+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: PvP tourney -- some thoughts

Ascendant

Default PvP tourney -- some thoughts

Ok, first of all I'd like to thank Nuku for putting this together. I can imagine all the work it took. Here's some ideas I have to make the next one go even smoother:

1) Start it around 6 PM Server (6 PST, 9EST). We didn't start this one until 9 server (12 EST) which puts people on the east coast in a bind for time. There was a lot of attrition because some people were just too tired.

2) Have two separate matches go on simultaneously. This will further speed things up. They started doing this about half-way through and should have done it from the start, imo.

3) Make it clear to people that the tourney could take 3-4 hours and for people to MAKE TIME beforehand to be able to stay for the duration. This isn't something that just takes 30 minutes and is over.

4) Have the tournament director (Nuku) post the bracket to a website beforehand so everyone will know what to expect before the day of the tourney.

5) Take bets on who will win. We need a Rift oddsmaker and a bookie.

6) Nerf Beastmaster.

Any other ideas?
    I

Ascendant

Also I would like to say Abelari did an awesome job commentating, especially considering he has never done it before. He has a good voice for it.

i hope the plat pot wasn't the deciding factor that prompted a bigger turn out than usual from our weekly 5v5/10v10 nights.
    if we do revert back to casual 5v5s without the plat pot or a tournament set up, i'm still hoping for a huge turn up. things can definately move on more concurrently like we do always. 2 sets of 5v5 going in each WF, or however many teams show up i'm sure we can set it up to fight a team simultaneously as other teams.

The tournament was greatly entertaining. I thank Nuku for setting it up, the people from the 5v5@deepwood channel and everyone else for participating.

Commentators still have a lot to learn about Rift though.

It was really disappointing when some people didn't show up, causing mass substitutions and an entire team quitting.It was also disappointing when some teams forfeited due to it lasting so late.

I really would like to thank everyone who came and I hope more people will show up for the captain 5s/10s next week!

Links are below:

5s - 10s

Soulwalker

I believe the reason for not doing 2 matches at once at the start of the event was due to internet connectivity issues for quite a few teams at that time.

I would participate in a tournament of this kind without a reward but that's just me. I hadn't heard about this until yesterday as I don't usually check into the pvp forum.

It would be really awesome if Trion implemented a spectator type mode so that the people streaming could have up close views of the battles without distracting the teams (I guess I'm thinking of something similar to how starcraft 2 is commentated). Hopefully more of these community driven events become popular enough that Trion could add these kind of tools.

simple fix for next time

don't do it all in one night.

Quote Originally Posted by wickede View Post
    simple fix for next time

don't do it all in one night.
    This is what I have thought too.

Also as far as starting time, it can go either way. There were some teams who wouldn't have been a team if it wasn't started as late as it was. This was sort of cool thing about ladder systems. Same tone and sense of overall team ranking...but matches are on a more sparing individual scheduled basis. Still can stream/record them.

Fun stuff, will be cool to see if it happens more or better things are ironed out.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

General of Telara

These are all great suggestions, and I will utilize them for next time. Thanks everyone for coming out. I will have rankings posted tomorrow and distribute the tournament money when I wake up.
    Last edited by xzaar; 04-28-2013 at 02:24 AM.

As a non serious way to pass the time, how about we do the whole pull team members from a hat thingy. I think it would be funny and completely random who won.

But this tournament was gg and for all the effort that went into it.
    Awesome game. #1 PvP.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by LolitaSpanky View Post
    As a non serious way to pass the time, how about we do the whole pull team members from a hat thingy. I think it would be funny and completely random who won.

But this tournament was gg and for all the effort that went into it.
    People tried that and it didn't work out so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tookmyjob View Post
    People tried that and it didn't work out so well.
    Oh right, too many epeens.
    Awesome game. #1 PvP.

Ascendant

So who won

is there somewhere where we can see the results of the various matches, and tournament as a whole??

I stayed up for one match last night on the ustream, but the wife was on me to get to bed so I missed 99% of it

Default ...

isnt it obvious who won?

TOURNAMENTFAILONURCHIN

I had to go to bed so I missed some of it..who won?
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast