+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Port Scion Defiants

Default Port Scion Defiants

How often does pushing bridge from South work for you?

Jiva@Faeblight
    <is Defenseless>

Won every scion I played in this week, so it can work

Quote Originally Posted by smoked View Post
    Won every scion I played in this week, so it can work
    please re-read the first two words of the original post

Jiva@Faeblight
    <is Defenseless>

Quote Originally Posted by Avind View Post
    please re-read the first two words of the original post
    Should I have posted that we pushed from south and won every scion I played this week?

thanks, that answers the question

Jiva@Faeblight
    <is Defenseless>

Generally most of the time. Over the last couple of years I hear people argue about pushing from the north so they can somewhat control church as well as assault the bridge.

The thing that gets me though, is if a team can't do one thing right (get bridge), the odds of them controlling church AND assaulting bridge from the north at same time is slim. If a team can't get the bridge from the south with their whole team, they are probably just outmatched. It is easier for people to complain about tactics than admit to themselves that they aren't as good as the other team.

Sure some games are won without the bridge from people going north of bridge to church along with running the south stone, but in comparison, those are few and far between.
    MMO VAULT (Video Game Music) ➜ https://www.youtube.com/c/VideoGameMusicSoundtrack

two things i've noticed about scion with regards to guardian/defiants:

at the start, the defiants poke their head around the corner at the south end and pew pew the flag.
    the guardians rdps and heals ALL run straight to the north end while the tanks control the middle of the bridge.

the guardians almost always win the bridge this way, because none of their healers are threatened. they take control of the bridge right from the start and are fighting a defensive game from then on. they own the bridge before the flag even spawns.
    the defiants are left to push bridge from the very first moment. they own nothing, and they are too scared to push far enough onto the bridge to target the guardian heals.

2nd thing: if the guardians lose the fight at bridge, they GROUP UP before they assault from south. and they move up together. very often this is successfull because half the defiants have already run off to church and are playing with the boss.
    on the other hand, if the defiants lose bridge, most run south, some run to church, but they do it in dribs and drabs. there is no grouping up first. they run in alone and die alone.
    if enough defiants gather at the south end, there is no cohesion in the push. some push, some hide behind corners. heals stay back, ready to run, and quickly lose range of any frontline advancement.

scion is the only map where i'm happy to be merced. the guardians know how to play it.
    the defiants only know how to fail it.

P.S. i have won scion on defiant many times. but the guardian game plan is far superior to the defiant derpfest.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Pushing from the north is better than pushing from the south just due to the LoS break potential. The south is an easier choke to hold for defenders thanks to the tighter funnel and favourable LoS breaks, and serves as little value for an attacking squad.

The problem with attack from the north is that it's a further run and usually only attempted after the first wipe, at which point people are already trickling in single file or swapping specs to run off in stealth and solo stone runners.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Everything Kronos said plus this:

When defiants try to regain the bridge from the south they are bottlenecked and healers are safely tucked in the back out of reach. The bridge is the high ground. A mass push may work but the aoe is killer. The north is much better, strategically. There is more room to move and avoid aoe without running out of the fight. Stones can be sniped. Guardians are forced to come off the bridge and healers are in the open.

I was in one really good PS where we stormed the church and held it without ever taking the bridge. The guards were never able to retake the church or stop our stone carriers and we won by a large margin.

There is no strategically good reason to attack from the south. It is, quite literally, an uphill battle.

I think this is a phase. Sometimes it's mostly defiant, sometimes it's guardian. This week, my 3 port scion matches were supafarmfun on the bridge (guardians stood south). I even got in a few PoS randoms that were just as fun. However there was one match I entered where guardians were way ahead, opened the map and saw a cluster of bubbles popping south bridge. **soul recall** Aint nobody got time for that.

BY THE WAY, it is possible to win the bridge from the south. It requires pushing forward.

98% of the time it never works out that way.

The reason why port scion is fun for most defiants on the weekend is because the better players on guardian side already farmed it out on reset day.

I lost every port scion today except for the one where i took control and yelled at everyone in raid chat untill they listened. Its seems like 90% of the player base doesnt know what to do when the other team has the bridge they just run and zerg it and die and repeat. But after much yelling in raid chat and when people started listening to me we won. Even got some thank you and that was a great match tells. Now only if i could do that 2 more times without killing myself i would of completed my weekly

It took me a few days to get the PoS part of my quest done..and I finally got the 3 wins due to being merc'd on Defiant side. Never won a match as Guardian.

Thank you Taaltos for inviting me so I could get that last win!
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

If I can get heals, I can take back the bridge from the south. In fact that is my favorite thing to do in PS is seeing if I can take the bridge back.

PS los'ing from the south is easy, the little cubby by the lamp posts are awesome for los'ing
    Last edited by Ashh; 02-11-2013 at 09:22 AM.

I'm on week three of a weekly with Port Scion iirc, week six of Win 3 CQs.

My play time is down and I get at most one shot at each every night without success.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast