+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Pros and Cons of the 5v5 tournament

Prophet of Telara

Default Pros and Cons of the 5v5 tournament

Cons:
    It was very long, i'd suggest next time in the beginning when we have a lot of teams still, that 2 teams play at once and then once some are eliminated, start playing one team at a time

Pros:
    Commentary can actually be funny and very entertaining (i was completely against it all at first and i talked so much trash about how dumb i thought the idea was) but i was completely wrong, badfish and nurse did an awesome job and thank you guys for sticking it through, it was very long
    Also Baerrack is f'n hilarious...
    Nuku had to of put so much work into this, that it baffles my mind
    How fun it can be watching other peoples fights
    That others teams did really well, i was very surprised and i could only imagine if they kept grouping together and got better each time, just how good some of the teams could get

I wish more teams were interested in that type of thing it would really create some good competition
    I had a blast and that was by far the most fun i've had in this game
    Last edited by slash_wrists; 04-28-2013 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slash_wrists View Post
    Cons:
    It was very long, i'd suggest next time in the beginning when we have a lot of teams still, that 2 teams play at once and then once some are eliminated, start playing one team at a time

Pros:
    Commentary can actually be funny and very entertaining (i was completely against it all at first and i talked so much trash about how dumb i thought the idea was) but i was completely wrong, badfish and nurse did an awesome job and thank you guys for sticking it through, it was very long
    Also Baerrack is f'n hilarious...
    Nuku had to of put so much work into this, that it baffles my mind
    How fun it can be watching other peoples fights
    That others teams did really well, i was very surprised and i could only imagine if they kept grouping together and got better each time, just how good some of the teams could get

I wish more teams were interested in that type of thing it would really create some good competition
    I had a blast and that was by far the most fun i've had in this game
    cons: im old and live on the east coast please start this before midnight so i can play next time. my guild absorbed a few other small guilds so i might be able to put a 5 man together again between me an enforcer

Make good use of the cross-shard channels to spur interest and advertise events, it's a tedious effort but I've been in several channels (mainly CQ ones) and I've seen the effects they can have on reinvigorating a rather demoralized population to take up arms and participate.

And of course moderation is required. Haters/Trolls gonna Hate/Troll.

It was a lot of fun to watch.

Like someone else suggested, it would be cool if there were league divisions...

I mean let's face it, not everyone is in the same league. I know I'm not even close to being in the league of play that Slash/Wreck and those guys are in...but I would still love to play against players that are more in my "league"

I think if we had league divisions, it might encourage more people to participate..especially if they knew that they wouldn't be getting smashed by the "upper" league of players. (we want a chance of actually winning lol)

Just a thought!
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnnxia View Post
    Make good use of the cross-shard channels to spur interest and advertise events, it's a tedious effort but I've been in several channels (mainly CQ ones) and I've seen the effects they can have on reinvigorating a rather demoralized population to take up arms and participate.

And of course moderation is required. Haters/Trolls gonna Hate/Troll.
    5v5@deepwood

Been spamming that the past month.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Misun View Post
    It was a lot of fun to watch.

Like someone else suggested, it would be cool if there were league divisions...

I mean let's face it, not everyone is in the same league. I know I'm not even close to being in the league of play that Slash/Wreck and those guys are in...but I would still love to play against players that are more in my "league"

I think if we had league divisions, it might encourage more people to participate..especially if they knew that they wouldn't be getting smashed by the "upper" league of players. (we want a chance of actually winning lol)

Just a thought!

I see your point and i think a lot more people would get into this sort of thing if that was an option because it would be gradual and not so in your face.
    I think a lot of potentially good teams didn't get to go against our team either and there would have been some good fights that people didn't get to see last night.
    Fotm would have been good competition if they had their A team, they have 2 of the best healers in the game and if they had their A team it would have been very fun to go against them, I also think it would have been fun to play against the godlike teams
    I do see why it would be frustrating to go against better teams but at the same time, it would only make you better and even last night being challenged by yoke, strente, skreamo, thiuss, mired/44 was very fun for us, so i wouldn't be so quick to consider people out of another teams league, a lot of it is just inexperience at this point.
    Last edited by slash_wrists; 04-28-2013 at 06:09 PM.

A lot of pros to list, I would say the night was an overall success aside from people getting tired. The sun was coming up if you stayed till the end on the East coast.

Suggestions (cons?):

- Too long, need to be split into multiple days, or just done each week for ~3 - 4 hours max.
    - No map variety somehow.
    - Need a ready up process. Someone from each time, imo, should give a ready shout. I perceived a few matches where both teams didn't seem on the same page.
    - Agreed upon tie method. Either first to wipe next game (a full game opens potential for another tie) or default to kill count.

Just 2c for now. Things that stand out at first.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

we need to have a week or 2 registration period and than a 2 or 3 week regular season with games scheduled every night through out the week were everyone gets two play everyone twice and than have seeded bracket for the tourney for the championship based on your win loss record.Than the championship bracket is played over a week or so time period. Each night could have 1 to 2 hours of events a night and you will know days ahead of the exact time you are going and have time to plan and set the time aside. Not hours but minutes. I would do the administrative work and right the schedules if you all would be down with this idea. We would probably need the people behind the tourney to be the leadership and the driving force as they are good at that kind of thing.
    Abadfish@Deepwood <Philanthropy> 4/4TDQ 3/4 FT 2/5 EE Cleric DPS 61 Inquisitor 15 Defiler 0 Justicar
    Blame me it is always my fault, I don't know how but I am sure it is just the same.
    Check out my Twitch TV page, I will be streaming when ever I am logged in. www.twitch.tv/abealri

I'm still against these but slash.....why don't u split the team's in divisions? 4 teams in each division play each other and one with best record moves on, and maybe use dex or scion next time as well for more space.....one last suggestion which is probably going to create issues but u should try defiants only and guard only groups. Seastoners want the return of pvp just as much as u do and these events gave them a disadvantage by not having as large of a choice of players. The usual people that have raged at me for posting stuff like this, I'm not trying to insult u, just merely pointing out that u r just providing another reason to leave seastone.
    RGI@Deepwood --- <-Hello Kitty->
    [A Stick]
    King of Conquest

http://riftpvpleague.enjin.com/home

I was thinking that we should use something like this for said league to do things such as:
    Registration
    Use the calendar for scheduling the matches
    a place to host the news about the league
    a front page for the brackets
    a place to moderate the forums about said league
    and I am sure many more things that my small brain can not think of.
    Abadfish@Deepwood <Philanthropy> 4/4TDQ 3/4 FT 2/5 EE Cleric DPS 61 Inquisitor 15 Defiler 0 Justicar
    Blame me it is always my fault, I don't know how but I am sure it is just the same.
    Check out my Twitch TV page, I will be streaming when ever I am logged in. www.twitch.tv/abealri

Quote Originally Posted by Rgizil View Post
    I'm still against these but slash.....why don't u split the team's in divisions? 4 teams in each division play each other and one with best record moves on, and maybe use dex or scion next time as well for more space.....one last suggestion which is probably going to create issues but u should try defiants only and guard only groups. Seastoners want the return of pvp just as much as u do and these events gave them a disadvantage by not having as large of a choice of players. The usual people that have raged at me for posting stuff like this, I'm not trying to insult u, just merely pointing out that u r just providing another reason to leave seastone.
    It would be really interesting and fun to have defiant vs. guardian! I would be down for that!

Plus it would get our Seastone brethren involved too! Great idea!
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Abealri View Post
    http://riftpvpleague.enjin.com/home

I was thinking that we should use something like this for said league to do things such as:
    Registration
    Use the calendar for scheduling the matches
    a place to host the news about the league
    a front page for the brackets
    a place to moderate the forums about said league
    and I am sure many more things that my small brain can not think of.
    Just use this: http://forums.doyouevenrift.com/index.php

It's a much better site and most pvpers are already registered.

Does it have calenders to post the events? And also I would think that if there was a league it would need its own site not a post in a forum. That is a great website I agree with that, but is about all PVP and not specific to the league with registration and what not.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Rgizil View Post

I wasn't setting these up, i just participated in them and was giving my opinion based off of that and if you have ideas on how to improve it i'm sure nuku and others would listen
    I had reservations about BG at first because i'm a cleric and healing in BG is a pain but it turned out to be just fine in my opinion and the walls were great for commentary but i'd be open to using other maps/divisions also.
    This was just the first 5v5 tournament and i think they did an amazing job with what they had.

On that note, i don't feel sorry for seastone or think they have a disadvantage because they choose to play on a shard that doesn't offer defiant/guardian ques
    Seastone is perfectly capable of getting 5s groups together, learning how to play/adapt in 5v5s settings just as well as people from pve shards could...
    instead of saying it's simply not possible or assuming it's an disadvantage because the teams would be primary defiant or guardian, it's about learning/adapting to 5s, not which faction you are it's becoming a tiresome excuse at this point and if it's an issue for you, then switch to a shard where it's possible...
    i miss world pvp at times but i like what pve shards offer and i prefer playing with the people i like, guardian or defiant isn't an issue to me.
    i used to be on seastone for a long time, zerg vs zerg/world pvp got very slow and boring to me so i prefer 5v5s, my love for 5v5s and playing with the people i like both guardian/defiant now out weigh world pvp at this point, it's just a preference though

Quote Originally Posted by Abealri View Post
    Does it have calenders to post the events? And also I would think that if there was a league it would need its own site not a post in a forum. That is a great website I agree with that, but is about all PVP and not specific to the league with registration and what not.
    No, we do not need something else. It will do perfectly fine.

Moreover it would have to be someone owning the website if we did indeed choose to use a different website.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast