+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Need more pvp updates

Soulwalker

Default Need more pvp updates

title says it all.

Detailed suggestions would be quite nice. PvP Dailies, PvP Rifts, CQ were all PvP Updates, but they all failed more or less.

A REAL conquest, so hold fortresses and outpost etc. would be quite nice. Tactical PvP which rewards players for playing tactical and not to zerg or pve all the time is always welcome - but PvE content is much more important for me at the end.

I would think most peoples vision of what cq should be like is something more like gw2 or warhammer. Personally Id like it to be one of several random maps and for join to be random.

The amount of strong points castles or whatever should be determined by the size of the map, smaller ones in off hours progressing to larger ones. Have tactical points like logging camps for
    Wood, mines for iron villages supply npc guards. Hold these points to add manpower and materials for seige or defense. Points scored for holding supply camps/villages and castles.

Add seige engines etc, prehaps introduce use of tunnels which were used widely historicaly. Increase marks awarded during cq and reduce amount awarded at the end to reduce the amount of 5 min joiners.

Quests for holding camps cap/defence and building seige and defensive units. Sound gd? Well we can dream cos it wont happen!

Lifari 59 Mage

Liffster 60 Rogue rank 80

Icewatch

Ascendant

Need more PvP updates?

I need more money. I need a brand new Benz. Truth is, neither are happening, and neither are PvP updates.

Default much as I hate to agree with Thiuss (cause hes bad)

He is right. Daglar practically dropped trou and crapped on the pvp community with his off the cuff posts a couple weeks ago. Add that to the many many times he has shat on rated wf systems, arena systems, and their overall recalcitrance in regard to CQ, and the outright lazy rate at which they are fixing class balance issues, and then only for the sake of pve, we are on our own. If he disagrees with my characterization of his fail in this regard, the proof is in the pudding. This is a results based business, and the results are obvious.

There are player based attempts to organize CQ, and now there are player based attempts to organize some 5v5 systems. The systems are in place for wfs, and I would like to see those same efforts put towards rated wf teams since the infrastructure for that is already in place.

What little is left of the pvp community is in the midst of a death roll. This is it, if we want anything from this game, we will have to make it ourselves. Its not ideal, but neither is the dev. team... The worst that can happen is we are unable to motivate people to continually struggle from patch to patch with no real point but to keep feeding Subscription money to the Defiance team. On the flip side, we may actuallly manage to breath a little life back into the game we all want to see succeed, despite the clumsy and impoverished state that it has fallen into since it was cannibalized for funds.

Forgive my cynicism, but two years of history here are enough to make anybody bitter when they compare what the game was, and could still be, and what Trion has decided to do with it.
    Its disgusting honestly. A creative atrocity, a monument to the corrosive influence of business ethics.... I shall diatribe some more later. QQ off. Back to accounting homework
    "The thousand little pieces of my life, which I have tried so hard to hold onto, are slipping through my fingers again. Each time I have to pick them back up, my hands seem a little smaller. Don't pity me, kill me. Just be gentle." -from my hour of need-

What this game needs is more cowbell.

Default Don't misunderstand me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerelith View Post
    What this game needs is more cowbell.
    Though I am brutally honest about the state of the game, I am not losing any sleep over it. You can't be alive and be so thin skinned as to be effected by such things. At the same time, I don't think it does anybody any good to be unrealistic about exactly where we are. These games for me, are a momentary escape from the mundane. If they don't provide that escape, and instead require you to face the incursion of harsh reality into your gaming life as well, they cease to have a function.

What you are calling cowbell, I would call righteous indignation. When this game launched it was in the hands of idealists, who put everything they had into it. Look at it now, and tell me thats what you see. I see callous budget mongers at the helm. Many of them are the same people, but they have just lost passion for the game. You can look at the bottom line and see its not healthy, but you can also look at the level of innovation, and enthusiasm with which the game is being designed. This game, is a system. You must input into a system to enable a function, and derive an output. Entropy and the standards of decay necessitate innovation and growth to sustain a system. Stagnation is anathema, and its all around us. Intellectual, budgetary, innovative, and design....

I like this game, and I would never want to hurt it, or people that play it and also enjoy it. But not speaking up when there is an obvious issue, is tantamount to culpability in its demise. You can be flip if you like, but I am not to that point yet.
    "The thousand little pieces of my life, which I have tried so hard to hold onto, are slipping through my fingers again. Each time I have to pick them back up, my hands seem a little smaller. Don't pity me, kill me. Just be gentle." -from my hour of need-

I'm willing to wager the OP is not rank 80 and does not have all the R80 equipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

PvP is purely player driven, any new Warfronts they add should be merely "backdrops" to the main purpose, Player Vs Player

I'm fairly sure Trion has all the Data to pour over for what happened when they made the game basically Factionless and people were free to join Guilds, join groups, do raids etc as both Guardian and Defiants.

Look at the last remaining PvP servers, very low population so it suggests the majority of Rift players are quite happy to play PvE and just do "PvP" in a sanitised and "safe" environment of instanced Warfronts and Conquest.

Having said that i'd certainly be in favour of some form of defend the Keeps, or build a base, someone suggested harvesting wood and stone to make a Keep/base then defend it, have it a persistent event? on a timer? offer incentives to the winning side? mounts, wardrobe fluff, anything.

Think a bit like Age of Conan with Guild vs Guild Keep attacks, doesn't have to be too elaborate or take up too many resources, just give PvP players their own instanced zone with a warning you enter here you're fair game, let them build bases, siege engines, the works
    Last edited by Slipmat; 04-30-2013 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    I'm willing to wager the OP is not rank 80 and does not have all the R80 equipment.
    Yea because grinding gear is what pvp is all about right? you being the captain of the competition police I know this is your reason for PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by dday View Post
    Yea because grinding gear is what pvp is all about right? you being the captain of the competition police I know this is your reason for PvP.
    Imagine me as a pve player requesting new pve content while not finishing the current one at hand. I see this a lot amongst players that can never be pleased no matter what is thrown at them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Imagine me as a pve player requesting new pve content while not finishing the current one at hand. I see this a lot amongst players that can never be pleased no matter what is thrown at them.
    pve is all about gear. that's the point. kill bosses and get gear. pvp is about being the best at killing other players not scripted instances. I wouldn't want new raid content until I progressed through the current level with all the gear. people crave a way to compete because that's the nature of PvP not another grind.

Ascendant

Huh? That doesn't even make sense. First of all, some people have all the gear. Second, who says that people need to have all the gear before new PvP content is available? It's been ages since PvP has been thrown a bone. PvP to me (and many others) is not about rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    PvP is purely player driven, any new Warfronts they add should be merely "backdrops" to the main purpose, Player Vs Player

I'm fairly sure Trion has all the Data to pour over for what happened when they made the game basically Factionless and people were free to join Guilds, join groups, do raids etc as both Guardian and Defiants.

Look at the last remaining PvP servers, very low population so it suggests the majority of Rift players are quite happy to play PvE and just do "PvP" in a sanitised and "safe" environment of instanced Warfronts and Conquest.

k:
    Here we go again. The false narrative appears yet again. Seastone's decline in population is not a direct correlation to PvE interest rather it was a reaction to a Sophie's choice scenario directly imposed on Seastone guilds that severely punished a guild's recruiting ability amidst a declining population, for choosing to enjoy WPvP. As a result of this extreme disincentive cost, most guilds (meaning all but 2) decided it was too hard to try to access 20 man content on Seastone due to Trion imposed penalties. And many former Seastone guilds are NOT happy about their forced Exodus from wPvP due to Trions actions.
    Last edited by Jacknife69; 04-30-2013 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dday View Post
    pve is all about gear. that's the point. kill bosses and get gear. pvp is about being the best at killing other players not scripted instances. I wouldn't want new raid content until I progressed through the current level with all the gear. people crave a way to compete because that's the nature of PvP not another grind.
    Quote Originally Posted by AceinHole View Post
    Huh? That doesn't even make sense. First of all, some people have all the gear. Second, who says that people need to have all the gear before new PvP content is available? It's been ages since PvP has been thrown a bone. PvP to me (and many others) is not about rewards.
    I am sure he's probably just trolling. The fact that he even considers Warriors and Rogues on any sort of level playing field suggests that you shouldn't take what he says very seriously.

As for PvP updates, eh. My main problem is just poor map design/balance issues in classes. You can in some regard justify not adding much PvP content simply due to the fact that, if the maps etc are good quality, you don't really need any new content. It's just all the WFs are plain awful.

While I do consider myself more of a PvEer, PvP is almost as important to me and due to how poor quality the PvP is in Rift (some of the worst I've had the displeasure to play) I've recently quit the game, which is a terrible shame due to how great the PvE content is.
    Last edited by Garnatian; 04-30-2013 at 08:57 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast