+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree294Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Going into the office for a while on my day off soon... which would you rather have

Quote Originally Posted by shortycool View Post
    You do know who "this" developer is right? And give him a break he's come in on his day off to do something for the PvP community.
    I don't back down from anyone. He knows who I am, so what. I also knew he is working on his day off, however if you truly love your profession in life. You don't give a **** what day it is. He built the WF's, so he is the perfect person to ask a legitimate question about siege castles in Rift.

2.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #182
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Beringer View Post
    As a producer (well, you are) and in charge of the gamedev team, you should NOT be adding or altering game content on a whim like this. There needs to be a system of checks and balances in game development.

I am worried that you are making the other developers on the RIFT team frustrated.
    Due to the fact that I built every Warfront aside from Alt Mode Codex and Alt Mode Black Garden (and not the seasonal one either), I'm pretty sure I'm qualified to add these as I see fit and that no one on my team is going to get upset with me for doing so.

~Daglar

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #183
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendross View Post
    Anyways I don't think he's stepping on anyone's toes here. Maybe the achievements team will hate him for a few weeks though.
    I have to build all of those myself too.

~Daglar

As much as I like a passionate game developer who interacts with the gaming community, I feel I need to throw in a _serious_ word of caution here:

As a producer (well, you are) and in charge of the gamedev team, you should NOT be adding or altering game content on a whim like this. There needs to be a system of checks and balances in game development.

I am worried that you are making the other developers on the RIFT team frustrated.

In addition, serious game content like a new warfront should NOT be thrown together on a spare Sunday. It deserves a lot more thought, planning, discussions and iteration than this.

Please restrain yourself.

First post in the PvP forums?

I'm sure Daglar is capable of doing his job.

you know being the lead dev and all.
    Last edited by Keota; 06-16-2013 at 05:57 PM.
    Zoartype@Deepwood

Plane Touched

E. None of the above.

I'd rather you find some way of fixing this lag on deepwood. The event Swarn of the Century is so lagged. 15 secs before any ability goes off.

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

As much as I like a passionate game developer who interacts with the gaming community, I feel I need to throw in a _serious_ word of caution here:

My understanding of Rift's history is that, up to a point, they encourage devs to do stuff they feel passionately about if they are pretty sure it won't seriously break things. "Might fail utterly" is okay, as long as you can turn it off/revert it and have the game back to normal. So, actually, as long as the risk of severe game balance problems or exploits with long-lasting impact is low, I think the team's usual practice is, sure, go ahead and add stuff on a whim on your own time.

Furthermore, I believe Daglar is the guy with the most PvP development work, so he's probably the person he'd go ask about this.

The other thing to consider is: I have known a fair number of game developers. And I would be totally unsurprised to find that these ideas, and others, have been knocking about in his head for days, weeks, or months, and have already been discussed with other people at some point.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by shortycool View Post
    im sure daglar is the guy that develops the WF's anyway. He's not creating a new WF he's changing the rule sets to them.
    The problem is not that a dev makes content on his spare time. The problem is that Daglar is now also the one who makes all decisions. Normally, his work would be vetted by his lead and planned and discussed within the team. Not anymore.

This particular case may not actually be a problem, but as a veteran in the game industry I have seen serious company problems arise from similar things before. I'm worried about Daglar's leadership style.

I'm an altoholic: Thirteen 60 clerics, eleven 60 rogues, eleven 60 warriors, five 60 mages, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtaposed View Post
    E. None of the above.

I'd rather you find some way of fixing this lag on deepwood. The event Swarn of the Century is so lagged. 15 secs before any ability goes off.
    You must have missed the in game update telling everyone they were working on the lag.

its okay we forgive you!
    Zoartype@Deepwood

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Plexs View Post
    I don't back down from anyone. He knows who I am, so what. I also knew he is working on his day off, however if you truly love your profession in life. You don't give a **** what day it is.
    Not really true. I love programming, but part of loving it is learning that if I want to do my best work, I have to remember to have some downtime now and then.

He built the WF's, so he is the perfect person to ask a legitimate question about siege castles in Rift.
    That is totally true, but I haven't seen a legitimate question about siege castles. I've seen someone attack him for spending 30 seconds goofing off on the forums during a several-hour project he undertook in his free time in order to help people out. And the thing is, the project he's working on here is clearly very carefully considered to be small enough and isolated enough in its impact that it actually gets done. Because an alt-mode warfront now is a heck of a lot more useful to the PvP community than a siege castle feature which might show up in a year or might not and we aren't even sure whether people really want it.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the real answer is "siege castles can't be usefully implemented until we've restructured the game fundamentally in a way that addresses the flaws of our two-faction PvP server rules".
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

The problem is not that a dev makes content on his spare time. The problem is that Daglar is now also the one who makes all decisions. Normally, his work would be vetted by his lead and planned and discussed within the team. Not anymore.

This particular case may not actually be a problem, but as a veteran in the game industry I have seen serious company problems arise from similar things before. I'm worried about Daglar's leadership style.
    There is always one of "those guys" ^^^
    Zoartype@Deepwood

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    Zero intention.

~Daglar
    Huttball was one of the my most enjoyed parts of TOR!

Pick one of the available options.

A. Black Garden 10 vs 10 - Control 2 Points for 45 seconds to capture and score.
    B. Black Garden 10 vs 10 - Domination 2 control points. (Codex Ruleset)
    C. Codex - Martyrdom Edition (Black Garden/Library Ruleset)
    D. Karthan Ridge - Domination Edition (Codex Ruleset)
    E. None of the above.

~Daglar
    Only problem i have is my alt was rank 5 lol and i Quee on WF i got on Karthan Ridge and i see most players in my group was Rank 80 LOL both defiant and guardian.. why i know they rank 80 because i've been playing this guys in my Rank 80 cleric.. And its really annoying my rogue cant even get out on top of the base i got die easily and i cant even play and enjoy my pvp in my alt. Can you fix the Q rank in the WF. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Plexs View Post
    I don't back down from anyone. He knows who I am, so what. I also knew he is working on his day off, however if you truly love your profession in life. You don't give a **** what day it is. He built the WF's, so he is the perfect person to ask a legitimate question about siege castles in Rift.
    You took a snipe at him for making a joke. Then you said he's not the right dev to ask about sieges. Now you're saying he's the right guy to ask a legit question about sieges. Contradict yourself much?

Pretty stoked to see some new modes on the maps.

My only inquiry at this point is whether or not they'll count toward Guns for Hire if they happen to pop on a Random queue. Unless that already came up while I was away. Then oops, sorry. >_>
    Last edited by Gamma Ray; 06-16-2013 at 06:08 PM.
    "You with your fancy cooldowns and "runic" power! You know where my power comes from!? THE BACK OF MY HAND, #&!$%!"

I have to build all of those myself too.

~Daglar
    On the plus side.... at least you are working with maps that are currently in game and just changing spawn nodes and what not. Saves a lil more time than having to remodel terrain and what not. Though both are just as time consuming as the other, sadly :-/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast