+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Mvp

Default Mvp

This idea has been mentioned on the forums before : a post-match vote for Most Valuable Player.

A fluff reward system attached to this may help to imprve strategy based gameplay.

Players who are consistently voted MVP would be easily identifiable and assume an unofficial leadership role, not necessarily by giving instructions but by attracting the support of other players.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Avind; 02-04-2013 at 04:37 AM.

Jiva@Faeblight
    <is Defenseless>

I think this would be a good idea. I believe SWTOR had something similar, although I didn't play it.
    Nope.

Shadowlander

How would you calculate it though?

Damage done? I can easily pad that through aoeing people as a tactician.
    Healing done? Same, easily padded by just aoe healing over and over.

Capping objectives doesn't necessarily equate to being MVP either, as then you'd get people rushing to cap nodes instead of holding others or grab power sinks over letting a far beefier player take it.

Getting people to vote on it would be like pulling teeth as few people want to listen to others in PvP anyways.

yeah, SWToR had this, i liked it. recieving MVP votes gave a slight increase in the equivelent of favor/prestige earned.

generaly, recognised players recieved votes. you know the players i mean, the ones you are glad to see on your team or dont like to see on the other.

healers almost always got MVP votes. good tanks sometimes did too (tanks were able to mitigate a teams damage recieved through guard/taunts - scoreboards had a protection column to show how much damage a tank had mitigated).

premades always voted for their own, ussualy the lowest ranked player on the team.
    duos voted for eachother.

often pugs would forget/not bother voting, but you couldnt see vote results if you didnt vote.

players who very obviously singlehandedly won the game, or did something spectacular, would ussualy get the most votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammako View Post

Capping objectives doesn't necessarily equate to being MVP either, as then you'd get people rushing to cap nodes instead of holding others or grab power sinks over letting a far beefier player take it.

Getting people to vote on it would be like pulling teeth as few people want to listen to others in PvP anyways.
    its not something that is calculated, the players vote for it.
    when the endgame scoreboard pops up there is a button next to each name, click the button to vote for the player.

if you need to convince others to vote for you, you dont deserve it.
    players either vote, or they dont.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

get an objective column on leaderboard first.

Quote Originally Posted by Avind View Post
    This idea has been mentioned on the forums before : a post-match vote for Most Valuable Player.

A fluff reward system attached to this may help to imprve strategy based gameplay.

Players who are consistently voted MVP would be easily identifiable and assume an unofficial leadership role, not necessarily by giving instructions but by attracting the support of other players.

What do you think?
    No. Players are poor judges of who is contributing.

And NO to popularity-contest circle jerks... Maybe if I put "legendary" in front of my name, I would get lots of votes, even when my healing numbers are abysmally bad.

It was a good system and I would like to see it implemented here, but it would need to come with a leaderboard with more details (protection numbers would be a good start).
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Quote Originally Posted by Ammako View Post

If it wasn't a voting system it should be a weighted calculation based on all data. Damage, healing, killing blows, saves, and objectives
    Even free cost too much now

loophole in the voting:

what happens in the case of a Tie when (not IF) every player just votes for themselves?

"I'm the MVP"
    "No IM the MVP"
    "You scrubs, obviously I"M THE MVP ever"
    "Look at my gear, i'm the MVP"
    "No no no, the MVP IS ME"
    "My K/D ratio is off the charts, MVP me"

if its formula based on match statistics then people will find a way to exploit it
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 02-04-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redcruxs View Post
    loophole in the voting:

what happens in the case of a Tie when (not IF) every player just votes for themselves?

"I'm the MVP"
    "No IM the MVP"
    "You scrubs, obviously I"M THE MVP ever"
    "Look at my gear, i'm the MVP"
    "No no no, the MVP IS ME"
    "My K/D ratio is off the charts, MVP me"
    Make it so you can't vote for yourself?

MAGICAL.

I honestly don't even get how you made this post without thinking of that.
    Last edited by Kyera; 02-04-2013 at 08:54 AM.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

MVP the healerzzzzz

Try a contribution score for suggested MvP based on a combination of stuff like:

number of saves ("savior")
    number of kill streaks
    number of damage taken streaks

See where I'm going with this, I'm sure. Anything related to the accolades should be relatively "objective." Cause, for the most part, you need to have some semblance of skill to consistently get accolades.

When you allow players to vote for their friends...it will be abused.
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

It could work based on certain accolades. But as soon as its based on pure stats alone (damage, healing, kb's) you'll have people exploiting it

and then again, not all player contribution can be measured with accolades or stats. A leader, someone who distracts enemies, someone who keeps tagging people from capping an objective, guarding the flag/objectives, a warrior protecting healers in the back from rogues. Its impossible to measure the ways people contribute to matches.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast