+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Kyera

Thread: PVP Gear questions

Default PVP Gear questions

Ok, I really did look for quite a while this morning before work. Can anyone tell me where in the world the level 50+ PVP Vendors are? I looked in Tempest Bay, Meridian, and the 2 big towns near the noob zones on the new continent and could not find a single PVP vendor anywhere. Not even the ones that used to be in Meridian.

Also a general question about pvp gear - Is it necessary? For instance if I have really PVE gear can I just use that in WFs or is there a really good reason to buy PVP stuff?

Thanks for any replies.

Quote Originally Posted by MMoplaya1971 View Post
    Ok, I really did look for quite a while this morning before work. Can anyone tell me where in the world the level 50+ PVP Vendors are? I looked in Tempest Bay, Meridian, and the 2 big towns near the noob zones on the new continent and could not find a single PVP vendor anywhere. Not even the ones that used to be in Meridian.

Also a general question about pvp gear - Is it necessary? For instance if I have really PVE gear can I just use that in WFs or is there a really good reason to buy PVP stuff?

Thanks for any replies.
    Gear is in Tempest bay, right when you port in go right past the training dummy's below and you should see the merchants. If you plan to pvp competitively (as much as you can in this game) You will need to get your gear, it will take quite a bit of time since you now need pvp marks to get the different tiers except for the first which just requires favor.

Also while your pve gear will get upgraded to the first set of pvp gear, it will not bolster you past that gear wise so you will be at a disadvantage to those in full warlord gear down the road.
    Myrmidon Xillean Tormeng, Lord of War
    Dimensions: Planar Study Spec: 61/10/5
    PA: 900 | Score: 11120 | Tradeskills: All Grandmastered
    4/4 GP | 4/4 DH | 5/5 GSB | 5/5 RoS Conqueror | 11/11 HK | 2/4 RotP | 1/8 ID
    Characters: Xillean R90, Phantasmal R72, Eylisa R68, Kattie R74

Thank you Xillean. I must have run by the vendor a few times :-( So, what do you mean my PVE gear will be "will get upgraded to the first set of pvp gear". Do you mean that PVE gear is bascially transformed specs-wise into the lowet teir PVP gear when you enter a WF? And if that is the case, I assume then there is no reason to buy the first set of PVP gear? thanks.

OH! One other question. Are there still PVP souls? I dont see them in the soul builders anymore.
    Last edited by MMoplaya1971; 01-21-2013 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MMoplaya1971 View Post
    Thank you Xillean. I must have run by the vendor a few times :-( So, what do you mean my PVE gear will be "will get upgraded to the first set of pvp gear". Do you mean that PVE gear is bascially transformed specs-wise into the lowet teir PVP gear when you enter a WF? And if that is the case, I assume then there is no reason to buy the first set of PVP gear? thanks.

OH! One other question. Are there still PVP souls? I dont see them in the soul builders anymore.
    You still have to buy the first set of gear if you want to upgrade to the later two tiers as the second tier requires the first set, favor and marks to upgrade.

When you enter pvp warfronts your gear will be replaced with the lowest set of pvp gear if you are wearing pve gear. Pvp souls were removed quite some time ago, some of what you use to have can be found in Plane of War Planar Atunement, hit U if your 50 and you should see your pa.
    Last edited by Xillean; 01-21-2013 at 07:04 AM.

Ascendant

not to forget: runes and enchants on pve gear will NOT be transformed. so even on entry gear level you have a disadvantage over people wearing original pvp gear.

Thanks very much guys Great info for a returning noob.

I had been looking to put together a full, ordered-list style "purchasing order" guide for PvP gear, but I got bored/lazy/totally disinterested, so here's a quick crash course version.

The Rules

* At 60, any gear without valor (or with valor but with lower stats than the Mercenary set) gets replaced by the equivalent Mercenary piece, should such a piece exist. This is known as bolstering.
    * Any bolstered piece does not benefit from procs, enchantments, or other funky doo-dads on it (hint: upgrade weapons ASAP so you can use consumables). Thus, it is still important to buy and rune your Mercenary pieces when you can, especially since you need to flip them into Freelancer.
    * The following pieces are NOT bolstered: synergy crystal, source machine/sigil, trinket, and greater essences in your source machine/sigil. Lesser essences will get replaced, though apparently missing some valor from what I've been told (I've never bothered to look because lazy), and I've been unable to get greaters to proc (and they show up as bolstered), so ymmv.
    * Synergy crystals draw their bonuses from the equipped armor, not the bolstering replacements, so you'll need 2pc/3pc/4pc Mercenary to benefit from the new crystals, for example.

What Should I Buy to Start?
    * Four pieces of level 50 PvP armor. The pieces you need to buy depend on the runes you can get, since you want to get the four items with the "weakest" rune options (since the runes won't apply). I have a list at home recommending pieces, but essentially it's belt/gloves/boots, and then whichever of... shoulder/legs, I think, that has [Secondary Stat]/Crit, where the Secondary Stat is Str for Rogues, Dex for Warriors, Wis for Mages, and Int for Clerics. This could change if the value/impact of crit gets increased. Why these pieces? Because...
    * The level 50 Synergy Crystal. Free stat stick out of the gate that will tide you over until you're ready to roll.
    * Level 60 PvP weapons. Rune them up and be sure to get some weapon enchantments.
    * Conquest Master's Sigil/Source Machine. The +50 Vengeance one. It's still best-in-slot. Fill it with garbage lessers for now (they get bolstered, remember) and throw a nice +resist rune thing on if you've got the stones to burn.
    * Buy a solid PvE seal. They aren't replaced, and it's a delicious stat stick -- and if you're not huge on needing the valor/end, often a better choice than the grindfest-2013-Conquest-sigils.

What Should I Do Afterwards?
    * Get all the Karthan things you can get. The weapon enchants are huge. The runes are huge. The trinket is huge. Grind the hell out of that Karthan rep -- and if you don't mind PvE, grind Eternal City Survivors and uh... one of the other two PvE factions, I can't remember which offhand. The belt rune one. You want the neck and belt rune eventually.
    * Buy lots of consumables. Powersurge/Brightsurge vials, Tablets/Seeds/Pet Runes, food. Consume them. Consume them all. SOOOOOOOOOOO HUNGRYYYYYYYYYY.
    * Play enough Conquest to at /least/ get your ring and seal runes each time you upgrade them. Optionally: Conquest trinket(s), Conquest blue seal, Conquest purple AP/SP trinkets.
    * Related: eventually work towards putting the PvP essences in your sigil. You can skip the crit ones if you plan to get the Conq purple AP/SP crystals.
    * Get at least one synergy crystal (for the +AP), and others if you actually stand to use the synergy crystal bonuses. You'll want this for when you switch off the level 50 one, since it will (eventually) be a net gain via the runes.
    * Work towards buying all the slots for which you don't have level 50 gear in before buying items for the slots you have level 50 gear in. Once you've got a full set, you can work towards the next tier (optionally upgrading the level 50 pieces right to Freelancer to so you don't have to rune the Merc pieces).
    * If you near a weapon threshold (P70, P80) try to ensure you have the marks/favor to buy the weapons ASAP. Trust me.
    * Other than that, upgrade pieces as you go, as fits your tastes/wardrobe choice/cash flow (remember: you have to re-rune). Special Keirsti Pro-Tip: When you hit the Freelancer tier, upgrade your AP/SP ring, then buy a new Mercenary AP/SP ring, and shelve the crit one. When you hit the Warlord tier, upgrade your Freelancer AP/SP ring, then upgrade your Mercenary AP/SP ring to Freelancer. Double AP ringbow all the way across the sky.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Great info Kyera!! Thanks for compiling and sharing.

As a side note, I was able to find the level 50 pvp gear merchant finally after looking all over the place for about an hour. He is in Meridian. And just to make it extra confusing, he does not have the name "PVP Items" or anything PVP or PVP rank related words in his title like all other pvp vendors. He is called "Eldritch" something or other (Engineer??) and he is in the far right wing of Meridian down the stairs and to the right next to a statue.

Sorry when you said 50+ I thought you wanted the Tempest Bay guys, thats where the Karthan rep vendeor is. Just 50 is in Merdian as you found.

No worries! My fault for saying 50+. Anyway I'm a little more familiar with Telara for all of my searching, so it's all good :-)
    Last edited by MMoplaya1971; 01-21-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Soulwalker

Default pvp gear

I found merchants in TB, and i have been told that i should look out for equipment with high wisdom, and i can only find merchants that have everything else but gear with high wis. i am a cleric, inquisitor.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Kyera View Post
    * At 60, any gear without valor (or with valor but with lower stats than the Mercenary set) gets replaced by the equivalent Mercenary piece, should such a piece exist. This is known as bolstering.
    very good info for the ppl who start! gz on thread
    one definition to these.. ppl dont relay on this replacement and geta all gear as fast as possible.

why i say this i crit for 4-5k on an enemy with mercenary gear - 7-8k on someone with pve gear!

i dont know if the replacement works bad or something but dont relay on this!

Conquest Master's Sigil/Source Machine. The +50 Vengeance one. It's still best-in-slot. Fill it with garbage lessers for now (they get bolstered, remember) and throw a nice +resist rune thing on if you've got the stones to burn.
    Hmm wait. Lessers get bolstered, but by how much? is there any point then in buying the blue pvp lessers anyway?

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by mhaze View Post
    Hmm wait. Lessers get bolstered, but by how much? is there any point then in buying the blue pvp lessers anyway?
    they dont get bolstered.

Quote Originally Posted by mhaze View Post
    From what I have been told, you get the non-valor stats, but not the valor.

And they certainly do get bolstered for at least the stats, since my Greaters stop working, my stats are higher with a sigil with lowbie essences than without a sigil, and certainly by more than the ~30 Dex and ~30 End these ghetto essences give, and the mouseover of the bolstering icon indicates they are the only six pieces still being replaced.

ymmv, of course. I also haven't looked at the stats in a little while, to be fair, so maybe this got borked too.
    Last edited by Kyera; 01-22-2013 at 06:43 AM.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

+ Reply to Thread