Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Multiboxing in PvP

Soulwalker

Default Multiboxing in PvP

First off, I'd like to say that I don't give a **** and a half about whether or not people multibox in PvE. PvE is not a competitive environment, so you're not stepping on anyone else's toes. To each his/her own, if you enjoy soloing, then boxing can be a viable way of soloing content that would otherwise be impossible (I do have to question why you're playing an MMO in the first place, but that's irrelevant).

I don't see any possible justification whatsoever for multiboxing in pvp. All that it does is give baddies an ego boost by allowing them run around and 1-shot people.

I understand that it's not game-breaking in a team/zerg scenario.

It's certainly true the people that I've encountered who do it are absolutely horrible players that can't compete otherwise.

It is also true that if the multiboxer is horribad, it's relatively easy to "cut off the head" and make the remaining characters pretty useless,

What I also know is that all of the above counterpoints are completely irrelevant. Multiboxing in PvP is an exploit, plain and simple. If I found an exploit that allowed a single character to do quintuple damage I'd be instabanned (and rightly so). With the fact that one uses five characters instead of one excepted, this is EXACTLY what a multiboxer does.

I don't see how Trion can justify allowing this. If people who can actually play start multiboxing, it will be absolutely impossible to compete as a single player.

inb4 Trion loves profits, I know that this is the most likely explanation, but I want to hear this from an actual Trion rep. If they're just a bunch of money-grubbing ******, at least they can be honest about it.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Gooby Pls View Post
    I don't see how Trion can justify allowing this. If people who can actually play start multiboxing, it will be absolutely impossible to compete as a single player.

inb4 Trion loves profits, I know that this is the most likely explanation, but I want to hear this from an actual Trion rep. If they're just a bunch of money-grubbing ******, at least they can be honest about it.
    This pretty much. The multi-boxer's money is just as green as ours. Trion allows it because instead of $15 per month, they pay $75 a month. It's basically a pay to win mechanic. Trion would consider it an exploit if they weren't making extra $$$ off it.

But, as you said, the multi-boxers I have run across (specifically that rogue on Seastone as well as that Cleric) are terribad players who need a crutch. I mean when you multi-box you are essentially broadcasting to the world "Hey, I am terrible which is why I need 5 toons."

And, yeah, I agree, a multi-boxing account in the hands of one of the good players (only about a dozen good players in Rift) would be scary and game-breaking.
    Last edited by AceinHole; 03-27-2013 at 06:17 AM.

I love multiboxers in PVP. It's hilarious to kill one or two of a 5 pack and watch their whole thing fall apart. They need to then spend the time to get their group back together or run with dwindling numbers. Everything has a weakness
    Infy <Transience> of Threesprings
    I PVP with 1 button.
    Potato.

Rift Disciple

I cant see how mutiboxing could even really help you. Unless Im missing some warfront where you can screw the other team over there really isn't much a point to doing it. Its not like in wow where a 40 man mutiboxer can sit with the end boss in av and just wipe people till the end of time. Most are rather bad in the first place, more easy kills then anything else.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kamashii View Post
    I cant see how mutiboxing could even really help you. Unless Im missing some warfront where you can screw the other team over there really isn't much a point to doing it. Its not like in wow where a 40 man mutiboxer can sit with the end boss in av and just wipe people till the end of time. Most are rather bad in the first place, more easy kills then anything else.
    A multiboxer with 5+ characters can one-shot just about anything that isn't a tank. The problem arises in PuGs when half your team quits because they keep getting one-shot. Most players aren't brilliant PvPers, and when they run into someone who just dumps on them over and over again they're more likely to quit than to try to figure out a solution.

Rift Disciple

A multiboxer with 5+ characters can one-shot just about anything that isn't a tank. The problem arises in PuGs when half your team quits because they keep getting one-shot. Most players aren't brilliant PvPers, and when they run into someone who just dumps on them over and over again they're more likely to quit than to try to figure out a solution.
    I gathered that. But its basically the same as a better team owning you over and over . Unless the mutiboxer does it right you kill the main one the others stand around and do nothing.

Though Im not even sure how common it is to see one. I personally didn't even think people made them before seeing this thread.

Champion of Telara

I hate them in PvP because the second I am forced to be in the same team with a multi-boxer, my team is gonna lose. It's now a 10v5.5 or a 15v10.5.... whatever. A multi-boxer is worth .5 players because of the amount ******** time they have to spend setting up their system and waiting for their clones to rezz.

One pull, one summon, one KB can completely blow up a multi-box setup. They are annoying because they handicap their team. There is no competitive advantage to having a focus-fire machine that can be disabled so easily.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kamashii View Post
    I gathered that. But its basically the same as a better team owning you over and over . Unless the mutiboxer does it right you kill the main one the others stand around and do nothing.

Though Im not even sure how common it is to see one. I personally didn't even think people made them before seeing this thread.
    No PuG team can coordinate bursts the way a multiboxer can, it's just not a logistical possibility. But the argument here isn't even that it's particularly imbalanced (Even though in a game like RIFT I think it is).

The reason that I've made this post is that over the weekend I'm beginning to see the practice cause a problem. Over the weekend I ran into more than a few situations where a pug just gave up against a team with a multiboxer on it. People left the game or just stopped trying because they were mad about getting stomped.

I just think that the practice is bad for the game.

Default !!!!!!!!Poor Gaming Practice!!!!!!!!!

Like many people, I just started playing after taking a 1-2 year hiatus. I am absolutely horrified at the amount of multi-boxing I see. I was hoping to play this game for the long-haul but now I am not sure. Trion has proved that they do not care about the quality of their customers' gaming experience, they only care about money. The multi-boxers ruin PvP for me and I hope that all those rich *******s die a painful fiery death.

No PuG team can coordinate bursts the way a multiboxer can, it's just not a logistical possibility. But the argument here isn't even that it's particularly imbalanced (Even though in a game like RIFT I think it is).
    Seen it plenty actually which is why you don't see more people caring other then having them having waste 5 slots on their own team.

No PuG team can coordinate bursts the way a multiboxer can, it's just not a logistical possibility.

Put a 1 on the head of only one of the multiboxers. problem solved.
    Infy <Transience> of Threesprings
    I PVP with 1 button.
    Potato.

all im hearing is that 1 person controlling 5 toons with limited and predictable movement is somehow beating a whole team of freely controlled players.

and youre calling him bad? lol

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboots View Post
    Seen it plenty actually which is why you don't see more people caring other then having them having waste 5 slots on their own team.
    I guess I should be reassured by this? Granted I recently game back from a hiatus and I'm not 60 yet, so I might just be playing with a bunch of baddies, but I've yet to see a pug coordinate bursts any more effectively than could be explained by random chance.

And like I said, it is true that the multiboxers that I've seen are terrible players, but I do feel like a good player would be frightening with 5 toons on tap.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Plexus View Post
    all im hearing is that 1 person controlling 5 toons with limited and predictable movement is somehow beating a whole team of freely controlled players.

and youre calling him bad? lol

If you read my original post, you'll see that I agree. It is easy to take out a multiboxer, but there is something about getting one-shot that apparently pushes peoples' rage buttons. I'm seeing the practice killing warfronts because people get frustrated and quit. Maybe I'm overreacting, but I'm concerned.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast