+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: ST vs. AoE Heals in Warfronts

Default ST vs. AoE Heals in Warfronts

Was curious to see the communities thoughts on st vs aoe heals in warfronts. Ideally I think a raid would have both if it was organized, but for pickup groups I have noticed the following.

1. I'm usually near the top of the healing charts in aoe spec (warden).
    2. I'm a lot lower numbers wise in st spec (sent) but it seems a lot more effective in certain situations.

I have started running st heals for black garden, library, and dex depending on how the groups split up, and aoe for scion and karthan ridge. Inevitably there are some who (don't heal themselves) and pop the charts up and start whining and want to quit when they dont see top numbers on their team. A great example of this is a library match where we just won against the other team 1000/400 but had less than half the heals numbers wise of the other team. Had a troll in the raid sitting at base looking at the numbers and telling the team to give up

Thats not really the point of the thread though, it just made me wonder what other people are doing in pickup groups for heals.

It all just really depends on WHO you keep up. When I'm on my cleric (which is not very often) I feel like I am wasting my time healing all the bad dps. There are so many bad dpsers out there that it is mind-boggling. So basically what I am saying is look at the board and sort the dps, heal the people doing the damage.

Sent all the way, its the only viable way to keep people up under FF and let the chloro's do the aoe (as the vast majority of mages are chloro or dom now)

AoE heals in the current state kinda stinks, for Cleric at least. Bards and Tacticians are good for AoE, but I'd take a ST healing specced Cleric any day of the week.
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    <Celestial Might> [Retired: Hartzekarr and Greogard]
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

What Ashh said.

Don't waste your time healing nubs.
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

I agree with ST sent all the way.
    Abadfish@Deepwood <Philanthropy> 4/4TDQ 3/4 FT 2/5 EE Cleric DPS 61 Inquisitor 15 Defiler 0 Justicar
    Blame me it is always my fault, I don't know how but I am sure it is just the same.
    Check out my Twitch TV page, I will be streaming when ever I am logged in. www.twitch.tv/abealri

It depends on what you have in your group. Both types of heals are needed. If you have 15 players but only choose one or two to heal they can not take out the other group entirely. It's a team effort in Warfront.

I do about 20 to 50 Warfronts a day. I perfer Warden just because it seems to fit in most Warfronts the best. If I'm the only healer, I can heal the entire group and if there are multiple healers they usually go ST heals. I do not see very many Mages healing in Warfront.

Because of the recent Valor change, players are more sustainable with AOE heals but ST heals are still necessary for a healthy group. I would suggest having a ST heal job and an AOE heal job available and switch as the need arises.
    Genny@Greybriar

Champion of Telara

You don't pick one. You use the one that best fits the group.

If you join a match and see no healers, the one that best supports the WF is best (Sent for Codex and Karthan, Warden for BG, Scion and WFS).
    If you join a match and see a chloro or two and/or bards of any number, Sentinel will probably work best.
    If you join a match and see there is already a sentinel and/or defiler healer, Warden will better compliment them.

Be the versatile healer on the team, and your team will do better whether it's a PUG or premade.
    Last edited by Patchkid; 02-17-2013 at 10:55 AM.

I definitely have both available, and right now i run warden for the 15+ warfronts and sent for the smaller groups or when split up. I noticed a lot of people suggesting popping the charts up to see who is doing the most dps or healing based on what other roles people are running.

How do you tell what spec others are in when you join a warfront without sending them a tell or targeting them to see what skills they are using or mousing over their hps in simple meter? The first encounter decides the outcome of over half the warfronts I end up in, mostly because of the quitters but it is what it is.

You should be able to tell what spec a healer is using by their buffs.
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Misun View Post
    You should be able to tell what spec a healer is using by their buffs.
    Makes sense, thanks for the feedback.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Eridanis View Post
    Was curious to see the communities thoughts on st vs aoe heals in warfronts. Ideally I think a raid would have both if it was organized, but for pickup groups I have noticed the following.

1. I'm usually near the top of the healing charts in aoe spec (warden).
    2. I'm a lot lower numbers wise in st spec (sent) but it seems a lot more effective in certain situations.

I have started running st heals for black garden, library, and dex depending on how the groups split up, and aoe for scion and karthan ridge. Inevitably there are some who (don't heal themselves) and pop the charts up and start whining and want to quit when they dont see top numbers on their team. A great example of this is a library match where we just won against the other team 1000/400 but had less than half the heals numbers wise of the other team. Had a troll in the raid sitting at base looking at the numbers and telling the team to give up

Thats not really the point of the thread though, it just made me wonder what other people are doing in pickup groups for heals.
    In smaller Wf's as chloro I synth people which makes my healing more effective and also keeps a single target alive longer.

In larger Wf's if I use our "genearl" aoe healing (LGV) I do more healing then ST synth, and usually top charts in say PS.

In other words the more people you have the more your warden spec will spread the love and give you high numbers. The less people you have the more important it is to go sent. Some will argue you should go sent all the time though since aoe heals are fluff (although with the valor change fluff is more effective), but if you have a couple wardens it adds up to more fluff overall. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Wrastion; 02-17-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Wrastion View Post
    In smaller Wf's as chloro I synth people which makes my healing more effective and also keeps a single target alive longer.

In larger Wf's if I use our "genearl" aoe healing (LGV) I do more healing then ST synth, and usually top charts in say PS.

In other words the more people you have the more your warden spec will spread the love and give you high numbers. The less people you have the more important it is to go sent. Some will argue you should go sent all the time though since aoe heals are fluff (although with the valor change fluff is more effective), but if you have a couple wardens it adds up to more fluff overall. Hope that helps.
    In sharp contrast, I have stopped using LBV and Synth a long time ago. I have LGV up, but only pop out damaging spells when there is no one in dire need of healing. Sometimes I end up with zero damage done, and yet I still usually top the charts.

On top of the other advice given, I would recommend you test different builds to find what is more effective - as well as fun - for you. Even identical builds have room for different play styles.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Ashh View Post
    It all just really depends on WHO you keep up. When I'm on my cleric (which is not very often) I feel like I am wasting my time healing all the bad dps. There are so many bad dpsers out there that it is mind-boggling. So basically what I am saying is look at the board and sort the dps, heal the people doing the damage.
    You have a cleric? Can't be true, otherwise I'd never see you on your under-powered rogue.

When you say sort by dps on the board, are you saying the AoE dps generating the highest numbers are the best and deserve the most healing? I guess I'm really asking if anyone besides rogues are doing... oh, nvm ;)

@OP, both types of healing are good and compliment each other. You need to play to your strengths first and team need second, because playing a spec better for the team in a crappy way won't do any good.

The numbers on the boards can be misleading and don't represent the most important people for healing or dps. You should be able to pick out the people having more impact, as the match is played.

It seems to be a common myth that the team with the most healers = easy win. If it's 1 healer vs. 3 this may be true, but having too many healers = no dps which is no good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartzekar View Post
    AoE heals in the current state kinda stinks, for Cleric at least. Bards and Tacticians are good for AoE, but I'd take a ST healing specced Cleric any day of the week.
    Much as I love bard, I don't view it a great "instead" sort of healer at all. Verse of Joy is nice, but actually cleansing all that Dom nonsense can't be beat. Having a good bard synergizes well, though, as long as they don't lose sight of debuffing and using VoA to snipe KBs - I mean, um, to add a bit of burst damage.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast