+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Numpad Keybinds

Default Numpad Keybinds

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could explain the negatives of using your numpad for keybindings. When doing some google searching it always says to bind keys around the WASD keys however whenever I have tried it I find it takes me longer to get to the spells vs having them bound on the numpad. I know the downside to using the numpad is that you cant use your mouse to turn and target but is the difference that significant I should start learning the "proper" way?

Thanks

MNM
    Prophet of Telara

Well I use the num keys, and I don't have any issues mouse turning

Quote Originally Posted by MNM View Post
    Well I use the num keys, and I don't have any issues mouse turning
    do you let go of WASD then and switch so left hand is on numpad and right hand on mouse?

By numpad do you mean the keys along the top of the keyboard, or in a cluster on the right hand side? I think you mean the cluster and that scares me.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    By numpad do you mean the keys along the top of the keyboard, or in a cluster on the right hand side? I think you mean the cluster and that scares me.
    When has anyone ever referred to the numbers along the top as the numpad?

Quote Originally Posted by jaal View Post
    Never, I was just hoping.

You should never let go of your mouse, it's the most important tool for control you have. The first thing you should do is to unbind turn from A and D and replace them with Strafe (if you haven't already.) Use your Right Mouse button to turn, it is faster, has greater control and is more efficient. You should then bind your most common abilities to keys like 1,2,3,4,q,e,r,f and other buttons close to your fingers (depending on hand size etc.) If you don't have a lot of experience using these buttons regularly then it will probably take you a while to adjust and your performance may be inferior as you transition. But in the long run it will be far better for your performance.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 04-30-2013 at 08:07 AM.
    Nope.

Default Razer Naga wants to speak to you.

Google it. Your num pad should be occupied by your mousebound keybinds. Unbind anything but your forward, reverse and strafe functions and rely entirely on your mouse for camera and turning functions.

Myself, I use a Naga in the mousehand, and a Razer Nostromo in the left. This gives the most possible keybinds with the least amount of time lost on keystroke travel time.
    "The thousand little pieces of my life, which I have tried so hard to hold onto, are slipping through my fingers again. Each time I have to pick them back up, my hands seem a little smaller. Don't pity me, kill me. Just be gentle." -from my hour of need-

I know a lot of people swear by Razer Naga and other similar mice. Personally I can't effectively use them, my fingers are too long and have to bend at uncomfortable angles to use one, same reason I don't use ctrl modifiers.
    Nope.

Never, I was just hoping.

You should never let go of your mouse, it's the most important tool for control you have. The first thing you should do is to unbind turn from A and D and replace them with Strafe (if you haven't already.) Use your Right Mouse button to turn, it is faster, has greater control and is more efficient. You should then bind your most common abilities to keys like 1,2,3,4,q,e,r,f and other buttons close to your fingers (depending on hand size etc.) If you don't have a lot of experience using these buttons regularly then it will probably take you a while to adjust and your performance may be inferior as you transition. But in the long run it will be far better for your performance.
    Thanks for a constructive post.

It seems awkward to reach lots of those keys while using WASD, would moving the left hand to the numpad while keeping the right on the mouse be a bad idea?

Also I have always avoided using macro's. While using the numpad it has never been an issue because there are so many keys. So I take it I should be utilising them when binding my keys?

MNM
    Prophet of Telara

Note how I said num keys, not num pad. I assumed you meant default keybinds, as primal hoped

Quote Originally Posted by Anathemus View Post
    Your num pad should be occupied by your mousebound keybinds.
    Sorry I dont understand what you mean by this.

Also I thought i would mention im only r36 so hardly PvPing at the top level by any stretch of the imagination

Default Heretic

I know a lot of people swear by Razer Naga and other similar mice. Personally I can't effectively use them, my fingers are too long and have to bend at uncomfortable angles to use one, same reason I don't use ctrl modifiers.
    Recant, thou backwards heathen. Cast not dispersion upon the gospel of naga!

If you consider all of the modifiers (shift, alt, ctrl) with the combo of a Nostromo and a Naga, you have enough keybinds to comfortably bind even the most complex spec in this game.

To give you a point of reference. I took my keybinding experience from old school WoW hunter before they were renovated and grossly simplified. To play them effectively in pvp you had to have about 60 keybinds. I used to get that all from a keyboard using a three button mouse. Believe me when I say that you really need to consider the amount of time you spend reaching for keys, and the inevitable keystroke error that can occur when you move your anchor finger from its place. Far better to embrace the religion of ergonomics, and use the new toys to better your gameplay.
    Last edited by Anathemus; 04-30-2013 at 08:19 AM.
    "The thousand little pieces of my life, which I have tried so hard to hold onto, are slipping through my fingers again. Each time I have to pick them back up, my hands seem a little smaller. Don't pity me, kill me. Just be gentle." -from my hour of need-

Default It is never to early to start doing it right.

Sorry I dont understand what you mean by this.

Also I thought i would mention im only r36 so hardly PvPing at the top level by any stretch of the imagination
    The Razer Naga uses the function of the numpad, but extends the buttons to the keypad on the side of the mouse. So you never have to take your hand off the mouse. There are pictures of it on Google, that will explain it better than I can.

I do have the numpad bound, but its purely self buffs and not really things i would need mid-combat.

It kinda varies depending on the individual; you'd have to create a scheme that's comfortable for you.

I can't stand the gaming mouse with 435436 buttons on them, I use a standard 2 button wheel mouse.

But I did pretty much rebind the entire keyboard. ... it would suck if I lost the keybinds somehow =P
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Quote Originally Posted by Anathemus View Post
    The Razer Naga uses the function of the numpad, but extends the buttons to the keypad on the side of the mouse. So you never have to take your hand off the mouse. There are pictures of it on Google, that will explain it better than I can.
    Oh okay i didnt realise the post was in reference to the mouse.

And I have seen the razer naga before but im not going to be spending ~50 on a mouse to get a slightly better experience in a game I play casually

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast