+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Valnak

Thread: Cleric PvP Healing question

Default Cleric PvP Healing question

Someone on my realm suggested Warden is the current best PvP healing spec (I am level 50 still, just came back to the game). I did a couple warfronts and hated it. So I went back to what I played back after launch, Sentinel. I did way better. Is there something I should know about Warden, or is Sentinel just badass?
    Last edited by Mustidious; 02-19-2013 at 02:10 PM.

Default Well

You are really comparing apples and oranges. As should be apparent from the abilities in the two trees, they are intended for two very different roles. Warden is an aoe soul, Sentinel is a singletarget soul. You should be proficient in the use of both in order to be the most versatile healer possible. For general pvp you will have more success as a Sentinel, as its tools are the best suited to keeping players and yourself alive. Warden is intended generally to be used in the presence of a Singletarget healer to offset the aoe damage that Sentinel is ill equipped to handle.

Also, given your level you are limited to certain options that do not allow you to hybridize well. I would attempt to shoot for one role or the other and don't try to get fancy with your spec or you will fail at both. Hybridization even at end game is a tricky proposition, and should only be attempted by the stalwart, and least prone to butthurt. Experiment at your, and your teams risk. Otherwise stick with the tried and true until you get a better idea of whats up.

Go to the Cleric forums and look for the many threads that have specs and theorycrafting about exactly this. You will find many of my specs, and commentary there.
    Last edited by Anathemus; 02-19-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    "The thousand little pieces of my life, which I have tried so hard to hold onto, are slipping through my fingers again. Each time I have to pick them back up, my hands seem a little smaller. Don't pity me, kill me. Just be gentle." -from my hour of need-

That makes sense. Thank you.

Default further and also

If you continue to have issues, and or need more info, feel free to message me personally and I will do my best to answer your questions.
    "The thousand little pieces of my life, which I have tried so hard to hold onto, are slipping through my fingers again. Each time I have to pick them back up, my hands seem a little smaller. Don't pity me, kill me. Just be gentle." -from my hour of need-

Well what you said makes perfect sense, in regards to Wardens offsetting Sentinels. Basically I need to pick one or the other. If that is the case I will pick Sentinel all day. I healed a Black Garden with a Chrolo last night, and we wouldn't die!

Here's a general guide on when to use cleric healing souls in pvp:

Defiler - Premade/Pockethealing
    Sentinel - General ST healing
    Warden - AoE healing scion/cq
    Purifier - As a supplement to the others, but some have been having good results ST healing.

If you would like a more detailed explanation why, let me know.

Default Yup

What Daddy said. I would add to that, don't even bother with defiler until you have the gear to push Explosive Growth past what you can get artificially from Crucial Invocation in the Sent. tree. Defiler hybrids are a pretty tricky animal to balance now, since they got the hell nerfed out of them. Sent has so much to offer beyond just its single target omg abilities too. The cooldowns provided in the deep part of sentinel scream pvp utility. If in doubt, use sentinel.

I find that 61 sentinel is my absolute favorite in which I can best survive and save others. In maps that are spread out or when I want to go for objectives, sentinel has always done me well. Using Healer's Haste and macros/mouseovers that I'm always optimizing, I'm still more comfortable with sentinel even in places where people usually do warden. I have 3 different sent-heavy pvp healing specs, adding a combo of warden, puri, or defiler. My 4th pvp healing soul is a 61 warden.

Usually in conquest there are a ton of wardens, chloros, bards so I get to play my favorite sentinel spec. If I'm feeling lazy, laggy, or there's not enough aoe heals, I'll go warden and it will be like a refreshing vacation. I did have a kickass puri spec for awhile for conquest only, but it got fixed, /cry. I am experimenting more with defiler, but it's hard to leave my sentinel with all its awesome cooldowns.

In the start of Port Scion, I might load up my warden as well, apologizing to the people I play with that it will only be temporary. But first I'll look at my team, and if there are enough aoe heals, I'll stick with sentinel. That all being said, I love seeing aoe healers on my team!
    Pandia | Pandita | Kochochan | Tiamo
    <Natural Born Killers> and <-Every Time-> @Deepwood
    Stream on Twitch

the best healing spec is obviously the bubble boy spec, and the only thing that can kill a bubble boy is a diamondboy

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ing-build.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mire View Post
    the best healing spec is obviously the bubble boy spec, and the only thing that can kill a bubble boy is a diamondboy

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...ing-build.html
    That spec depends on other healers. So i wouldnt call that the best anything.

Just my opinion though.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Mustidious View Post
    Someone on my realm suggested Warden is the current best PvP healing spec (I am level 50 still, just came back to the game). I did a couple warfronts and hated it. So I went back to what I played back after launch, Sentinel. I did way better. Is there something I should know about Warden, or is Sentinel just badass?
    You are in the PVP section so the answer is go Sent for pvp. My cleric is 50, and I'm sent for a reason. Sent are also probably the #1 outlier for healing pvp/facetanking healers currently since they have strong ST heals for their team and themselves with good survival skills.

Its also fun to play Inq-at least I enjoy it if there are plenty of healers on my team.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Mustidious View Post
    Well what you said makes perfect sense, in regards to Wardens offsetting Sentinels. Basically I need to pick one or the other. If that is the case I will pick Sentinel all day. I healed a Black Garden with a Chrolo last night, and we wouldn't die!
    Thats because the opossing team was too stupid to attack the weakest player with the worst self-heals-you the chloro. Unless of course you had other heals and cross healing keeping everyone alive.

Chloro synth and/or aoe heals could use a slight nerf (I'm a chloro), but your self survival skills and heals need left alone.

If you are claiming you were solely healing your team as chloro I obviously wasn't on the opposite team because you would have done next to no heals while dying and constantly going wtf why am I being squirreled, drained of my mana as a chloro, silenced every 2 seconds, pushed, stunned, and my healing being siphoned to another person? Alternatively you could have been squirreled and pyroed to death.

Lots of healers make for a slow BG

+ Reply to Thread