+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: PvP Gearing Dynamics Changed Forever After SL Release?

Ascendant

Default PvP Gearing Dynamics Changed Forever After SL Release?

Was thinking about this the other day after reading something in a CQ thread...

Before SL (till 1.8) favor was the currency that everyone was after and it was the governing factor in gear progression. Prestige was generated at a rate where items were unlocked around the time that the previous tier was ready to be upgraded. Warfronts were the best way to gather what was needed and skill played a big part in the speed in which one geared up.

Now: Depending on which random warfront is won (if it contributes to the weekly), a minimum of 9 and maximum of 16 warfront wins are all that is needed per week due to warfront rewards being gated. CQ rewards are not gated and can be grinded out endlessly with the only limiting factor being the hour long interval between matches. In terms of progression there has been an enormous shift towards CQ, a place where skill is not really a factor.

I have a few other gripes with how CQ has changed things:
    Prestige is stupidly easy to get and getting to max rank is not much of a challenge any more
    Favor is practically useless
    CQ marks feel like 'the' currency for PvP (the currency which is the limiting factor in player's progression)
    CQ is the fastest way to get PA xp
    24 of the 64 Warlord marks available each week also come from CQ

Basically, my point is that in order to get to be fully PvP geared, a player must spend the majority of their time playing CQ. It wasn't so bad in CQ before SL, but with the current cost of CQ items (an ungated currency) and with warfront currency being gated, the gearing dynamic has changed dramatically.

Was this change intended by Trion's dev team?
    I personally don't like it, how do you guys feel?

Ascendant

The Conquest supporters definitely won the argument. Grats.
    Last edited by Tookmyjob; 04-08-2013 at 02:19 PM.

Of course it was intentional.

Prophet of Telara

Don't like it, but I'm going with intentional to make people sub longer to get all of the gear to be competitive. Annoying because they should be going the other way; Making PvP more skill oriented than gear oriented. When the only PvP content we've gotten lately is the CQ zergfest though, what do you expect.
    Last edited by Calo; 04-08-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Its all about the rank marks. Favor is nothing. Whether your doing just warfronts or CQ you will never have enough marks to keep uo with favor. Hence the multiple stacks of pvp consumables I guess thats ok with me but I wish they would add more stuff to spend our favor on tho. Prestige doesnt matter so much if you think about the teir system. Yea you get more in CQ, but thats because more people are in there. I like that it helps people rank up faster and speeds up the process of them getting through the tiers of gear since the only way to get more marks is to hit 70 then 80. It does take for ever to get all the gear. I been going hard at it for awhile and still dont have everything. A slight increase or maybe more weeklies would certainly help out alot.

I really wish they would add some pvp relics with some really cool pvp oriented procs or effects.
    Landslide - Greybriar. ( Vendetta )
    (\_xxLand_/)
    RIP RatedX. >.<!

Ascendant

Intentionally propping up a fail game mode.

Xeno's Two cents:

1) I dont like it.

2) See number 1.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

I miss being able to tell if a player knew their class and how to gear by looking at their sigil.

I wish they had skanky outfits for female dwarves I could spend my favor on.
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

I hated CQ.

I can easily assume many of you have seen me in warfronts, im NOT shy about queing. but I looked over and people I had never heard of before not seen were rank 80 and still had time to pve, while I did warfronts with 90% of my playtime and was only a freelancer.
    aqua convinced the error of my ways, and now I am warlord.

CAN you level to warlord with normal battle grounds? yes
    is CQ faster? yes
    How much do you HATE BISHOPX?
    Warrior video (july)
    Newest shaman PvP video
    Enjoy the GREATEST HITS

Quote Originally Posted by Misun View Post
    I wish they had skanky outfits for female dwarves I could spend my favor on.
    fix your face first. There's enough room to open ghunt in between your eyes.

Rift joke!

but the pvp sucks.

Ascendant

Back when CQ was really bad, though maybe not as polarising as it is now, they decided to make it so players needed to spend 80% (completely made up, but possibly accurate figure) of their pvp time in CQ.

WOW.

A good game mode does not need to have its developers force its players into it, they go there by choice.
    Sort of reminds me of a kid in primary school: He said that we all had to go to his birthday party if we wanted to stay his friend. No one went.

If this was the FPS genre where carrots are not an object and pure gameplay is the focus, CQ would have died a natural death long ago. Carrots screw up MMO's because you can't tell if people are playing a game for rewards or because they actually purely enjoy that avenue.

No but really, it's not only CQ this would happen to. Port Scion would have died a natural death too. Gotta do those weeklies though! It's simple when there is no carrot. If its no good, you trash it. They invest so much into the systems and schemes in this game that if it fails you just have to deal with fail. Because removing it uproots an entire progression path.

Everyone always likes something but I've made this comparison many times. All FPS games had maps that cleared servers when they hit and always got voted off. CQ, Port Scion etc, would be MMO examples of server clearing maps. That bullcrap should have died natural deaths but, I'm just cranky now. This isn't anything we can change, this is the definition of MMO's. If you don't enjoy the game to the fullest extent you either deal with knowing you are not raising your toons potency to an optimal level - which can make the content you do enjoy, less enjoyabl - or participate in content you don't enjoy.

Maybe we're all just insane.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Ascendant

Go unhapy, or go home!

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    If this was the FPS genre where carrots are not an object and pure gameplay is the focus, CQ would have died a natural death long ago. Carrots screw up MMO's because you can't tell if people are playing a game for rewards or because they actually purely enjoy that avenue.

No but really, it's not only CQ this would happen to. Port Scion would have died a natural death too. Gotta do those weeklies though! It's simple when there is no carrot. If its no good, you trash it. They invest so much into the systems and schemes in this game that if it fails you just have to deal with fail. Because removing it uproots an entire progression path.

Everyone always likes something but I've made this comparison many times. All FPS games had maps that cleared servers when they hit and always got voted off. CQ, Port Scion etc, would be MMO examples of server clearing maps. That bullcrap should have died natural deaths but, I'm just cranky now. This isn't anything we can change, this is the definition of MMO's. If you don't enjoy the game to the fullest extent you either deal with knowing you are not raising your toons potency to an optimal level - which can make the content you do enjoy, less enjoyabl - or participate in content you don't enjoy.

Maybe we're all just insane.

I have never seen it done on the same scale that they have done with CQ though. Absolutely terrible. So CQ appeared in 1.8 or whatever with a few BiS items then SL is released and CQ has a **** load of BiS items and they gate the progression from Warfronts. Pathetic.

Edit: Oops, I forgot to say that they also increased the cost of these items dramatically and removed the world pvp items.
    Last edited by Tookmyjob; 04-08-2013 at 03:33 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast