+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Tanking in WFs?

Default Tanking in WFs?

Anyone spec for tanking in WFs? Is there any real reason to in Rift? If there are any tanks out there having fun and feeling useful in WFs how do you spec and what are your strategies?
    Last edited by MMoplaya1971; 01-22-2013 at 06:18 AM.

Silence chain everyone until they die ;<
    Last edited by Morwath; 01-22-2013 at 06:25 AM.

LOL that does sound fun. The only thing I like better than killing is being a pest.

i pvp tank on BOTH of my current pvp toons.
    its amazing the rage you get from your own team mates who say "OMG YOU SKRUB WHY 4 R U A TANK IN PVP Nub"
    and im thinking to myself...... why WOULDNT you be? i like my score better when my tank gets 2 kills 0 deaths than said bunnyhopping marksman who had 5 kills 7 deaths.

i mean if you think about pvp, someone HAD TO get hit. better it be the tank right? and I know a few cleric buffs are tank based and heal peopel and damage people around the tank. Feedback is most effective on the tank.
    and when i play my voidknight? man oh man... you people better be glad they took away the mana drain capeabilities on this class because right now im jus all over casters. Im prety much going to cut your damage down to a third because you will only get to use insta cast spells when a good tank is on you.
    if its a warden? even more fun, I eat all the hots off him.

who do you assist in pvp? I learned in daoc you never assist the damage dealers because they sometimes have to break off to save their own lives, while tanks pretty much DONT have to worry about their own lives as they are armored. so tanks usually are the best person for casters and ranged damage dealers to assist

You can also tell which tanks came from pvp games. I see tanks jus run in and die and im like huh? I came from warhammer, so I do things like go into front line, pick a rogue/warrior who is squishy and use knockbacks to put him closer to my front line to be focused down.

OR
    I will go to the front line and let the rogues and warriors group up to beat on me, then I will AOE summon the casters in the back line to me and aoe silence everyone. now you have like 10 people all in one spot none of them getting healed for 5 sec. and all of them now in range.... I do this about 9-10 times a game.

and of course, i also will run with things. Holding fan, sabatoge in white fall step is my favorite. running the bomb in K-ridge is easier with a tank.
    How much do you HATE BISHOPX?
    Warrior video (july)
    Newest shaman PvP video
    Enjoy the GREATEST HITS

You make tanking sound so fun! Last night in a WF there was a Tank, I think he was a VK, that inspired me to look into it more. He would run into the fray, start thwacking people and pulling people in, and generally just getting everyone to focus on him since he was the closest enemy. When he would reach about 50% health he would simply run back to his line and refresh, then come back. I dont think he ever died. In fact, after a few of those episodes I stopped trying to even kill him. After a while he was just pretty much running around in our midst making a pest of himself with no one bothering lol. I might have to look into VK more. I currently tank as a Pally\Warlord, but thats not so great for PVP Tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by BishopX View Post
    who do you assist in pvp? I learned in daoc you never assist the damage dealers because they sometimes have to break off to save their own lives, while tanks pretty much DONT have to worry about their own lives as they are armored. so tanks usually are the best person for casters and ranged damage dealers to assist
    Uh...

In DAoC, you didn't run pure tanks (turtle specs), and both heavy tanks and light tanks (today, we would call these melee dps) were damage dealers. Best MA was usually a light tank because they had Det 5 + Stoi + Charge and were often always on a target.
    Last edited by Kyera; 01-22-2013 at 10:16 AM.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

I'm pretty sure he was probably talking about the pure dps classes.

Quote Originally Posted by MMoplaya1971 View Post
    I'm pretty sure he was probably talking about the pure dps classes.
    DAoC's "types" were essentially as follows: Heavy tanks, light/charge tanks, hybrids, primary healers/buffers, secondary healers/buffers, speed classes (one of the above + runspeed), casters, and stealthers.

The closest we had to pure dps classes were light/charge tanks (functionally equivalent to Rift's mdps) and fire wizards, and assisting off a charge tank was never a bad idea.
    Last edited by Kyera; 01-22-2013 at 12:27 PM.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

PvP tanking is surprisingly entertaining, Not going into details about it cause it will stop working if its common knowledge about whats happening, but it works a little too well most of the time.

It can be fun tanking in warfronts and sometimes its more then just annoying people. You can run stones in whitefall or ninja enemy stones and run it back in a tank spec to survive a bit longer to actually make it back to your base or your team for heals if no one followed you in. Personally I love yanking people into my raid, the tears you can get from people from pulling them can be highly entertaining.
    Last edited by Xillean; 01-22-2013 at 11:45 PM.
    Myrmidon Xillean Tormeng, Lord of War
    Dimensions: Planar Study Spec: 61/10/5
    PA: 900 | Score: 11120 | Tradeskills: All Grandmastered
    4/4 GP | 4/4 DH | 5/5 GSB | 5/5 RoS Conqueror | 11/11 HK | 2/4 RotP | 1/8 ID
    Characters: Xillean R90, Phantasmal R72, Eylisa R68, Kattie R74

Plane Walker

Dive on in there full tank. Hope Wreckoning is on the other team and wait till he checks scoreboards for "damage received". Wreckoning commits suicide. Now defeat the Wreckoningless team with ease.

PS. On Ambien so who knows if what I wrote made any sense

I wasn't aware that melee doesn't tank in WFs... thats news to me... It may not be the "role" they are in but you better believe they are the first person to get focused.

Also here is my go to list for OP

40vk36rb/0temp
    41wl/32/pala/2temp (can go 35 pala if you want.) I like the ranged finisher.
    61/vk/15rb/o temp

these are pretty much about the best out there some nice guides in the warrior forums section as well. check it out.
    Zoartype@Deepwood

Soulwalker

Hello. Tanking in WFs is extremely effective. I can only comment from a Warrior perspective, but I do feel that Warriors are the only viable Tanks in organized PvP.

I frequently run VK/Pally. I will establish the frontline for my team and play a anti-healer role. Proper timed silences and CC will allow you to dominate the battlefield while bringing presence to the enemy team, forcing them to waste DPS on you. You can also do very respectable damage as a Tank with the right build/gear. Throw in some priority marking and you can carry games as a Tank.

Common tricks are to pull healers or any over-extenders into your team and kick them back further, follow up with shield charge or a stun and they will usually die. Pull immortal healers to the edge of Codex and kick them off. Same with Scion bridge. You can even pull healers out of LoS of their team - doing this at critical times will cause players to die.

Tanking in PvP allows you to create creative solutions to common problems, which imo is what makes it so fun. So I hope I didn't give too much of the fun away. :]
    Last edited by CNDKrazer; 01-23-2013 at 12:51 AM.

^^^ Krazer makes awesome use of a tank spec. Had a lot of fun running groups with him. The wolf-pack of AoE'ers loves his group port-pulls.

As a rogue I love having one around. Even today, was awesome to have good games on a 61BD when other prominent warriors were present to help push a front line. Tank spec or warrior specs that tank. All good in my book.

Riftstalkers are the useless tanks >.> But we had our glory days~
    Last edited by Violacea; 01-23-2013 at 01:10 AM.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Yeah, Riftstalkers are relatively light in the utility portfolio for PvP tanking, especially since the runner builds got hammered. Only possible advantage is Twilight Force (so dumb).

Warriors probably get the most grief because they have the builds that fill the role the best (much as clerics get griefed for not healing).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast