Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Possible guild transfer to Rift.

Default Possible guild transfer to Rift.

Hey everyone! I have had a look around the forums and have seen a lot of positive and negative things being said and Im on the wall as to bring my guild to Rift. We are currently 40 active members and have become very close. We are looking to sub to rift (or for some of us resub) and was wondering what kind of things are being offered for competitive players? We would be coming from WoW with a strict pvp backround, we aren't looking for a WoW type game just one with somthing other then BGs to flex our in game epeens from time to time. we are however more casual the your average wow fan boys.

Im a bit behind and haven't played rift in ages.

this would cost our guild some serious bucks so your feedback is really important!
    FINALLY TRION CAME THROUGH FOR US!!!!!!

If your guild is looking for "open world" combat that is Wintergrasp-ish (without the clumsy vehicles) Rift CQ is in a great spot right now. If you're looking for ranked battlegrounds or arena combat, look elsewhere.

The good news is the PvP gear is normalized to a great extent, so people fresh to level 60 are adjusted to ~85-90% effectiveness of a full rank 80 warlord.

Our PvE content is reaching the end of its life cycle, so quite a few people are PvPing and playing alts. I had no trouble at all getting instant warfront queues while leveling from 50 to 60 on my alt.

The two faction combat has been blurred (basically erased) in favor of faster queue times and greater accessibility, so the lone remaining PvP server (Seastone) isn't all that popular as it has nothing special to offer beyond zone events turning into a giant scrum.
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

Before you leave wow for RIFT, be warned, there is no Elo ladder system for pvp in this game, we have a 3 faction instanced large scale pvp content known as conquest, our warfronts aka battlegrounds are similar to wow, they have objectives and also are non ranked. If you're looking to flex your epeen in this game, it's done via player organized 5v5 in dimensions or warfronts. There is no in game tracker for your statistics or ranked number to show your performance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Quote Originally Posted by merkiba View Post
    Hey everyone! I have had a look around the forums and have seen a lot of positive and negative things being said and Im on the wall as to bring my guild to Rift. We are currently 40 active members and have become very close. We are looking to sub to rift (or for some of us resub) and was wondering what kind of things are being offered for competitive players? We would be coming from WoW with a strict pvp backround, we aren't looking for a WoW type game just one with somthing other then BGs to flex our in game epeens from time to time. we are however more casual the your average wow fan boys.

this would cost our guild some serious bucks so your feedback is really important!
    Just curious why the whole guild wants to leave WoW? If, you guys are looking for arena style play. There is a leader board, but arena or rated BGs. The organized PvP is what the community does, and some in the community have done so. The soul system is great and they have not had to start pieginholing (how many and where points are spent, before you can branch), like WoW started doing when I left 2 years ago. Depends on what is more important to you guys.
    "There are other aspects of the game that we want you to engage in."

~Daglar

Plane Touched

If you are returning to Rift, it's probably just the way you remember it.
    There is not a great balance between specs/classes. Some class devs seem to be asleep at the wheel, or just have no clue what PVP is about. Some souls are so far and above others, that there is no real choice what to spec by class.
    CQ is similar to WvWvW in GW2, just at a much smaller scale.
    Warfronts are still warfronts, roll premades, or be at the mercy of random grouping which varies by time of day as wether you will have competent teams primarily on Guard or on Defiant.
    Still a fun game, but I would not come back just for PVP....event though I did just for a break from other games.

Edit: Also CQ lag in large scale battles (3 zergs) is very lagtastic, showing that the game engine itself is not up for the task. Still playable, but not anything I would ever speak well of.
    Last edited by Ploter; 04-03-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lords0fpain View Post
    Just curious why the whole guild wants to leave WoW? If, you guys are looking for arena style play. There is a leader board, but arena or rated BGs. The organized PvP is what the community does, and some in the community have done so. The soul system is great and they have not had to start pieginholing (how many and where points are spent, before you can branch), like WoW started doing when I left 2 years ago. Depends on what is more important to you guys.
    Our guild has been playing MMOs and RTS games together for the most part of 9years we have a very close nit group of irl friends. Our guild has a paypal that contributes to our less financialy stable guildmates when needed. Right now we have enough money for our players to sub to a new game paid for by the guild irl bank. Allthough we love the attention that we get and things to do in wow we are falling behind the curve from lack of motivation 7years of one MMO will do that to you as it has for a major recent out flux of wow players as well. Wow is becoming out dated. We will keep our wow subs as there is obviously no other extremely competitive arena games out there in the mmorpg world.

So far CQ sounds interesting, these player organized 5v5s are they balanced? How many people do these? This is somthing I could get my first time rifters to bite into.

obviously some people here are going to be uncomfortable with the fact that i mentioned wow just like on other forums people get upset with the name rift so that much is to be expected. but we arent going to come here without out a reason and especially not to join a community who wants to lynch us lol.

Just looking for what rift has to offer i said in the OP we dont have serious expextations just want to have some fun.
    Last edited by merkiba; 04-03-2013 at 10:58 AM.
    FINALLY TRION CAME THROUGH FOR US!!!!!!

regarding 5v5,

so far the highest number of people that participated was 20, 4 group of 5. you can see some of the videos in this thread.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...tain-5v5s.html

Default The more the merrier

Sounds like a great bunch of people. I really like the irl guild bank idea too. That is pretty awesome. I dont really know much about wow (ffxi for me!), but I think what Rift has to offer is worth checking out. Im not sure if they are currently running an Ascended Returned program for resubbers but anyone new would get a test run period i believe. They can level quickly in level capped warfronts or by doing instant adventures.

We have a couple videos up on aquabeerland.com if you want a better idea what CQ is like for those running premades.
    Landslide - Greybriar. ( Vendetta )
    (\_xxLand_/)
    RIP RatedX. >.<!

Rift can really benefit from an extra 40 players all be it would take a few months for all of you to get to end game level the good thing is with bolstering you guys wont be to far behind once you are level 60.

If I may ask, why Rift? I am an active wow player as well and have a mutual respect for both games WoW has much more engaging and skill based pvp but progression is more based off your ranking vs in rift it's time played. In Rift the macro and ability system basically plays the game for you. I would say there isn't one class that doesn't have a soul that can be played effectively against an average player using two buttons.

You wont find much skill based anything here but the pvp is very much engaging when found in a small group with competent players. CQ is fun when in a premade or a decent group, and wfs are the same as before very center of the map oriented. Not much here for solo players so if you guys play together in groups you will have the most fun

Our guild does lots of things together and have plenty of fingers in the "underground" 5v5 scene so feel free to PM me. Also its in your best interest to ignore anything gunzip says. Im pretty sure every 5 mins he searches "WoW" in the search box with a ****** to smack talk.

this game has tons of potential and could easily dump on wow and bring in a lot of wow subs if they simply implented somthing for them to do.

This game was created in wows image but only to apeal to casual players and PvE players. This company tends to have a very limited view on possibility's and is scared ****less to take risks and hurt peoples feelings. but i keep subing and keep playing because the soul system is jesus in a box man. Nothing like, it hybrids are fun.

Imagine a resto/feral or a pryo/frost mage or a holy/ret.

They have a gem here they just need to pull up the big boy pants and take some risks.
    Zoartype@Deepwood

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by merkiba View Post

Rift doesn't offer competitive pvp, if that's what you're interested in you won't find it here.
    Rift pvp is zerg vs zerg
    Warfronts are zerg vs zerg
    You can do cq which is zerg vs zerg
    Open world pvp is zerg vs zerg
    or you can do 5v5 which means pugs will just enter your warfront anyway once again making it zerg vs zerg, so if you're good with that by all means come to rift

I want cat ears for my characters.

Oh by the way this guy played as recently as last November. Don't know why he didn't mention he just wanted to know what was new since SL.
    Last edited by spaceboots; 04-03-2013 at 11:35 AM.

As you can see, somebody is not a happy kitten. Dont let the trolls turn you off. If your looking for a good time and nothing serious, Rift sounds like a great place for you.
    Landslide - Greybriar. ( Vendetta )
    (\_xxLand_/)
    RIP RatedX. >.<!

Rift Disciple

slash claims to be pvp but is on a pve server, like most who post here. I may be a pve'er, but I choose to be on a pvp server and we do have decent wpvp. If you are a coolcat, you go pve servers and then whine about pvp.

Sword of Telara

if you like a game that makes pure melee absolutely useless in pvp and all you like to play is ranged and aoe then this is the perfect game for you.

Quote Originally Posted by scott0301 View Post
    slash claims to be pvp but is on a pve server, like most who post here. I may be a pve'er, but I choose to be on a pvp server and we do have decent wpvp. If you are a coolcat, you go pve servers and then whine about pvp.
    PvP servers are good if you want to gank people, and nothing else ever.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast