+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: A note for the devs

Ascendant

Pretty much the simplest thing to make an enormous difference for PvP is this: RE-ENABLE OPEN WORLD PVP DAILYS!

I don't really have much of an idea of the effort required, but I am willing to bet that it could be done in two days tops. It would be the biggest PvP content release since 1.8-1.9.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by azabar View Post
    isnt he like their lead developer or something? im pretty sure if he pushed for something he would be "allowed" to develop it.
    If you've ever been in a position of responsibility, you know that it's not that simple.

Particularly when there's a long list of things you'd like to do, and a much shorter list of things you can accomplish with your resources.

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I've seen what happens when the devs talk about a thing they might not get to, and I've seen what happens when they say "we don't have anything we're ready to talk about". He could have an entire patch's worth of really interesting new PvP stuff that might make it in 2.4 and he'd still be making the right call.

Thing is... Every patch, I see people saying this. PvPers, raiders, RPers, addon writers, everyone always seems to feel their favorite content isn't getting the attention it deserves.

Pretty sure Trion has devs who care about PvP, and who are going to produce at least some stuff for PvPers within the next patch or so. Maybe some of that stuff won't appeal to you. Maybe some of it will.

But 2.3 is, I would say, probably the biggest PvP patch ever in one core respect:

The primary content of PvP is other players. 2.3 is probably going to deliver a lot of those. And even if you're used to the existing warfronts and such, they're not yet.

Buy a character slot, roll an alt, and start doing PvP as early and often as you can, so you can teach the newcomers the mechanics, encourage them to be good sports, and otherwise build a PvP community that's larger and more active, and you'll probably find it rewarding.
    sorry man I disagree. new players doesn't equal good content. you could throw 22 guys on a football field wouldn't be much of a game without any pads lines or a ball. rift has plenty of players what we don't have is anything to do

Quote Originally Posted by samvimes View Post
    If you've ever been in a position of responsibility, you know that it's not that simple.

Particularly when there's a long list of things you'd like to do, and a much shorter list of things you can accomplish with your resources.
    does pocket healing count as a position of responsibility?

i think its very simple... you work for a company... you have an idea... you present it to whoever makes the decisions.. they either say ok or buzz off. i get it, they wont make any money off pvp content now. its too late for them to do it even if they wanted to. retaining subs isnt a priority, the new store is. i dont know how many threads or posts ive seen over the last 2 yrs from players begging for something new, some glimmer of hope that trion cared about pvp and pvpers in general. look at all the pve content! could you imagine if we even had a quarter of that for pvp?? im just happy i dont have to pay to play this game anymore.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I've seen what happens when the devs talk about a thing they might not get to, and I've seen what happens when they say "we don't have anything we're ready to talk about". He could have an entire patch's worth of really interesting new PvP stuff that might make it in 2.4 and he'd still be making the right call.

Thing is... Every patch, I see people saying this. PvPers, raiders, RPers, addon writers, everyone always seems to feel their favorite content isn't getting the attention it deserves.

Pretty sure Trion has devs who care about PvP, and who are going to produce at least some stuff for PvPers within the next patch or so. Maybe some of that stuff won't appeal to you. Maybe some of it will.

But 2.3 is, I would say, probably the biggest PvP patch ever in one core respect:

The primary content of PvP is other players. 2.3 is probably going to deliver a lot of those. And even if you're used to the existing warfronts and such, they're not yet.

Buy a character slot, roll an alt, and start doing PvP as early and often as you can, so you can teach the newcomers the mechanics, encourage them to be good sports, and otherwise build a PvP community that's larger and more active, and you'll probably find it rewarding.
    did you write this post 2 years ago? ^^

6.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #36
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by Tookmyjob View Post
    Pretty much the simplest thing to make an enormous difference for PvP is this: RE-ENABLE OPEN WORLD PVP DAILYS!

I don't really have much of an idea of the effort required, but I am willing to bet that it could be done in two days tops. It would be the biggest PvP content release since 1.8-1.9.
    So yea, this would take roughly a week to two weeks to author and make function, then testing time, and reward time on top of that. It isn't an unreasonable request - just not something that can get worked on today.

Now the downside - PvP is more balanced with bolstering in mind - which is only available in Warfronts. World PvP is a really problematic issue - there is no balance, it is the wild west.

While on the surface world PvP appeals to a lot of people, typically it dies off -- we've seen that die off over time -- long before we introduced cross server functionality which some called the deathknell of RIFT's PvP servers. Ganking and guild fights are fun for a while, and then once one side gets dominant, everyone picks up and leaves. I've been part of alliances in games that have literally killed entire servers and made lots of people in those games unsub.

To be really blunt, we just don't have a good ruleset for open world PvP in RIFT - it is not our strength. Without making an entirely different game, I think we'd have a real hard time making a good ruleset for PvP within the confines of what is RIFT (and doesn't add specific requirements/values for people not on PvP servers to move there). You can't have instances, you can't have safe areas - you need a big wild west sandbox to play in -- and even then it really depends on the balance of power being hyper-dynamic to keep the community engaged instead of quitting.

I hope to never again make an MMO with a two faction system

That's not to say we won't try to improve things - but it's going to be a real challenge folks.

~Daglar

rift pvp is delicious, too bad so few people are interested in it, and no, conquest will not drag more people into pvp, on the contrary; I'll be around and see if f2p will bring more action in this department

Ascendant

The thing is, the Dev's have been saying they have PvP content changes on the backburner since the release of Storm Legion. At what point should people accept that no content will arrive?

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    you need a big wild west sandbox to play in

~Daglar
    Been saying this for years

Ascendant

So
    That's not to say we won't try to improve things - but it's going to be a real challenge folks.

~Daglar
    i think we can all agree that open world pvp in a game that isnt designed around it from the beginning, is really really difficult to implement. I really like the way you tried it with conquest though. for me its enough to get some big fights going and get my zerg drug there ;)

Default ...

that makes me kind of sad. but i do thank you for being honest and finally giving me a direct answer to the things ive been asking. i feel like a sucker for subbing for so long. oh well, least i dont have to pay to play this game anymore. daglar, do you ever pvp? because i totally want to shoot the messenger.

Default ...

The thing is, the Dev's have been saying they have PvP content changes on the backburner since the release of Storm Legion. At what point should people accept that no content will arrive?

bro, i think he pretty much just said it, without saying it. we burnt.

Ascendant

So yea, this would take roughly a week to two weeks to author and make function, then testing time, and reward time on top of that. It isn't an unreasonable request - just not something that can get worked on today.

Now the downside - PvP is more balanced with bolstering in mind - which is only available in Warfronts. World PvP is a really problematic issue - there is no balance, it is the wild west.

While on the surface world PvP appeals to a lot of people, typically it dies off -- we've seen that die off over time -- long before we introduced cross server functionality which some called the deathknell of RIFT's PvP servers. Ganking and guild fights are fun for a while, and then once one side gets dominant, everyone picks up and leaves. I've been part of alliances in games that have literally killed entire servers and made lots of people in those games unsub.

To be really blunt, we just don't have a good ruleset for open world PvP in RIFT - it is not our strength. Without making an entirely different game, I think we'd have a real hard time making a good ruleset for PvP within the confines of what is RIFT (and doesn't add specific requirements/values for people not on PvP servers to move there). You can't have instances, you can't have safe areas - you need a big wild west sandbox to play in -- and even then it really depends on the balance of power being hyper-dynamic to keep the community engaged instead of quitting.

I hope to never again make an MMO with a two faction system

~Daglar

Only now does promoting CQ make sense. Maybe if it went 24/7 with something other than extractors to beat on...

Only now does promoting CQ make sense. Maybe if it went 24/7 with something other than extractors to beat on...
    That would be too much like fun, stop the nonsense.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by azabar View Post
    bro, i think he pretty much just said it, without saying it. we burnt.
    Daglar hit 'post' before I did.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast