+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Worse than ever?

Telaran

Default Worse than ever?

Since March I have not enjoyed any war fronts or conquest. Every war front is either cant die or cant kill, one side completely walks over the other, not much fun winning or losing.
    Every Conquest is a complete Dom walk over, again not much fun winning or losing.
    I'm sure it was a much closer pvp experience in the past? You used to get a few 'walkovers' but now each and every match is dull and frustrating.
    Or am I just being unlucky?

Telaran

No you are not being unlucky. I have found that most WFs are roll or get rolled depending on how many healers each side has.

It will not be long now that tiron will make PVP ranks decay much as CQ power decays to bring in more people to the WF's.

Telaran

lol! why don't they work to make it fun rather than forcing people to things that bore them ultimately quitting the game.
    conquest is a daily chore for me no enjoyment whatsoever, I take first three extractors and leave, complete the daily every three days, I have all warlord gear and don't need tokens.
    cq decay is a very desperate way to get more people to play and that's why half the team are afk and 30 people join after the final countdown starts.
    Make it enjoyable and varied and more people will get involved.
    Maybe I am bored with cq because I am forced to play it every day? I don't want to.

Rift Master

No one wants to acknowledge this, least of all the "healing brigade" that flies in to counter any and all sensible balance postings, but pvp is largely so binary because healing is virtually free. Any damage that doesn't lead directly to a kill has no value because there is no strain on resources. The only thing that does strain a healer's mana is ridiculous burst damage (forcing the use of mana dumps) and/or drains (especially dom). Otherwise, medium damage, spread damage, dot damage - none of that has any measurable impact on a healer's resources.

Example of the way things work right now: as a dps class, you unload tons of damage into someone or a group of someone's. You focus when you can, you prioritize targets wisely, but your side doesn't have enough oomph to straight burn people down. That's all well and good, except the hundreds of thousands of damage you might be doing? Yeah, it's actually worthless. Literally worthless. You'd like to hang your hat on the notion that you forced a healer to heal, forced someone to spend mana, forced a person to utilize resources. But those resources *are already back*. Such is mana regen, passive and active, in this game.

If mana regen were, say, halved, and active regens were given a cool down, then your damage would always have meaning. Anything that has to be healed would serve at least some purpose, whether it's aoe, dot, or just a bunch of damage pumped into someone who didn't end up dying. Would this make healing harder? Absolutely. Would healers still rule the game? Absolutely. Would dom drains need nerfs? Absolutely. But you wouldn't have so many completely one-sided games, and I think that would be a good thing.

That's a huge point. Mana is not a problem in this game. Only in the most prolonged of fights have I ever run into (very minor) mana issues, and those are always some sort of elite boss pve fight. Your mana bar might as well have an infinity symbol in this game in any PvP instance.

As a dominator I can take down rogue or warrior energy fine, but it's futile to try vs a healer most of the time.

open up the scoreboard and count the people actually playing. It's only a few on each team.

the infinite mana thing has been a gripe of mine about this game (PVP) for a long time

it's never going to change which sucks, but I agree if that means anything

Ascendant

You definitely don't have infinite mana as a healer. Enough to keep healing unless being mana drained? Yes, but only the most insubstantial spells. The ones which actually heal people for a good amount require a lot of mana and can't just be spammed ad infinitum.

Ignore all of the above if we're talking about Chloro, but it's generally worse at PvP healing anyway so...
    Raenryong@Deepwood R69 ~ Amathys@Zaviel (Rogue)
    Serefina@Deepwood R66 ~ Solserefina@Zaviel (Warrior)
    Seraena@Deepwood R80 ~ Seraena@Zaviel R70 (Cleric)
    Avalonia@Deepwood R66 ~ Avalonia@Zaviel (Mage)
    <Dauntless> ~ <Excellence>

Fia

Quote Originally Posted by handerhank View Post
    No one wants to acknowledge this, least of all the "healing brigade" that flies in to counter any and all sensible balance postings, but pvp is largely so binary because healing is virtually free. Any damage that doesn't lead directly to a kill has no value because there is no strain on resources. The only thing that does strain a healer's mana is ridiculous burst damage (forcing the use of mana dumps) and/or drains (especially dom). Otherwise, medium damage, spread damage, dot damage - none of that has any measurable impact on a healer's resources.

Example of the way things work right now: as a dps class, you unload tons of damage into someone or a group of someone's. You focus when you can, you prioritize targets wisely, but your side doesn't have enough oomph to straight burn people down. That's all well and good, except the hundreds of thousands of damage you might be doing? Yeah, it's actually worthless. Literally worthless. You'd like to hang your hat on the notion that you forced a healer to heal, forced someone to spend mana, forced a person to utilize resources. But those resources *are already back*. Such is mana regen, passive and active, in this game.
    Are you being serious??? I have infinite mana as a cleric?

You don't play a cleric, do you?

1 Crucial Invokation = 1800 Mana, needed most of the time as the damage is very high, except if you play against new players that don't know anything about PvP, yet, but you will almost always have at least 2 or 3 players that do a massive amount of burst damage, forcing you to regularly pop those CDs => I'm out of mana most of the time during a Warfront.

Yes, Mages have practically infinite amounts of mana, so what? Have you ever seen a Mage being able to heal against burst damage? I sure haven't and I bet you haven't either. AOE dps have infinite amounts of mana as well, I don't see a problem with AOE healers having that as well.

Not to mention doms draining your mana at a rate of almost 1000 mana per tick and therefore completely negating all of my mana regen capabilities.
    Last edited by Fia; 04-26-2013 at 05:20 AM.
    Fiia@Typhiria | Asthea@Hailol
    Cleric-Heal/Tank/DD | Lvl70

Now with new Prime Content! -> http://youtube.com/astheatv

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Fia View Post
    Are you being serious??? I have infinite mana as a cleric?

You don't play a cleric, do you?

1 Crucial Invokation = 1800 Mana, needed most of the time as the damage is very high, except if you play against new players that don't know anything about PvP, yet, but you will almost always have at least 2 or 3 players that do a massive amount of burst damage, forcing you to regularly pop those CDs => I'm out of mana most of the time during a Warfront.

Yes, Mages have practically infinite amounts of mana, so what? Have you ever seen a Mage being able to heal against burst damage? I sure haven't and I bet you haven't either. AOE dps have infinite amounts of mana as well, I don't see a problem with AOE healers having that as well.

Not to mention doms draining your mana at a rate of almost 1000 mana per tick and therefore completely negating all of my mana regen capabilities.
    Wardens actually don't have infinite Mana either if they have to spam Healing Effusion - very pricey too! Chloros are the only healer which truly has no mana issues unless drained HARD.

I don't agree about the cleric stuff healers are fine right now but I do agree PvP is roll or get rolled. with the in flux of new players with sl I feel the overall quality of player is pretty low. pug wfs are pretty boring right now. the games when what I do actually matters is few and far between.

Fia

Quote Originally Posted by dday View Post
    I don't agree about the cleric stuff healers are fine right now but I do agree PvP is roll or get rolled. with the in flux of new players with sl I feel the overall quality of player is pretty low. pug wfs are pretty boring right now. the games when what I do actually matters is few and far between.
    I totally agree with you on that.

Fia

Quote Originally Posted by Raen Ryong View Post
    Wardens actually don't have infinite Mana either if they have to spam Healing Effusion - very pricey too! Chloros are the only healer which truly has no mana issues unless drained HARD.
    Ok, that is true, I totally forgot about Warden, imo Warden is so absolutely useless, that I completely forgot about it, at least in PvP. ^-^
    Last edited by Fia; 04-26-2013 at 05:33 AM.

Ascendant

if everyone would engage in premades and play together, be it cq or wf, each wf would be fun and challenging, though i guess, coming to the forums and whining and demanding an autmated system rather then just do it yourself, is easier...

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by dday View Post
    I would argue that SL raised the skill cap significantly, which causes there to be a greater skill disparity between the average player and the good player, to the point where the good player can pretty much steamroll the average.

This was always true, but to a lesser extent due to how much more effective macros were in the past, and how fewer abilities were available.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast