+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Any point to PvP yet?

Shadowlander

Default Any point to PvP yet?

Hello everyone, I played this game in open beta and up to patch 1.6, but quit due to PvP (my main interest in online games) being seemingly pointless.

You did WFs, bought gear and...did more WFs. Is it still the same? Is there any kind of ladder system, or incentives for PvP other than gear to be better at the exact same PvP?

Just curious, because I really did enjoy this game, and I'm thinking of coming back

There is no ladder system.

Quote Originally Posted by Delmlord View Post
    Exactly why rift isn't for the competitive players, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who has fun testing their own skills and really fulfilling the potential rift has for pvp with the huge amount spec combinations and strategies the community could come up with.

Right now rift pvp is nothing but zerg after zerg where we have to go out of our way to set up simple 5 v 5's that other games promote and actually include the feature in the game.

Rift is a niche game that falls quite short of what the roleplayers/casuals want ( fun and engaging content/experiences/lore) and what the hardcore competitive players want ( a challenge ).
    I'm lazy, rift's raiding is pretty nice if your into killing dragons and stuff.

But the pvp sucks.
    Rehashed, reskinned content =/= Exciting new content
    Retired from Rift thanks to Square E getting their stuff together

Ever thought to play the game because it's fun?
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    <Celestial Might> [Retired: Hartzekarr and Greogard]
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

Quote Originally Posted by leatherneck7011 View Post
    stuff
    Any point to playing video games yet? It's kind of a waste of time

Any point to living yet? We just end up dead.

I think the point is to have fun. And, at least to me, the point of PVP is to kill people, and we can certainly kill people here.
    Infy <Transience> of Threesprings
    I PVP with 1 button.
    Potato.

World of Warcraft has a ladder system, you can give that a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartzekar View Post
    Ever thought to play the game because it's fun?
    He's wondering if Trion put in a real incentive to pvp like rankings instead of just the gear grind but that hasn't changed at all. People have fun in different ways, like how raiding guilds make progression charts because they like the progression race.

Make friends in the game, pvp together, have fun doing it.

Generally the most fun I have in any MMO is grinding ******** with guildies because of the banter and other chit chat. That goes for PvP or PvE. That's the point of the grind, to encourage social interaction. The problem with PvP though is it gets content updates so infrequently that the grind ends with no new content in site so interest decays.

The only people that want a ladder system are self centered egotistical bravados that want an in game tracker to show off to the world how good they are. This normally requires small scale pvp in a box, if you're that kind of person, the most that may materialize is in game dimension dueling. Which is fine, so long as the classes don't get balanced around that sort of content.

Class retooling for small scale pvp is the nightmare Trion is trying to avoid, and most people that actually enjoy Trions flavor and pvp Zerg style content are having a blast with premade conquest raid groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzip View Post
    The only people that want a ladder system are self centered egotistical bravados that want an in game tracker to show off to the world how good they are. This normally requires small scale pvp in a box, if you're that kind of person, the most that may materialize is in game dimension dueling. Which is fine, so long as the classes don't get balanced around that sort of content.

Class retooling for small scale pvp is the nightmare Trion is trying to avoid, and most people that actually enjoy Trions flavor and pvp Zerg style content are having a blast with premade conquest raid groups.
    you sound mad
    World first Maelforge! -World First Cyril kalmar! -World Second Murdantix! - World second Laethys!

Quote Originally Posted by Salazar666 View Post
    you sound mad
    When I resort to profanity, I'm mad, but until then, take from it what you will.

The benchwarmers and the Tempest Bay raiders shall rule the world one day.
    Adegard □ Blightweald
    Pain is temporary, pride is forever

Class retooling for small scale pvp is the nightmare Trion is trying to avoid
    This isn't WoW.

most people that actually enjoy Trions flavor and pvp Zerg style content are having a blast with premade conquest raid groups.
    So many things wrong with this sentence. The zerg style content is the reason why players took it upon themselves to get organized with premades to make pvp more competitive in conquest and with 5 v 5's in the first place.

Zerg style pvp is terrible especially without structure like siege or multiple objectives.

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say nobody wants to lose because the enemy has greater numbers for their uber massive zerg but lose because your enemy carried out a strategy, composition and skillful play to outplay you.

Quote Originally Posted by Delmlord View Post
    This isn't WoW.

So many things wrong with this sentence. The zerg style content is the reason why players took it upon themselves to get organized with premades to make pvp more competitive in conquest and with 5 v 5's in the first place.

Zerg style pvp is terrible especially without structure like siege or multiple objectives.

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say nobody wants to lose because the enemy has greater numbers for their uber massive zerg but lose because your enemy carried out a strategy, composition and skillful play to outplay you.
    Wrong again, plenty of folks enjoy the epic Zerg battles against other premade raid groups, I say again, it's fun for us. What you're advocating is only fun for a small minority. I don't see droves of people flocking to do 5v5. But what I do see is a great deal of folks making multiple raid groups for conquest.

I can see that Gunzip is going to be the unpopular kid in this thread today, but I agree with him mostly

I personally love the PVP in rift more or less just the way it is (i with the balancing was just a bit better). I think the zerg style PVP we have in CQ has it's place and is alot of fun, and I think some of the warfronts in RIFT are designed to be a really great time.

The reward I get from PVPing is fun

I also personally hope that rift doesn't cater to the arena crowd...and by saying that I may as well kiss any friends I had in the forum goodbye but I still believe the arena/ladder thing appeals to an EXTREMELY small group of people, albeit the most vocal people

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast