+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 60
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Will Rogues Ever Be Viable in Melee?

  1. #1
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,460

    Default Will Rogues Ever Be Viable in Melee?

    Newsflash: If you still play NB/RS, you are bad. The spec majorly blows in everything except dueling (and it's not even great there). We can thank 2 years of endless forum QQ for that. I used to be all about NB/RS back in the day, when it was actually good. Now it sucks and I laugh when I see rogues play it. It was OP at one time, but the nerfing has went way too far.

    Newsflash #2: If you play assassin, you are bad. The spec sucks because it has zero survivability. It is only good for duels (and sucks against pretty much everything but RB). Even slip away doesn't do anything anymore (thanks to 2 years of endless QQ about it).

    Newsflash #3: If you play bladedancer, you are either bad or your name is Dakotta. Let's face it, the spec sucks for PvP. You just get kited around like a klown and destroyed. BD's damage is only good for about 15 seconds every 2 minutes. Sorry, even though BD is unique and has some cool features, I'll have to pass on a CD dependent spec.

    That pretty much sums up the 3 rogue melee souls. They are all useless in PvP except for dueling. Thus, my question to Trion is, do you guys ever plan on making melee viable again? RB is the ONLY viable melee soul in Rift, and without shock pulse, I am not so sure it would be viable.

    I see several rogues whom I know are kick *** in duels get eaten alive in WF's with their melee specs. Melee just isn't viable in group play. So, it's not a matter of L2P at all. Rogue melee just sucks. Bottom line.

    I am just so bored with MM or Ranger. Yawn. BTW, 61 MM isn't that great. It's actually a lot worse than both RB and pyro now (both will do more damage). It's slightly better than Inquisi (for WF's) but gets eaten alive by inquisi 1v1. And to get the most out of MM you have to hybridize it and miss out on a lot of utility. If you want eradicate, you have to sacrifice a lot of damage.

    61 Ranger does a lot of damage, but it has zero utility. Therefore, you would be foolish to use it in a premade, for instance. Outside of animalism + TS, Ranger's burst is only so-so. It's CP abilities absolutely suck. (Quick shot is garbage).

    I don't expect a response since there is no Rogue developer anymore. But I think I am retiring my rogue after this weekend. Rogues are gimp and really quite boring to play. The question I have is should I level a warrior or a mage?

  2. #2
    Ascendant spaceboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,760

    Default

    wyx said nb/rs is best.

  3. #3
    Ascendant Pork Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    And everyone knows it's impossible to play NB without the RS.

    A well played assassin is a serious threat to a healer. I'd rather have a MM attacking me than a sin.

  4. #4
    Mei
    Mei is offline
    Ascendant Mei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,294

    Default

    Warrior if you like destroying everything and everyone with little to no effort, mage if you actually wa--oh wait, you don't have to try at all on a mage anymore, either.
    Fluent

  5. #5
    General of Telara spowers454's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Bad rogues will be bad? Just because you can't play melee doesn't mean the soul is bad. It means you have a bad spec or just have no idea what to do in melee. Going off that I'd would say roll a mage. Having a warrior won't magicly make you awesome in melee range.

  6. #6
    Rift Chaser Avind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    343

    Default

    What about 61NB?


    Jiva@Faeblight
    <is Defenseless>

  7. #7
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AceinHole View Post
    Newsflash: If you still play NB/RS, you are bad. The spec majorly blows in everything except dueling (and it's not even great there). We can thank 2 years of endless forum QQ for that. I used to be all about NB/RS back in the day, when it was actually good. Now it sucks and I laugh when I see rogues play it. It was OP at one time, but the nerfing has went way too far.

    Newsflash #2: If you play assassin, you are bad. The spec sucks because it has zero survivability. It is only good for duels (and sucks against pretty much everything but RB). Even slip away doesn't do anything anymore (thanks to 2 years of endless QQ about it).

    Newsflash #3: If you play bladedancer, you are either bad or your name is Dakotta. Let's face it, the spec sucks for PvP. You just get kited around like a klown and destroyed. BD's damage is only good for about 15 seconds every 2 minutes. Sorry, even though BD is unique and has some cool features, I'll have to pass on a CD dependent spec.

    That pretty much sums up the 3 rogue melee souls. They are all useless in PvP except for dueling. Thus, my question to Trion is, do you guys ever plan on making melee viable again? RB is the ONLY viable melee soul in Rift, and without shock pulse, I am not so sure it would be viable.

    I see several rogues whom I know are kick *** in duels get eaten alive in WF's with their melee specs. Melee just isn't viable in group play. So, it's not a matter of L2P at all. Rogue melee just sucks. Bottom line.

    I am just so bored with MM or Ranger. Yawn. BTW, 61 MM isn't that great. It's actually a lot worse than both RB and pyro now (both will do more damage). It's slightly better than Inquisi (for WF's) but gets eaten alive by inquisi 1v1. And to get the most out of MM you have to hybridize it and miss out on a lot of utility. If you want eradicate, you have to sacrifice a lot of damage.

    61 Ranger does a lot of damage, but it has zero utility. Therefore, you would be foolish to use it in a premade, for instance. Outside of animalism + TS, Ranger's burst is only so-so. It's CP abilities absolutely suck. (Quick shot is garbage).

    I don't expect a response since there is no Rogue developer anymore. But I think I am retiring my rogue after this weekend. Rogues are gimp and really quite boring to play. The question I have is should I level a warrior or a mage?
    Either one you pick will probably be nerfed by the time you get to 60 and you'll switch back to rogue because it will be on top again. But if I had to go with one mage seems to have the most variety and seems like the most fun. But if you're simply looking for OP, try get in on RB before they swing the nerf bat.
    EvanX / Nihilist / Insurgent

  8. #8
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spowers454 View Post
    Bad rogues will be bad? Just because you can't play melee doesn't mean the soul is bad. It means you have a bad spec or just have no idea what to do in melee. Going off that I'd would say roll a mage. Having a warrior won't magicly make you awesome in melee range.
    Lolz. I spent a year pretty much owning in melee. Don't hand me that "L2P" nonsense. What I said is true, rogue melee sucks or is very niche and circumstantial. BTW, I don't even know who you are, which means you are bad.

    Jiva:

    61 NB is garbage. Suffers the same problem assassin does (survival), not to mention it hits like a wet noodle. If you're going for glass canon, 61 sin is MUCH better than 61 NB.
    Last edited by AceinHole; 04-25-2013 at 12:12 PM.

  9. #9
    Ascendant Pork Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    Translation: OP was good before NB/RS got nerfed.

  10. #10
    Mei
    Mei is offline
    Ascendant Mei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pork Star View Post
    Translation: OP was good before NB/RS got nerfed.
    OP was, is, and always will be better than you are at anything you play.
    Fluent

  11. #11
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pork Star View Post
    Translation: OP was good before NB/RS got nerfed.
    Nah, I can still do well in assassin. I can still puff off 25-30 KB's in a Karthan with it. Problem is, I will die 4 or 5 times. It has no survival at all. You are dead in 2 GCD's.

    RB's, on the other hand, can routinely pull off 50+ KB's and top damage in Karthan. Assassin's overall damage is nowhere near RB (mostly because of RB's AoE).

  12. #12
    Ascendant dday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AceinHole View Post
    Nah, I can still do well in assassin. I can still puff off 25-30 KB's in a Karthan with it. Problem is, I will die 4 or 5 times. It has no survival at all. You are dead in 2 GCD's.

    RB's, on the other hand, can routinely pull off 50+ KB's and top damage in Karthan. Assassin's overall damage is nowhere near RB (mostly because of RB's AoE).
    agreed but u can solo play a lot better with sin. rb not so much. all melee is squishy because range damage is so high across the board.

  13. #13
    Ascendant Pork Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mei View Post
    OP was, is, and always will be better than you are at anything you play.
    Sir. I am insult. How do you dare.

    Every pure DPS build can go down in 2-3 GCDs. If that's the problem that he's having, he should be complaining about TTK rather than rogue melee.
    Last edited by Pork Star; 04-25-2013 at 12:25 PM.

  14. #14
    Ascendant lol r u mad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,867

    Default

    Signed for increased viability of different specs other than MM. I would love for assassins to actually be a threat again, that is one archetype that is sorely missed in this game

    http://www.twitch.tv/Screamoaktown - Live streaming 5v5's
    Skreamo@Greybriar
    <Wasted Talent>

  15. #15
    General of Telara spowers454's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    913

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AceinHole View Post
    Lolz. I spent a year pretty much owning in melee. Don't hand me that "L2P" nonsense. What I said is true, rogue melee sucks or is very niche and circumstantial.
    All specs are circumstantial. Rogue have the visitility to run a spec to fill in the gaps that you team is lacking in. Short on healing you bard, short on aoe you Sab or tact, it the team needs range dps or utility you go ranger or mm and if they are short on warriors you melee .

    Most of the rogue melee pvp builds I've seen are out dated and pretty lol. All the same a sin stun locking and melting a healer can change the game quick. While I hate BD I have still seen a few people using it with a decent amount of success. And the NB hybrids, you say dead I say respeced. It still tops damage charts and KB's as well. All that RS nerf in pvp did was change how its played a little and make.it so baddies could ignore everything they were doing wrong and live through it. The new flavor of the month seems to be a sin/rs hybrid that shocked me with how much survivability it had and still did great st damage. The specs and play style may have changed but melee pvp rogue is still viable.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts