+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How can you easily tell the difference between enemy mage and healer in a WF?

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    105

    Default How can you easily tell the difference between enemy mage and healer in a WF?

    Just starting down the pvp journey.

    Any tips for this question? Things are moving so fast its sometimes hard to tell what I am looking at, so not sure what to mark as #1.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by riftyman View Post
    Just starting down the pvp journey.

    Any tips for this question? Things are moving so fast its sometimes hard to tell what I am looking at, so not sure what to mark as #1.

    Thanks!
    Pull up the warfront stats and select the side you are not on, click on healing done and #1 will be the on on top of the list.

  3. #3
    Rift Master Anathemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    676

    Default The only healers that are important...

    are the ones that know better than to be at the front of the line. Look for those casters that are hiding behind a tree, tryin not to draw attention to themselves. Those are the ones to mark. The derps that bounce around in the front of the line are just showboating and as a result will spend most of the game just healing themselves to the detriment of the group. This effectively makes them tanks, and you would never mark a tank right?

    Also the terms, mage, and healer are not mutually exclusive. The top healing spec measured by throughput is chloro in general, (look for green buffs) they need to die.
    Last edited by Anathemus; 01-26-2013 at 07:16 AM.
    "The thousand little pieces of my life, which I have tried so hard to hold onto, are slipping through my fingers again. Each time I have to pick them back up, my hands seem a little smaller. Don't pity me, kill me. Just be gentle." -from my hour of need-

  4. #4
    Prophet of Telara Delmlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,165

    Default

    Well I use little clues to distinct wether if the player is a healer or not since I've never played a mage or cleric I don't know much about their soul combinations and specs. A few things give them away though which is something the good clerics know to hide to keep them from being targeted from the get go.

    1. animations - when ever I see a casting animation i target the player to see if their casting a heal and who their casting the heal on

    2. position - healers tend to stand in the back of the group to avoid getting pulled in and to make sure that the enemy dps have to "step up" to target them putting the enemy dps in range of their melee tanks etc..

    3. looks - after a few matchs or a trip to the pvp gear vendor you'll learn what the cleric gear looks like and be able to tell if someone is a healer just by what their wearing if they don't use wardrobe // weapons go along with this, books/skulls/totems paired with maces/wands is most likely a healer unless you find them casting dps spells

    Some big hints are mages with a green tether are healing with void life and clerics standing around wildly swinging their giant 2H hammer at nothing but air are healing haha

    Edit:

    Thought I might add: The reason for focusing healers is to force them to heal themselves. having them targeted means they get interrupted,debuffed,stunned etc... to stop them from continuing to heal.

    Only time anyone should be on dps or tank is if they overextend and are clearly out of range from heals or they just soak up dmg easily with their high mitigation and add to their teams forward momentum
    Last edited by Delmlord; 01-26-2013 at 07:33 AM.
    Rehashed, reskinned content =/= Exciting new content
    Retired from Rift thanks to Square E getting their stuff together

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    105

    Default

    These are some awesome tips, thanks a bunch guys!

  6. #6
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,486

    Default

    Do you mean specifically Mage or casters? Mage healers are pretty easy to tell.

    If they have the Lifegiving Veil buff, they are either a healer or a healer subspec. If you see Vile Spores/Void Life/Nature's Fury/Nature's Touch/Wild Growth etc, then it's a Chloromancer and thus a healer. If you see Lifebound Veil, healer.

    If a Cleric, look for a Blessing like Healer's Blessing or Caregiver's Blessing. Shared Excess is a very noticeable buff indicating a large point investment in Warden; Marked by the Light the same for Sentinel. Purifiers have a buff which looks a bit like a blue shield. Defilers will have multiple links on them, and Grief Blight once high enough.

    As for which to focus first, making generalisations but:

    Chloromancer;
    Lifegiving Veil - AoE heal focus, meh ST heals. Susceptible to pressure.
    Lifebound Veil - ST heal focus, meh AoE heals. VERY susceptible to pressure.

    Cleric:
    Sentinel - ST heal focus, meh AoE heals. Durable under pressure.
    Warden - AoE heal focus, meh ST heals. Susceptible to pressure.
    Purifier - Largely ST. Durable under pressure... interrupt Spiritual Conflagration.
    Defiler - currently overpowered. Extreme ST heals, can be good AoE heals depending on spec. Very mana-intensive and finds it difficult to react to multiple targets taking heavy damage at once. Very durable under pressure.

    Now depending on your team, you should decide whether all destroying a ST healer will be worth it or whether you should pick off the squishier ones first. This depends on your damage types (AoE vs ST) and other factors. Just bear in mind to kill a Sentinel, Purifier or especially Defiler you will likely need a co-ordinated team effort. Chloros and Wardens need to watch their positions at all times.
    Last edited by Raen Ryong; 01-26-2013 at 10:33 AM.
    Raenryong@Deepwood R69 ~ Amathys@Zaviel (Rogue)
    Serefina@Deepwood R66 ~ Solserefina@Zaviel (Warrior)
    Seraena@Deepwood R80 ~ Seraena@Zaviel R70 (Cleric)
    Avalonia@Deepwood R66 ~ Avalonia@Zaviel (Mage)
    <Dauntless> ~ <Excellence>

  7. #7
    Rift Master Anathemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    676

    Default I don't know about alot of other healers...

    but for more than one reason, I do not show the gear given to me by vendor.

    Reason the first, for whatever reason, Tron is bad at designing pvp gear (it is probably the last thing they do before they release a new set), Its all just ugly, and I can do better with random pieces of gear put together to make decent sets, along with some time spent at the dye vendor.

    Reason the second, players look primarily at headslot items in player portrait, and secondly at your overall health total to determine very quickly what your gear level is (ever wonder why pvp'ers seem to wear stupid hats?). For this reason, I wear totally custom outfits, and change them regularly. If I get focus fired, I change cloths to something that looks very different. Since we are visual animals first and foremost, this has the effect of camouflage on a lot of players. This is my personal experience, take it for what it is worth to you.

    A caveat to my previous post. There are times when a healer stepping in as a distraction to lead baddies from an objective can be very effective. Have you ever seen an entire team leave the middle in Whitefall just to try to kill a healer that ninja'd a stone? Yeah. Or a healer go solo to Scope or Statue to initiate a rope a dope to free up Dex? It may ultimately be a suicide run, but dps heros can't resist the potential of an easy kill (they are a silly bunch), and most just cant stand to be beaten by a healer, and will stay on you until they kill you, or until you lead them off to their deaths by a waiting rogue. Some things to keep in mind, if you decide to take up the risky business of healer kill'n. Never assume you can take one by yourself. Many can and will kill you by themselves given the time.
    Last edited by Anathemus; 01-26-2013 at 10:44 AM.
    "The thousand little pieces of my life, which I have tried so hard to hold onto, are slipping through my fingers again. Each time I have to pick them back up, my hands seem a little smaller. Don't pity me, kill me. Just be gentle." -from my hour of need-

  8. #8
    Ascendant Valnak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,516

    Default

    Look at this:

    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree#F//

    Look at the 4th tier from the bottom. If they have the Boon of Life buff then the mage is a dedicated healer. It looks like a pale hand.

    If they have the Lifegiving Veil it means they have some points into chloro.

    If they have the Lifebound Veil AND the Boon of Life buffs AND the Circle of Life (yellow circle 3rd tier far left) buffs then it means they're most likely doing the big burst heals.

  9. #9
    Ascendant spaceboots's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,760

    Default

    Does it die? it's a mage. Does it magically heal itself full in a touch of a button. Cleric

  10. #10
    Rift Master Anathemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    676

    Default typical warrior logic

    Quote Originally Posted by spaceboots View Post
    Does it die? it's a mage. Does it magically heal itself full in a touch of a button. Cleric
    if in doubt, attack it.
    "The thousand little pieces of my life, which I have tried so hard to hold onto, are slipping through my fingers again. Each time I have to pick them back up, my hands seem a little smaller. Don't pity me, kill me. Just be gentle." -from my hour of need-

  11. #11
    Ascendant tro44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anathemus View Post
    are the ones that know better than to be at the front of the line. Look for those casters that are hiding behind a tree, tryin not to draw attention to themselves. Those are the ones to mark. The derps that bounce around in the front of the line are just showboating and as a result will spend most of the game just healing themselves to the detriment of the group. This effectively makes them tanks, and you would never mark a tank right?

    Also the terms, mage, and healer are not mutually exclusive. The top healing spec measured by throughput is chloro in general, (look for green buffs) they need to die.
    I disagree about the hiding part. I play a healer tank as I call it. My role is to ether heal or get focus fired so my team doesn't. Sort of like a tank does in PvE. Dancing around in the front is like my taunt/aggro. Players see the heals, now they go after me, while some other force on the team is doing a role to get us the win. Sometimes people are so blinded by getting the healer that it can be their weakness to exploit.

    Lets Go Rift. Hope Archeage can do something next. Lets Save Rift

  12. #12
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    450

    Default

    A good way to do it in the midst of battle is to look for a person that, when they complete a cast, does not have a graphic go from them to their target. There are exceptions but this is a good place to start for where your attention should be drawn. For chloros look for green stuff coming from them as well.

  13. #13
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anathemus View Post
    but for more than one reason, I do not show the gear given to me by vendor.

    Reason the first, for whatever reason, Tron is bad at designing pvp gear (it is probably the last thing they do before they release a new set), Its all just ugly, and I can do better with random pieces of gear put together to make decent sets, along with some time spent at the dye vendor.

    Reason the second, players look primarily at headslot items in player portrait, and secondly at your overall health total to determine very quickly what your gear level is (ever wonder why pvp'ers seem to wear stupid hats?). For this reason, I wear totally custom outfits, and change them regularly. If I get focus fired, I change cloths to something that looks very different. Since we are visual animals first and foremost, this has the effect of camouflage on a lot of players. This is my personal experience, take it for what it is worth to you.

    A caveat to my previous post. There are times when a healer stepping in as a distraction to lead baddies from an objective can be very effective. Have you ever seen an entire team leave the middle in Whitefall just to try to kill a healer that ninja'd a stone? Yeah. Or a healer go solo to Scope or Statue to initiate a rope a dope to free up Dex? It may ultimately be a suicide run, but dps heros can't resist the potential of an easy kill (they are a silly bunch), and most just cant stand to be beaten by a healer, and will stay on you until they kill you, or until you lead them off to their deaths by a waiting rogue. Some things to keep in mind, if you decide to take up the risky business of healer kill'n. Never assume you can take one by yourself. Many can and will kill you by themselves given the time.
    It is very nice to see another pvp'er with a brain! I use all of these tricks as well from a rogue's point of view. Gear camo doesn't matter as much for me since I'm obviously weilding a flamethrower, dagger, or bow. But I agree with the ugly armor comment.

    I can't fathom how many times I see groups fail at Codex because they don't understand that just holding 3 bases (with 1 extra point per tick) will not net them a win if the other team has 200 more points...

  14. #14
    Ascendant Kyera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,402

    Default

    You'll learn to recognize buffs, abilities used, names, and position pretty quickly if you're an astute observer.

    But please, don't look to mark all the healers with low numbers. It's a bad idea.

    If you MUST use static marking on healers early on, give them 5-8, and save 1-4 for targets of the moment.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

  15. #15
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Prescott, AZ
    Posts
    293

    Default

    Also, whenever you target a caster, the name of the spell they're casting will pop up on the portrait. Most of the healing spells have pretty obvious titles, so if you see one, mark the caster as a healer. I would recommend letting the more experienced PvPers use the numbers to designate target priorities, and just stick a cross over their heads. Let those who are grinding an alt figure out who is really important, until you're sure you won't trip up the team.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts