+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What is the point of Mercenary Equipment ?

  1. #1
    Sword of Telara Abraxas79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    892

    Default What is the point of Mercenary Equipment ?

    As I understand the present system, your stats are "Bolstered" to the equivalent of Mercenary equipment upon entering a W/F. You could enter a W/F naked and still gain the Mercenary equivalent. So there is no requirement to have this gear for the casual player, who wants to enter a W/F from time to time and not get one shotted. Fair enough. This I understand and it makes sense.

    Aside from PVP however, the stats on the Mercenary equipment are abysmal. No way would wear this equipment in any type of PVE environment. Furthermore, you cannot even retain this equipment for aesthetic/wardrobe reasons, as you have to trade it in to obtain the next Tier.

    My question therefore is what purpose is it serving ? Why not simply scrap it altogether and add the favor cost to the next tier ?

    The only marginal benefit at all I can see to Mercenary equipment is open world PVP. However, there is so little of that these days (No PVP RIfts in SL, no PVP quest dailies) it hardly seems worth the effort. Even though I play on a PVP server, I would not wear this equipment outside of a W/F, the stats are that bad. This raises another question that I have. Why are the stats so poor ? I understand the need to separate PVE/PVP equipment, but why did TRION go to such extremes ? This is no exaggeration, when I was looking at the top "Warlord" PVP equipment, I realized to my horror, that some of my Level 58 quest greens had better stats.

    Considering the amount or grinding involved to get a full Warlord Set, should they really be inferior to someone's level 58 quest greens ? Would a Raider be happy if their equipment was reduced to this level outside of a Raid instance ?
    Last edited by Abraxas79; 02-06-2013 at 08:34 PM.

  2. #2
    Ascendant spaceboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,760

    Default

    same reason for dailies and PA

    to make you feel like there is something to do

  3. #3
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,989

    Default

    It's just something to do before you hit level 60, or rank 60 for that matter

  4. #4
    Ascendant Kronos v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7,237

    Default

    your bolstered gear does not benefit from any runes you might have on the gear it is replacing, so runed merc gear is better than pve gear once you enter a wf.

    also, you can buy costume merc gear if you really like the look of it.

    otherwise...yeah....it is one more example of trion hating on PvPers.

    PvEers can enter warfronts and have at the very least minimal competetive gear that doesnt disadvantage them too much.
    however, PvPers cannot compete on an even footing in PvE with even marginaly geared PvEers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

  5. #5
    Sword of Telara Abraxas79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    your bolstered gear does not benefit from any runes you might have on the gear it is replacing, so runed merc gear is better than pve gear once you enter a wf.

    also, you can buy costume merc gear if you really like the look of it.

    otherwise...yeah....it is one more example of trion hating on PvPers.

    PvEers can enter warfronts and have at the very least minimal competetive gear that doesnt disadvantage them too much.
    however, PvPers cannot compete on an even footing in PvE with even marginaly geared PvEers.

    Its unfortunate but true. No surprise that we are down to one PVP server in N/A and its a fledgling one at that, despite the so called "Medium Population" designation.

    I hope for Trion's sake that Raiders can keep this game going for the years to come, because they have all put all their eggs in one basket,

  6. #6
    Ascendant Violacea's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    12,128

    Default

    Bolstering should be done away with. If you can give a crap enough to get a meager, simple level 60, required set of merc gear and essences, you should die as fast as you do. It is suuuch a free hand out. I am fine with bolstering in lower WF's, that is more of a pass by. But yes, it doestrivialize the first set to a decent degree I think. But i don't know. With the way things are setup you probably want r50 when you are nearing 60.

    As I said, if you care enough to want to pvp, I don't get the problem with being forced to get a set first to be reasonable. If you don't have most the merc stuff by the time you are 60, you will get it very soon. If it is bonus weekend you'll gear up in no time flat. I couldn't see anyone who cares about pvp'ing being without all merc gear for more than 3 - 7 days at level 60.

    Even if you have a bad time schedule and can only play a little. I assume you would aim to get most of it while you level up o.O
    Last edited by Violacea; 02-07-2013 at 01:31 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

  7. #7
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas79 View Post

    Aside from PVP however, the stats on the Mercenary equipment are abysmal. No way would wear this equipment in any type of PVE environment.
    ?
    why not? i do perfectly fine in pve with my pvp-equip. Need to replace 3 items for for the hit though.
    Last edited by Antigonos; 02-07-2013 at 06:14 AM.

  8. #8
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kronos v View Post
    however, PvPers cannot compete on an even footing in PvE with even marginaly geared PvEers.
    stop this rumor IT IS JUST NOT TRUE.

  9. #9
    Ascendant Kyera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,402

    Default

    * Runes
    * Enchants
    * Costume
    * Gating mechanism to higher tiers
    * Not rocket science
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

  10. #10
    Rift Master Anathemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    676

    Default Bolstering

    Does not give you the equivalent of a full set of pvp gear. You still need the trinket, full engine, and pvp seal along with all of the pvp runes. Its not like these are expensive either. Oh yeah and if you like to be farmed, please continue not improving your gear. I guarantee you will not survive a freelancer let alone a warlord with bolstered dungeon gear.
    "The thousand little pieces of my life, which I have tried so hard to hold onto, are slipping through my fingers again. Each time I have to pick them back up, my hands seem a little smaller. Don't pity me, kill me. Just be gentle." -from my hour of need-

  11. #11
    Ascendant Lords0fpain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas79 View Post
    As I understand the present system, your stats are "Bolstered" to the equivalent of Mercenary equipment upon entering a W/F. You could enter a W/F naked and still gain the Mercenary equivalent. So there is no requirement to have this gear for the casual player, who wants to enter a W/F from time to time and not get one shotted. Fair enough. This I understand and it makes sense.

    Aside from PVP however, the stats on the Mercenary equipment are abysmal. No way would wear this equipment in any type of PVE environment. Furthermore, you cannot even retain this equipment for aesthetic/wardrobe reasons, as you have to trade it in to obtain the next Tier.

    My question therefore is what purpose is it serving ? Why not simply scrap it altogether and add the favor cost to the next tier ?

    The only marginal benefit at all I can see to Mercenary equipment is open world PVP. However, there is so little of that these days (No PVP RIfts in SL, no PVP quest dailies) it hardly seems worth the effort. Even though I play on a PVP server, I would not wear this equipment outside of a W/F, the stats are that bad. This raises another question that I have. Why are the stats so poor ? I understand the need to separate PVE/PVP equipment, but why did TRION go to such extremes ? This is no exaggeration, when I was looking at the top "Warlord" PVP equipment, I realized to my horror, that some of my Level 58 quest greens had better stats.

    Considering the amount or grinding involved to get a full Warlord Set, should they really be inferior to someone's level 58 quest greens ? Would a Raider be happy if their equipment was reduced to this level outside of a Raid instance ?
    Carrot on a stick, for a long grind (for the better gear).
    "There are other aspects of the game that we want you to engage in."

    ~Daglar

  12. #12
    Ascendant Fujitasix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,416

    Default

    They are tokens you stick in your bank until it's time to upgrade to Freelancer. Until then, wear your PvE stuff that already has runes.

    Getting full Freelancer gear doesn't take all that long. Warlord however... well you'll be the equivalent of PR120 before you have a full set.
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

  13. #13
    Ascendant Kyera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fujitasix View Post
    They are tokens you stick in your bank until it's time to upgrade to Freelancer. Until then, wear your PvE stuff that already has runes.
    And lose the benefit of the runes.

    Good stuff.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

  14. #14
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anathemus View Post
    Does not give you the equivalent of a full set of pvp gear. You still need the trinket, full engine, and pvp seal along with all of the pvp runes. Its not like these are expensive either. Oh yeah and if you like to be farmed, please continue not improving your gear. I guarantee you will not survive a freelancer let alone a warlord with bolstered dungeon gear.
    full engine? you mean full with any essences or merc ones? it says each of my pve essences are bolstered - lists them by name in the buff in warfronts and my stats verify bolstering. i don't see any reason to buy merc essences at all... yet i constantly see people (on my pve shard) who bought them all. am i missing something here?

    i am saving for the CQ ones atm

  15. #15
    Rift Chaser parangea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    351

    Default

    if hypothetically speaking wpvp was in rift, you need merc gear (or better) for that. you only get bolstered in wf's and CQ. not so much in wpvp, sadly wpvp is a thing of the past. all other reasons are mentioned above.
    sadly due to my week afk for exams i lost all my CQ points, and am not really sure if im going to continue laying rift.
    a week, 150K CQ points.... its all gone.... damn you trion.... damn you....
    Last edited by parangea; 02-07-2013 at 09:57 AM.
    R.I.P: Paraygon lvl-60 & Parangea lvl-60 <The Lords of War@bloodiron>
    It saddens me to see what Rift pvp has become. The laughing stock of the gaming world.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts