+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Is PvP Gear worth it?

Plane Touched

Default Is PvP Gear worth it?

In warfronts i get a stat boost to vengeance : 867(somthing like that) and valor:4062. regardless of if im using my PvE set or full mercenary PvP set. So..

Will it matter if im in rank 60/70/80 gear? Meaning, if i grind all this out and get to rank 80. It wont make any different than just using PvE gear?
    Last edited by Lannisterxx; 01-24-2013 at 09:36 PM.

Plane Touched

did some more searching and found an answer: PvE gear will bolster only to equal the first set of PvP gear (mercenary). PvP gear above that (freelancer/warlord) would be an upgrade from the PvE gear's bolstered stats.
    Last edited by Lannisterxx; 01-24-2013 at 09:49 PM.

If you're a rogue, the head gear is BiS wardrobe

Aye - you do get bolstered for the sake of common competitive factor.

I've thought about this some and considering the treadmill of PvP gear, it seem a bit...../meh.....that you can speen 500k favor on gear (shotgun estimate) and be in the exact same place as someone simply dappling in the peeveepees....while then staring another tall terrace of favor and mark grind for the 'upgrade'.

I can understand the concept of bolstering, I just don't agree that it's the exact set equivilant to what people have who've done a fair amount of PvP commitment/work/playing prior.

Hinky.
    [FONT="Georgia"]Masyn - 60 warr - Deepwood
    Mostly attempts to tank and PvP. Maker of much mischief.

Mercenary gear takes very little time to get though.
    Even free cost too much now

It's needed ofc to upgrade, but i have full merc gear yet i get more vengance and valor while wearing my pve gear... why?

Merc gear should not be equal to bolstering levels, it should be more.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammon View Post
    It's needed ofc to upgrade, but i have full merc gear yet i get more vengance and valor while wearing my pve gear... why?

Merc gear should not be equal to bolstering levels, it should be more.
    Rune up your merc gear and it takes you above bolstering levels. A full set of runes is a significant stat boost.

Also, although the sigil is bolstered you don't get bolstered to what a fill merc essence sigil would provide.
    Last edited by Bizar; 01-25-2013 at 07:21 AM.
    Biz - L60/P81 Warrior

I'm about to hit R75 and I'm still missing 1 piece of Freelancer gear for lack of tokens. I'll be the equivalent of R100 before I have full Warlord I suspect.

The gear does make an appreciable difference, and it's worth the grind - but only if you're having fun PvPing, which I'm still enjoying thoroughly.

I don't know if you get twice the marks again at R80, but if not, the Warlord item costs seem a bit absurd. It's a different currency for those that haven't seen tokens at R60 and R70, btw.

A quick tip - when you get to R58 and R68, stockpile your daily randoms and weekly quests so you'll immediately get marks at R60 and twice the marks at R70. Quests in progess DO automatically update to reflect changes in PR, so don't hesitate to start your Guns For Hire or CQ weekly quests if you're near that plateau.
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

Just be careful about stockpiling your daily random above 4/5 completed with the rewards waiting for you. There is a bug when you have 5/5 and complete or turn in another quest that crops up sometimes. It can cause your stockpiled rewards to be treated as if you just went to 6/5, which therefore is forcibly bumped back to 5/5, then goes down to 4/5 because it wasn't really one of the loot-diamond-thing quests. I've lost some sourcestones and marks that way before I figured out what was going on.

The stat gains between sets seems to be pretty minor. Roughly equivalent to adding another item's worth of stats to you, overall. Not really worth the treadmill they have set up, aside from being able to finally properly rune your gear, which does make a difference. Thankfully I still enjoy PVP as a whole, especially thanks to Fuji's mention of the 38/38 build.
    "You with your fancy cooldowns and "runic" power! You know where my power comes from!? THE BACK OF MY HAND, #&!$%!"

The gear imo is more worth it than it appeared at first look.

But if you like to PvP, definitely worth getting it all.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

say
    Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Fujitasix View Post
    A quick tip - when you get to R58 and R68, stockpile your daily randoms and weekly quests so you'll immediately get marks at R60 and twice the marks at R70. Quests in progess DO automatically update to reflect changes in PR, so don't hesitate to start your Guns For Hire or CQ weekly quests if you're near that plateau.
    Planning on doing this. Wondering what happens when the rewards go past 4/5, does it save the mark rewards and discard the exp rewards, or does everything past 4/5 get discarded?

Kinda confusing.
    Last edited by say; 01-25-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by say View Post
    Wondering what happens when the rewards go past 4/5, does it save the mark rewards and discard the exp rewards, or does everything past 4/5 get discarded?

Kinda confusing.
    This I can't answer. I'd stick with Gamma's suggestion to keep it at 4/5. I didn't have enough foresight in my rabid quest for R60 to lay off the random rewards beyond 7x daily.
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

I want prestige 80 because I'm a hardcore pvper, and only casuals would care about the gear that much. I'm doing it to say hey, I'm prestige 80 and thoroughly enjoy to pvp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muspel View Post
    I believe Assassin DoTs are uncleansable.

It's still a terrible PvP spec compared to Marksman, though.

14.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #14

Quote Originally Posted by say View Post
    Planning on doing this. Wondering what happens when the rewards go past 4/5, does it save the mark rewards and discard the exp rewards, or does everything past 4/5 get discarded?

Kinda confusing.
    Speaking from personal experience, and losing a dailies worth of Marks:

You can stack up to 5/5 and be safe.

If you turn in ANY quest before claiming one of those rewards you will lose one of your 5 stacks. (Marks, Prestige, Favor, Coin...)

Shadowlander

Default Merc Gear Not Quite Useless

The mercenary gear works outside or warfronts unlike the bolstering to PvE gear. So if you are on a PvP server or like to duel you will want the mercenary gear to gain that edge. Try dueling someone that is wearing full mercenary gear while you are wearing only PvE gear and see what I mean for yourself.
    Last edited by Fireflye; 01-25-2013 at 03:18 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast