+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Aerelith
  • 1 Post By Aerelith

Thread: Dynamic PvP Skirmishes - Dimensions

Default Dynamic PvP Skirmishes - Dimensions

In the thread of when will we get another warfront, someone hit on a brilliant idea.

Why not allow players to build Arena dimensions and facilitate organized matches?

A dynamic player driven content system for PvP.

Furthermore, waypoint items could be crafted for sourcestones/command points/etc allowing players to place PvP objectives into thier own maps, as well as spawn in zones for teams.

No rewards offered other than PvP xp and favor for player kills.

It wouldnt be hard to leverage the tools aleady in the game to allow the PvP community to make their own content.

You could even sell the existing PvP arena landscapes as dimension keys.

What do you all think?

No rewards.
    Unless we want 10minute warfont ques.
    But this idea ultimately has been brought up before, i do not object to it in any way other than that given the amount of effort developers have put into our PvP gameplay, small scale PvP would be implemented in a much simpler manner, such as group duels or private warfonts. Not saying the your idea isnt possible. Just an unlikely leap on Trions part.
    Last edited by Serjackums; 04-18-2013 at 05:53 PM.
    Serjackums
    Tis folly.
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiterjijny View Post
    this is work of terrible Trion

It would be nice if instead of simply getting dimension duels we got something more feature oriented. Rewardless wfs I like. But even dimension duels, it would be nice to get simple things like scoreboards or other simple features. I just hope they don't say, okay, a group can issue a group a challenge in dimensions now then have it be some area restricted, 1 kill you're out, boring thing - and call it done.

^^^ think that is what Dag (iirc) meant about concerns of delivering things at a respectable level of quality. Perhaps they don't have the time atm to do it in such a way that would meet that
    Last edited by Violacea; 04-18-2013 at 05:56 PM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Player kills should still give favor/prestige just like they would in open world.

What I was thinking was that arena games with a successful PvP element and community often come with a toolset to build content.

Take a game like Team Fortress. You can build an arena, place a few waypoints and set their properties and suddenly you have a fully functional PvP game. The beauty is the player base invents creative ways to use the tools provided to make limitless gameplay concepts - and in the toolset it really is just a few items dropped into the terrain that define the whole thing.

Suddenly the players take something that developers only see as tools for capture the flag and creatively turn it into base defense, soccer, murderball, and more.

All the tools are pretty much in place to do this with only a few minor changes, then a queuing system would be needed to initiate the matches.

Creative content would rise to the top and inspire ideas for official warfronts - things that are actually fun. Your player community becomes your R&D and test.

Come on Trion... its right in front of you... just do it!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Aerelith View Post
    In the thread of when will we get another warfront, someone hit on a brilliant idea.

Why not allow players to build Arena dimensions and facilitate organized matches?
    It was me who said that in another thread, but I am not the first to "think" of the idea. There are already a number of people who have not only suggested the idea but have already MADE the actual PvP dimensions.

I think it's a cool idea and could give Rift something that no other MMO (that I am aware of) has -- player created PvP content. Players could make their own obstacles, PvP objectives, etc. Or if you don't want objectives, you can simply make a death-match arena.

However, don't get your hopes up. Trion has already said "it wont happen." Really, I can't blame them. Why waste dev time on something that won't make the carebear baddies happy? And 90% of Rift consists of carebear baddies. So, Trion is only protecting it's bottom line. I don't blame them from a business perspective, but it sucks for those of us who don't care about killing scripted bosses.

One of these days, a real MMO PvP game will come out. Once it does, I know I am outta here and pretty sure 99% of the remaining PvP playerbase will say adios as well. Elder Scrolls Online seems like it has potential. However, I am hesitant to get my hopes up since SWTOR and GW2 were such flops.

I didn't make this thread to accuse Trion of pandering to the 80%, nor to trash talk them as people who can't play the game. They pay their monthly fee just like we do, and they can get whatever satisfaction out of this game they choose. I also don't expect or demand results. I just want to put something out there for developers to maybe consider - and if enough people get behind it then they might pay some attention to it.

Now, I am aware that people have made dimensions into dueling arenas. These arenas however only really work for PvP duels and there are no "objectives" or scoring systems.

What I am talking about is the ability to actually place PvP objectives - just like the ones in place in existing warfronts - into dimensions. With a few simple properties added to the items, they could define how high the score goes (500 points? 1000 points? 3 points? 10 points?), what kinds of actions can manipulate points (player deaths, flag holding, flag capturing, holding command points) and how many points these actions manipulate the score by.

Example game definition process:

Drop a "game" dimension item in and define it goes to 100 points - 5 players per team - timer 15 minutes. Drop a spawn point for red and blue. Drop a capture point for team red, and a capture point for team blue. Define that these capture points score when a player holding a source stone runs over them, and gives your team 20 points. Maybe holding the source stone grants a buff 5% damage buff. Capping destroys the stone. Drop a spawn point for a source stone into the dimension with a 30 second delay to drop a new stone. Subtract 1 point from your team score for every player death on your team.

Now we have a game system where the more players die on both sides of the game, the longer the game goes. Evenly matched teams have a longer go at it, and one sided matches are even more dramatically pronounced. Maybe your team never gets the stone, but you can defend and destroy the other team so it negates their caps. Lots of weird permutations, but survival of the whole team becomes important... no longer does pocket healing one or two people a win makes.

How about this game definition:

Create a maze/arena with multiple paths between, low ground to high ground. Game item - 10 players per team - 15 minutes - score 1. Place spawn points at each end of the maze. Place a sourcestone spawn point at the lower spawn point and a capture point at the high one. If the stone caps, +1 point to offense team. If stone returned to spawn, +1 to defending team.

Now you have a VIP type match. Protect your VIP (sourcestone holder) as he runs to the escape point.

It would not take much to implement limitless opportunities for the players to make mini-games that change the subtleties of PvP - and empower the player base to innovate on your behalf.

And this would not take much development work - they just build a framework and leave the time consuming details to the players.

I think it's a great idea. I really hope they expand on dimensions greatly, perhaps even lettings us do "for fun"-dungeons. Buy bosses from a vendor! :P Name it yourself. Maybe put in your own quests... and even voice acting! :P

Anyways. Trion, please give us more player content creation tools. Might reduce the "I'm bored, plox trionz gief more contents!???" feeling by 67 %. Long term, Trion! LONG TERM!

+ Reply to Thread