Rift Should Copy (for PvP)

Ascendant

Default What Rift Should Copy (for PvP)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztb89VlAg2s

A preview of Wildstar's PvP features (by some random guys, not developers). I am hesitant on making predictions about new MMO's (after I got burned by SWTOR), but judging from this video, they are setting up PvP perfectly. Trion should take notes and just copy everything.

Cliff notes:

1) Will have 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 arenas

2) You can join a separate team for each. So you can have a 2v2 team, and a separate 3v3 and 5v5 team.

3) Will have an ELO ranking system (ELO is what is used by chess players for ratings).

4) Players will be matched based on skill and not gear (very important). The ELO system will be what is primarily used for matching teams. Gear will be pretty much irrelevant in arenas (in other words, no major gear grind).

5) Will also have PUG "battlegrounds" that are not rated, so you can do those at your leisure if looking for something casual. So far "capture the flag" is all that has been announced. Judging from the description it is just like Whitefall Steppes (capture a neutral flag in the middle, then return it to base. Once you do that another one spawns). Most assuredly, it will have more than just this one BG.

6) For large scale PvP, there will be "warplots." Here you buy a plot of land, then build your own forts and castles. You can also get a raid boss and bring him to your base so you can unleash him on the enemy. Right now, in order to fight in Warplots, you must queue. It would be cool if it were open-world 24/7, but I think they believe it wouldn't be fair since people in certain guilds can't be online 24/7.

7) Every CC ability will have a counter. There will be no "break free" on a CD. Instead you must use a specific ability to break out of a certain CC. You also will have armor that makes you immune from CC for a certain period of time.
    Last edited by AceinHole; 06-24-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AceinHole View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztb89VlAg2s

A preview of Wildstar's PvP features (by some random guys, not developers). I am hesitant on making predictions about new MMO's (after I got burned by SWTOR), but judging from this video, they are setting up PvP perfectly. Trion should take notes and just copy everything.

Cliff notes:

1) Will have 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 arenas

2) You can join a separate team for each. So you can have a 2v2 team, and a separate 3v3 and 5v5 team.

3) Will have an ELO ranking system (ELO is what is used by chess players for ratings).

4) Players will be matched based on skill and not gear (very important). The ELO system will be what is primarily used for matching teams. Gear will be pretty much irrelevant in arenas (in other words, no major gear grind).

5) Will also have PUG "battlegrounds" that are not rated, so you can do those at your leisure if looking for something casual. So far "capture the flag" is all that has been announced. Judging from the description it is just like Whitefall Steppes (capture a neutral flag in the middle, then return it to base. Once you do that another one spawns). Most assuredly, it will have more than just this one BG.

6) For large scale PvP, there will be "warplots." Here you buy a plot of land, then build your own forts and castles. You can also get a raid boss and bring him to your base so you can unleash him on the enemy. Right now, in order to fight in Warplots, you must queue. It would be cool if it were open-world 24/7, but I think they believe it wouldn't be fair since people in certain guilds can't be online 24/7.

7) Every CC ability will have a counter. There will be no "break free" on a CD. Instead you must use a specific ability to break out of a certain CC. You also will have armor that makes you immune from CC for a certain period of time.
    A bunch of instanced pvp that has no bearing on the world around you.

Pass.
    MMO VAULT (Video Game Music) ➜ https://www.youtube.com/c/VideoGameMusicSoundtrack

It looks like toy story
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Baramos View Post

Pass.
    I am sure there will be open-world PvP, but I have no idea about the details. IMO, they should not make the warplots instanced, but I do understand why they did it.

And Misun, it's true that Wildstar's graphical prowess won't be that of Rift. However, I would rather play something closer to Toy Story than play something closer to BF3 if I can get more than FIVE FPS during fights. This is actually my biggest complaint with Rift -- it takes a freaking supercomputer to get anywhere near 30 FPS.

I am sure there will be open-world PvP,
    Doesn't really matter if there are all of those other forms of pvp dividing the player base.
    MMO VAULT (Video Game Music) ➜ https://www.youtube.com/c/VideoGameMusicSoundtrack

Ascendant

Doesn't really matter if there are all of those other forms of pvp dividing the player base.
    I don't know about dividing. I personally don't care for a game where there is only one type of PvP to do. If Rift only had CQ, for instance, I would have been gone a long time ago.

I don't know about dividing. I personally don't care for a game where there is only one type of PvP to do. If Rift only had CQ, for instance, I would have been gone a long time ago.
    If the game had one type of pvp but it was done right, maybe you would change your mind.

if I can get more than FIVE FPS during fights. This is actually my biggest complaint with Rift -- it takes a freaking supercomputer to get anywhere near 30 FPS.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/technical...ough-rift.html
    It's better to be judged by twelve,
    than be carried by six...
    "X" thinks, I AM that "X".
    I THINK. Therefore, I Am.

Well for me, I need to have a pretty toon.
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

Pass.
    i just dont see the hype in Open world PVP. its zerg vs zerg in almost every instance. maybe it was done differently in other games idk i never played another mmo but open world pvp in rift is pretty boring even when it was popular.

only time i ever had fun was 1 v 1 or 2 v 1 open world questing.

i cant get by the graphics in this game though. love the concepts but i couldnt take a game serious that looks like that
    Last edited by dday; 06-24-2013 at 02:53 PM.

swtor and d3 say hello

one day maybe kids will learn not to over inflate things out of context and stop looking like complete arses in the aftermath
    who took my names!

Quote Originally Posted by dday View Post
    i just dont see the hype in Open world PVP. its zerg vs zerg in almost every instance. maybe it was done differently in other games idk i never played another mmo but open world pvp in rift is pretty boring even when it was popular.

only time i ever had fun was 1 v 1 or 2 v 1 open world questing.

i cant get by the graphics in this game though. love the concepts but i couldnt take a game serious that looks like that
    There is a difference between other games that have gotten it right with open world pvp and Rift which hasn't. Like you said though, you don't have experience in other mmos so it is hard to envision.

there's nothing for rift to copy, rated matches 2v2, 3v3, 5v5, ELO, etc. needs to be in the design from the ground up unless you are WoW and have millions of dollars and a huge dev team and even they regretted adding arena.

GW2 is a good example, structured pvp was built around 5v5 and after almost a year finally have a leaderboard with semi-working match making and still trying to find meta balance.

i dont know why you and others keep pushing this kinda stuff rift does not have the population to support anything like this nor does trion have the dev team to create it and maintain balance. People who want competitive matches are playing games that offer it, nobody is going to come to an old game with poor optimization for arena. rift is a casual gear-based pvp game, always has been always will be.

my question is why arent you playing GW1, GW2 or WoW if you want ranked 5v5 so bad?
    Last edited by SprawlnBrawl; 06-24-2013 at 04:42 PM.

There is a difference between other games that have gotten it right with open world pvp and Rift which hasn't. Like you said though, you don't have experience in other mmos so it is hard to envision.
    daoc is about the only game to get open world pvp right

Quote Originally Posted by SprawlnBrawl View Post
    daoc is about the only game to get open world pvp right
    Beta for CU next year zzz. I loved open world in UO as well, fun times. Noninstanced housing in the open world that you can fight around = win.

+ Reply to Thread