+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Trion, I'd like to see a "Duel group" feature added

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

Lightbulb Trion, I'd like to see a "Duel group" feature added

I've thought about this idea for a while. I am posting it in the PvP section of these boards to get a better idea with what I am listing is what the PvP community would like, or to show how devolved i have become over these years. While I am sure it would take a fair amount of time to code and implement, I feel the results may outweigh the risk.

This is the idea (take the time to read it - no tl;dr):
    Group dueling would require two or more people to be in a party or raid. This would be for activating the "Send Group Duel Request" by right clicking a remote groups party or raid member. The raid or party leader would be the only one able to send requests and accept/deny the group duel request.

Figure it like the current 1v1 dueling system. However, rather it being 1v1, it would be expanded from 2v2 up to 20v20 in a group duel.

As to showing who is who during a group duel event, it would give an icon to the persons name - much like the CQ faction icons or the defiant/guardian faction icons. The opposing group would have the normal nameplate/tag change on coloring as well.

Some common questions that will probably arise:

Why group dueling?
    We have conquest, we have instanced warfronts, we have faction v faction (yay seastone), but no true group vs group? You could call faction v faction as 'group dueling', but at the end of the day its still Faction v Faction. Noting that a faction system prohibits guardians and defiants from grouping together like they can in CQ or in warfronts!

Where would these group duels work (be enabled) at?
    All of the open world and within dimensions.

Where would they not work (be disabled) at?
    Warfronts, Conquest, Raid instances, dungeon instances.

What would be the range limitation to the Group duel be?
    Open world would be 250 meters from the initiation point of the two parties.
    Dimensions, the green barrier of the dimension is the limit as is most everything else in those places. Sure, you can teleport outside of those barriers, that's beside the point.

What would happen if someone goes and exceeds the range limitation?
    This is a tricky and sticky scenario. First idea I could think of that would be fair is to make it so that they cannot interact with the remaining group still dueling, and won't be able to support their group until the group duel ends. Effectively, a disqualifying method. However noting that, within 20 meters of that barrier, the player(s) would get warnings that they're close to the range limit.

Would there be some sort of command to stop the group duel?
    Yep, just like in 1v1 duels. /forfeit would work in such a case. Only the raid lead could use the command.

Open world mobs... would they interfere with the group duel?
    Yep - would have to kill the mobs or avoid them. Unless, Trion somehow manages to code in something to cause the mobs to be passive within the area to the group dueling parties (which would be pretty damn cool). Essentially, you wouldn't be able to click them or interact with them.

What about faction pvp flagged players outside of the group duel?
    As mentioned above, neither dueling party would be able to interact with the pvp flagged player(s) outside of either dueling group, while in an active group duel. Sort of like Tempest Bay where open world PVP is completely blocked off.

edit; Please don't turn this thread into a /signed petition type of thread, post your thoughts if you agree or disagree! I like forum PvP. ;)
    Last edited by bctrainers; 04-27-2013 at 08:27 AM.
    --BC

Ascendant

I'd like it, but Trion doesn't care about PvP content very much.
    Raenryong@Deepwood R69 ~ Amathys@Zaviel (Rogue)
    Serefina@Deepwood R66 ~ Solserefina@Zaviel (Warrior)
    Seraena@Deepwood R80 ~ Seraena@Zaviel R70 (Cleric)
    Avalonia@Deepwood R66 ~ Avalonia@Zaviel (Mage)
    <Dauntless> ~ <Excellence>

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

Hum, missed that second reply somehow.

Either way, never hurts to keep that little itch in the ear still going - right?
    --BC

Ascendant

Won't happen, BC. Trion has already said "hell no" to any group duel ideas.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by AceinHole View Post
    Won't happen, BC. Trion has already said "hell no" to any pvp content ideas.
    fixed that for you!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Raen Ryong View Post
    fixed that for you!
    One can only hope an MMO with devs that CARE about PvP is on the horizon. We shall see what ESO offers. After SWTOR and GW2, I am not getting my hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by AceinHole View Post
    One can only hope an MMO with devs that CARE about PvP is on the horizon. We shall see what ESO offers. After SWTOR and GW2, I am not getting my hopes up.
    seriously im so tired of this game and waiting for something. im sick of potential this potential that. devs dont give a crap about pvp in the game. i enjoy pve but pvp is my favorite and it is just not there with this game.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by dday View Post
    seriously im so tired of this game and waiting for something. im sick of potential this potential that. devs dont give a crap about pvp in the game. i enjoy pve but pvp is my favorite and it is just not there with this game.
    It's so frustrating too, and a lot of people don't seem to understand our frustration.

Devs wax lyrical on all of the new and exciting PvE content on the horizon... while we get absolutely nothing. PvE this, PvE that... but not a mention of PvP. Rift PvP gets thrown under the bus with PvE changes again and again (STM MM, 61RB, WE Sentinel) with PVP consequences an absolute afterthought. PvP content like PvP rifts and open world dailies completely removed. Daglar said he's not going to say anything because it'll just continue to bleed subs - meaning there is probably nothing related to PvP coming on the horizon.

it's extremely frustrating, and people don't seem to understand why which is even more annoying

He got our hopes up by saying that group duels was something he wanted to add to the game...

Then dashed our hopes on the rocks by saying that no new pvp content was coming.

Eso looks really promising though!
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

Default You know what really makes em mad?

Starting threads about upcoming games, and using their forums to organize guilds and social groups that plan to move to the new game when it launches. lol, I don't know what they expect at this point. It really is starting to get bad. Hell take a look in some of the pve forums, we aint the only ones that are losing faith.
    "The thousand little pieces of my life, which I have tried so hard to hold onto, are slipping through my fingers again. Each time I have to pick them back up, my hands seem a little smaller. Don't pity me, kill me. Just be gentle." -from my hour of need-

my 4 sentinels + archon can beat your 4 sentinels + archon!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ianto Jones View Post
    my 4 sentinels + archon can beat your 4 sentinels + archon!!
    Woah woah woah.

4 sents + 1 BM > 4 sents + 1 archon.

That hp buff cooldown is OP

Rift Disciple definitelynotzoar's Avatar

I could play rift everyday if i wanted to. I just got brned out after 2years of the same exact content. Its reall hard to justify. Playing longer then 30mins a week right now.

I do love Rift and would help in whatever way I could to better this game for the pvp players but we are doing what we can together.

These tourneys are long over due and are going to be fun to do and watch but they are only going to last so long until there is a feature that supports them. Eventually the pugs show up and people get mad at people and it all goes down hill. Not tha pugs are a bad thing just that it hinders the original goal and time it takes to orginze such things.

A simple group duel feature is somthing that could REALLYlet us create our own content. And that would take some serious heat of trions ***. Maybe not permenantly bu long enough to respond to a thread and not get ***** with a pich fork.

Please work on this Daglar. Pull some strings werk that charm you got, lets make this out as a personal gift to the loyals here standing by Rift promoting your game on you tube and other game forums.

We love RIft but just because we love it doesnt mean it cant become a less then exciting expeirence after a while.

In the meantime, it should be possible to simulate group duels by doing warfronts on the PTS. As far as I know, pretty much no one does WFs there, so if you queue up two premade groups, they should end up against each other. Then you can ignore the objectives and just fight.
    Last edited by Muspel; 04-27-2013 at 01:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast