+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Numpad Keybinds

ur all doing it wrong. Rebind WASD to ESDF
    Valery@Zaviel - Mage | Valzz - Cleric | Soulsky - Rogue | Introvert - Warrior
    Everything you need to know for Mage: www.valvalval.net

Quote Originally Posted by Soul sky View Post
    ur all doing it wrong. Rebind WASD to ESDF
    Hipster!!!

Ascendant

I use QWES for some reason. Just feels more comfortable! Logitech G510 keyboard and Razer Naga (WHICH I ADORE) which helps a great deal.

And yes, learn to mouse turn. Keyboard turning is baaaaad.
    Raenryong@Deepwood R69 ~ Amathys@Zaviel (Rogue)
    Serefina@Deepwood R66 ~ Solserefina@Zaviel (Warrior)
    Seraena@Deepwood R80 ~ Seraena@Zaviel R70 (Cleric)
    Avalonia@Deepwood R66 ~ Avalonia@Zaviel (Mage)
    <Dauntless> ~ <Excellence>

Quote Originally Posted by MoonfireSpam View Post
    I do have the numpad bound, but its purely self buffs and not really things i would need mid-combat.

It kinda varies depending on the individual; you'd have to create a scheme that's comfortable for you.

I can't stand the gaming mouse with 435436 buttons on them, I use a standard 2 button wheel mouse.

But I did pretty much rebind the entire keyboard. ... it would suck if I lost the keybinds somehow =P
    /exportkeybindings mypreciouskeybindings

You're welcome

Personally I just use numbers, with shift/ctrl/alt modifiers. My mouse side buttons are for push to talk. And yes, rebind A and D to strafe immediately, games that use them for turning are nonsense.
    Last edited by TheGrinnz; 04-30-2013 at 12:30 PM.

I kept A and D as default... you strafe with them if you hold down your right mouse button while moving with A and D anyhow
    So long, and thanks for all the fish~

Default ....

W A S D

if you use anything else, you are a nerd.

Did all FPS games with mouse + keypad. The keys were more aligned imo and I had easier access to more, like ins/home/pgup nearby and the arrow keys nearby. I've only used WASD in MMO's because I was too lazy to rebind them, and just got used to it.

Knew one person who used the <, >, ., l, ', shift keys to game lol. Was a very good player. Even knew someone pull off phenomenal gameplay with a mouse on the right hand and a Rumblepad on the thigh. Look with mouse, move with rumblepad and use its buttons.

Point is, I have seen good talent use almost every area of the keyboard or just say screw using a keyboard at all. If you can work it you can work it. However, I have never seen someone do good with a keyboard turn. But I think it matters less in MMO's. It is like the give away sign it is your first week playing FPS though. I shook that habit off when I was 12! Say no to excessive keyboard turning and you are good.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

A Nostromo n52 (NOT the TE edition, the old silver/black/orange one) plus a programmable mouse is pretty win. Keybinds as far as the eye can see. Most importantly, to me, is that it overcomes one of the problems with WASD gameplay. With WASD, there is an overlap of which fingers you need to access your ability keys (1,2,3,4,5,6, q,e,r,f,z,x,c, etc.) and the fingers that move you. So you kind of have to play the Finger Waltz if you need to be strafing forward and left, and reach your #1 or Q key. The same goes for moving in other directions and other keys.

With the glory that is the Nostromo, a D-Pad controlled by your thumb replaces WASD. All directions at any time, one digit. The 14 keys above it are easily reached by your four unoccupied fingers. Along with the shift-modes, that's ~56 keys, and that's not counting the extra mouse wheel, wheel click, and two other thumb buttons, which can each be programmed to do entirely different things.

The only problem is that if you play on a PC without your Nostromo attached to it, you're kind of boned.

Okay, I'm done. Sorry.
    "You with your fancy cooldowns and "runic" power! You know where my power comes from!? THE BACK OF MY HAND, #&!$%!"

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    I know a lot of people swear by Razer Naga and other similar mice. Personally I can't effectively use them, my fingers are too long and have to bend at uncomfortable angles to use one, same reason I don't use ctrl modifiers.

I am perplexed at the size a thumb would have to be to not to be able to use the numberpad on the side of the mouse. Did you actually try it for more than 5 minutes?

The cluster of number in a square formation to the right on your keyboard should never be used for gaming. Learn to use the WASD set of keys and the ones around them, along with the normal numbers above those 1-4. If you're not familiar with modifiers, such as alt/shift/ctrl, then look it up on google.com. You will never be an effective player in pve or pvp if you decide to use the cluster of number pads to your right. And in modern MMORPG's, modifiers are almost always necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Between my Logitech G19 Keyboard and my Naga mouse I am good. I love both of them and can't picture gaming without them.

While doing PvE and PvP I use my naga's 12 side buttons (4-12 from action bar and 1-3 are bound to buttons on a different action bar), M3 - M5 and the wheel scroll up/down are also bound.

If you have really big hands like my husband does they do have attachments for the Naga to make it a little wilder, but the mouse is kind of short from front to back. I think the g600 is bigger has one more button on the mouse. You can use the mouse wheel pushed left or right and bind those as well with the g600.

I use WASD for moving with my tilde, Q,E,Z,X and C key bindings.

I like Val's idea of using ESDFfor you since you don't want to buy a naga as you're a casual gamer.

Thinking of doing esdf myself, but I already have 20+ key bindings that I set up myself if you include the mouse.
    Last edited by DojaLady; 04-30-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Default Forgot to mention one thing...

The Naga/G600 take some getting used too, but once you're comfortable with them they are amazing.

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by jaal View Post
    Oh okay i didnt realise the post was in reference to the mouse.

And I have seen the razer naga before but im not going to be spending ~50 on a mouse to get a slightly better experience in a game I play casually
    As a former skeptic myself, this sounds exactly what i thought too... Its too many buttons, its too expensive etc.

But i broke down and bought one and since about day two on saw improvement. Ive 4 (natural thumb position) set as autorun, and don't really use 123 much...but I'll never make that reach for = ever again. Actually, it gives 0-= as probably your easiest buttons to get at (always keep break free and defensive up on those binds).

As for strafe binds I'm probably in the minority because i use qwe for strafe forward strafe, s for back...my reason being that they're closest to 123. In general using wasd or qwes will let you keep a natural keyboard position and minimal reaches for 12345ish (on an average length hand)

Autorun should be on your mouse as either middle mouse on a 3 button or thumb button on a 5button. Keeping autorun and backwards available from a home position will improve how well you can puppet your character. Movement is essential to rift and In pvp you don't have time to move your hands around just to run around.

Also i saw you said you avoid using macros. Rift is made to use them and you will be at a serious disadvantage if you don't. You don't need to have the monster 15 ability macro or anything, but having a few obvious combinations can really cut down on macro-page shifts. For instance as a warrior you want to ae as champion?:
    Proper timing
    Thunderous strike
    Chains of death
    Bladefury

All on one button and whenever you want to use combo points to ae, itll use the right one without having to check out your 2nd or 3rd page for the CD. Again, economy of motion is the name of the game. Once you are familiar with your macros you will always know exactly what's the next ability up in its rotation, and the strategy involved in each button press is the same as if you pressed the ability itself. Its a common misconception that a macro will play the game for you, but in practice is just not the case.

I mean, in eq1 a 3button mouse worked and using arrows to move was the norm. But that was 1999.

Anyway, that's just my opinion, take out of it what you will or not at all.

Ezuen@Deepwood<Godlike Awesomeness>
    P80 warrior
    Last edited by oddiescell; 04-30-2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: credentials

Quote Originally Posted by jaal View Post
    It seems awkward to reach lots of those keys while using WASD, would moving the left hand to the numpad while keeping the right on the mouse be a bad idea?
    The major loss is that you'll lose access to ctrl, shift, and alt modifiers that increase the number of functions you can load onto one key.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip
    The cluster of number in a square formation to the right on your keyboard should never be used for gaming. Learn to use the WASD set of keys and the ones around them, along with the normal numbers above those 1-4. If you're not familiar with modifiers, such as alt/shift/ctrl, then look it up on google.com. You will never be an effective player in pve or pvp if you decide to use the cluster of number pads to your right. And in modern MMORPG's, modifiers are almost always necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerelith
    The major loss is that you'll lose access to ctrl, shift, and alt modifiers that increase the number of functions you can load onto one key.
    Just to the left of the arrow keys on my keyboard are insert (remapped to alt) and ctrl, and above those is the shift key. You do not loose access to the modifiers using the numpad.

When my fingers are on the arrow keys my little finger rests on any one of those buttons, with no danger of pressing the windows key.

I chose a cheap but close set keyboard, the ikbw11 because it suits my setup.
    I've counted the number of buttons my index finger will stretch to when ctrl is held down, using wasd = 24 + space bar for jump, using arrow keys and numpad = 20 + numpad0 for jump, so, sure you get extra buttons especially when all modifiers are taken into account, but personally my mind remembers the layout of the numpad easier and I actually use a huge number of those available keybinds, as mentioned before I also have a naga, with a layout the same as the numpad, how perfectly numpad and naga go together.
    My hotbars are set up so that they appear to be in a 3x4 block formation which makes it easy to see which button does what for the time it takes for my mind to catch up between changing games / characters.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast