+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: [video] - Archon - 68 - 80 Ranked

Default [video] - Archon - 68 - 80 Ranked

Finally got into a ranked match: 68-80. Archon sexiness that finally shows some of the real burst potential that Archon has. With the damage resistance built in, this spec can sit on the front lines surrounded by enemies and drop bombs on the healers.

Gear wise I am mostly in freelancers but I have Warlord boots and rings, and a set of blue lessers.

Enjoy. This video defines the 51 Archon/21 Pyro/4 Dom pvp spec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FphYV6PpdDQ

Rift Disciple

I'll give this spec a try. I'm not completely sold on it however, the mitigation on paper is good and you showed some front lining in your vid but I've seen much better focus fire from the opposing team than that. (I think you had a RB and MM on you?) How do you fare with a melee DPS on your tail for most of a match or being chain purged by a MM?

Damage wise the hits themselves are bursty, but the overall DPS is meh, may be able to catch a healer off guard or put them into panic mode due to the big incoming numbers.

With that said, I believe Illuminate is a death sentence to anyone being moderately focused down. The spec also provides great buffs to the entire team that itself makes it a good group spec.

As a side, I don't think I saw you utilize your charge for Flaring or even IC or Power Drain.
    Last edited by Wolfman2k11; 04-06-2013 at 12:42 PM.

What tends to happen is someone takes a couple shots at me and decides that they should attack someone else when they see such low numbers. Its like when people decide to avoid hitting a tank. You never really build up a team that focusses you because of that.

You're right though... I never blew my charge, Flaring or Power Drain - and I never dropped lava field. I am not sure I ever used my Burning Shield either. I left a lot off the table - without a doubt - but the numbers there were real in a warfront full of geared players.

If you're going to try it, make sure you have the Archon crystal. An extra 320 spell power is part of what makes this build special.

It always seemed to me that the ranked warfronts always had the biggest disparities between the two sides. One side always seem to vastly out-skill the other.

I guess because time played does not equal skill.

Plane Touched

(OP : don't forget to use your charge!)

Personnaly I find that it is one of the strongest and usefull spec available for mages when dpsing an no AOE involved. The ST damage is good, not the best, but if one actually calculates the contribution of your buff and debuff %, then the "equivalent damage" is amazing.
    Salace R80 Elzareth R59 Melgria R70+ Gremia L48 EU

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post
    It always seemed to me that the ranked warfronts always had the biggest disparities between the two sides. One side always seem to vastly out-skill the other.

I guess because time played does not equal skill.
    Yeah I was in that match on the opposing team. Our team was terrible and I was telling them in raid chat the entire match. No heals for one.

The spec seems sorta durable but the damage is mehh. i prefer the utility/damage 61 pyro has with its cc interrupts etc. Well timed pyro burst can be devastating now

Rift Disciple

Farming IS for it... them as we speak. Yep those guys should definitely be geared, but they also let you get of a full 6 second channel of Patron's Rage too. I just need to know and get a feel for how the spec will perform under pressure.

I agree with Kronor this spec will be most compared to Pyro. Pyro has it beat in DPS/Burst so it will need to have the Mitigation, Support(obviously it does) and decent enough damage to be a good alternative.
    Last edited by Wolfman2k11; 04-06-2013 at 01:17 PM.

Rift Disciple

Harb is still hands down the best mage PVP DPS soul. DPS (sustained and burst if timed correctly), practical stuns and interrupts, mitigation/Self heals, mobility and most of all no cast times. The only downside is it's melee and that tends to turn people off.

Also edit timer is way too short...

Rift Disciple

So I tried out this spec a bit today and it's an amazing team spec. The DPS is average to above average but will look lower due to debuffing targets first. It can do some front lining when moderately pocket healed, due to the built in mitigation (I pug so I hardly have a dedicated healer). The flipside however is if you venture out alone, you'll basically be caught with your pants down against anyone that knows what they are doing. Other specs will have ways to prevent damage and/or gain on GCDs used, while this specs defense is just its raw mitigation. Its wisest to try to escape (Thunderblast, Flicker, Flowing Sands) and make it back to you're team rather than engage.

It's a caster spec so it gives the relative safety of range when needed and by the same token it will be destroyed by Marksmen as most casters (most classes?) are. Melee will run in, out, around and through you when they close in. You will slowly lose GCDs if you chose to turret them and pretty much all your damage if you choose to kite. The situation will determine the best route to take. Purging isn't too much of an issue Searing is a good cover and with the multitude of other buffs I dunno if people will try to chain purge. You will lose some stuff occasionally and there are a lot of buffs to watch for so be mindful.Cast times will leave you highly vulnerable to interrupts and silences. proc'd from interrupts.

Support-wise, your team should love you even if they don't realize it. The auras, the buffs, the debuffs, Illuminate, Lava Field, Flaring Power all that archon good stuff. Spammable AoE cleanse will make Doms look like fools. Spammable AoE purge is also good especially in stalemates to give your team the upper-hand. Lingering Dust will slow caster DPS down and either slow or force a GCD for a cleanse on healers but its spammable so you can just keep reapplying it till they slip up.

I may have missed some other little things that the spec brings to the table, but long story short, its a good team spec (no warfront hero here!). It has a plethora of supportive abilities, good mitigation, and good enough damage to not have to completely rely on non derp DPS to get kills on the board. It is a heavy caster spec and with that comes the strengths and weakness that so many choose to ignore ("omg range is so OP"). It's a good alternative to Pyro for anyone looking for a ranged PVP mage spec but bear in mind some of the strengths (buffs and debuffs) are nullified with more than one of this spec on a team.

Thanks for taking the time to try it out. That's an honest write up.

But I'm curious if you have the same experience I do because you mentioned trying to turret or run from melee. I find that I just need to eat the damage and keep bombing at the ranged. After 4 or 5 hits the melee and not making any real progress, the melee just "moves on".

Was that happening for you as well?

Thank you for posting this, I enjoyed it and have been seriously waiting for someone to make an archon pvp video. nice work!

Lithmygoober@deepwood
    Lithmygoo@deepwood

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman2k11 View Post
    Harb is still hands down the best mage PVP DPS soul. DPS (sustained and burst if timed correctly), practical stuns and interrupts, mitigation/Self heals, mobility and most of all no cast times. The only downside is it's melee and that tends to turn people off.

Also edit timer is way too short...
    i'm sorry but no. if you think harb has better burst than pyro, you're playing pyro wrong.

Nice video. The DPS was okay, but I believe your spec could push more DPS under different circumstances and cool down usage. That being said your spec is so much more valuable than DPS by what you are adding to your team, which by extension makes your spec good if not OP for the buffs and utilities that it adds.
    If you are about the win and not leader board numbers this spec is a win and would take it on my team all day in a WF. You had great awareness and moving around the WF as well thank you for the great video.

P.S. Did you ever play a warrior called Doomagedon? If so this was the stupid rogue you ran with Albealri until I wised up and rolled cleric.
    Last edited by Abealri; 04-08-2013 at 05:29 AM.
    Abadfish@Deepwood <Philanthropy> 4/4TDQ 3/4 FT 2/5 EE Cleric DPS 61 Inquisitor 15 Defiler 0 Justicar
    Blame me it is always my fault, I don't know how but I am sure it is just the same.
    Check out my Twitch TV page, I will be streaming when ever I am logged in. www.twitch.tv/abealri

Not related to Doomagedon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast