+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: A study in the breakdown of classes and roles in warfronts

Default A study in the breakdown of classes and roles in warfronts

I've been seeing posts for a while claiming knowledge of the percentage of classes and roles in warfronts, but never any data to back it up. Some were outlandish, I believe I saw one that claimed 70% of the game is Rogues, and some were downright silly (no more healers in warfronts).
    Well I decided data was needed. That's right I've been looking at you. Checking you out. No worries I'm pretty sure the bushes I'm in aren't outside of your house...or are they?

Anywho here's the data:

NUMBER OF WARFRONTS = 76

CLASSES
    Total = 347
    Cleric = 71
    Mage = 83
    Rogue = 125
    Warrior = 68

This means that Clerics have accounted for 20.46% of players, Mages have accounted for 23.92% of players, Rogues have accounted for 36.02% of players, and Warrior have accounted for 19.6% of players (some error due to rounding).

ROLES
    Total = 347
    Heal = 63
    DPS = 221
    Support = 45
    Tank = 18

This means that Healers accounts for 18.15% of players, DPS accounts for 63.69% of players, Support accounts for 12.97% of players, and tanks account for 5.19% of the players.

CLASS AND ROLES
    Cleric = 71
    Heal = 48
    DPS = 21
    Support = 1
    Tank = 1

67.61% are Healers, 29.58% are DPS, 1.41% are Support, and 1.41% are Tanks

Mage = 83
    Heal = 15
    DPS = 48
    Support = 20
    Tank = 0 (Duh!)

18.07% are Healers, 57.83% are DPS, and 24.1% are Support

Rogue = 125
    Heal = 0 (also Duh!)
    DPS = 101
    Support = 23
    Tank = 1

80.8% are DPS, 18.4% are Support, and 0.8% are Tanks

Warrior = 68
    Heal = 0 (Duh! squared)
    DPS = 51
    Support = 1
    Tank = 16

75% are DPS, 1.47% are Support, and 23.53% are Tanks

Things to keep in mind
    I play a Rogue, which guarantees a Rogue will be in every warfront
    I'm not 100% sure on that count being right for # of warfronts, seems a little high unless the average warfront only has a little less than 5 players in it. I'm wondering if my code double counted.
    The player numbers should be correct though, I tested them very well (warfront count was implemented later though the data was reset before taking these readings)
    Even free cost too much now

Not bad, definitely better data than most people's claims from midair.
    Worth noting that most of the 'Support' Mages will actually be healers since almost no-one ever runs Archon and raid frames icons are a bit weird. Even 61 Chloro builds can be flagged as Support.
    Last edited by Primalthirst; 01-16-2013 at 09:26 PM.
    Nope.

Damn I meant to put that at the bottom with Things to note!

Shadowlander

LOL! You cant do statistics with 78 Warfronts done
    You'd need like 7800 for it to be accurate

Doesn't matter, it still supports the hyperbole.

Bet most of the rogue 'support's were actually DPS
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    Not bad, definitely better data than most people's claims from midair.
    Worth noting that most of the 'Support' Mages will actually be healers since almost no-one ever runs Archon and raid frames icons are a bit weird. Even 61 Chloro builds can be flagged as Support.
    small thing to add here: I run a 61 chloro/dom, I always show up as support =\
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailolyergory View Post
    All, Please nerf paper it is too strong, but leave scissors alone they are fine.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Dernaid View Post
    LOL! You cant do statistics with 78 Warfronts done
    You'd need like 7800 for it to be accurate
    It's a work in process! The code hasn't stopped yet!

@Credo
    Would we be able to help you at all with data collection? I play a lot and I also have a rotating schedule. I could get you data for the midnight to noon slots if you wanted.

Need ACT files or do you have a program for data collecting?
    All, Please nerf paper it is too strong, but leave scissors alone they are fine.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Bliter View Post
    @Credo
    Would we be able to help you at all with data collection? I play a lot and I also have a rotating schedule. I could get you data for the midnight to noon slots if you wanted.

Need ACT files or do you have a program for data collecting?
    I wrote my own addon, I just need to finish the UI and I'll release it. Probably in the next week or so. I want to wrap up the Prestige Bar and Killing Blow Indicator first.

Once I finish up that I'm going to release both Montage's Warfront Counter (where this data came from) and Montage's PvP Data Analysis Tool.
    Last edited by Credo; 01-16-2013 at 10:51 PM.

Ascendant

So over 25% of the players were dps rogues. That exceeds any other class/role and probably doubles second place.

So in reality it seems to bear out the complaints. 13% of players are cleric healers. I suspect with a larger sample size you would see dps rogues closer to 30% and cleric healers 10%

Also what warfronts did this consist of? I suspect you will find noticeable make up differences between different warfronts so if you did random and got one warfront half the time and another none of the time that could skew the data.

Anyways thanks for the data it is interesting and appreciated although it does not really debunk any of the issues people have talked about.

Also factors like time of day (middle of night less people less variety) or even taking counts when conquest is going versus not (pre storm legion warfronts had a lot of warriors while conquest had very few)

Also consistency. Are you more likely to have 2-4 dps rogues in a ten man warfront every time or 0-1 sometimes and 7 others. Versus having three cleric healers sometimes and have none in two other matches.

Also because i often end up in groups with no cleric healers i end up going support on my Mage so group composition impacts potential roles played.

So with ~13 class/roles having one specific class role with 25%-30% of all warfront players is very, very high.
    Codex + 1 = Suck on a Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Credo View Post
    I wrote my own addon, I just need to finish the UI and I'll release it. Probably in the next week or so. I want to wrap up the Prestige Bar and Killing Blow Indicator first.

Once I finish up that I'm going to release both Montage's Warfront Counter (where this data came from) and Montage's PvP Data Analysis Tool.
    Awesome, can't wait to see how things flesh out. Be nice to look at long term trends too, fire it up before and after updates to see how they affect things.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

Any way you can separate ranged/melee (dps) roles for all the classes as well?

IMO that would be the most interesting data. Would love to have some data supporting the extinction of melee in Rift.

Tempest was the dumbest idea I have ever seen a MMO do to a melee based calling. Completely destroyed the balance between roles.
    Zoartype@Deepwood

Quote Originally Posted by Credo View Post
    NUMBER OF WARFRONTS = 76

CLASSES
    Total = 347
    347/76=4.56 classes/warfront .... this seems wrong to my experience. Unless i'm getting something wrong. Does your add-on account joining people? Because i see very few warfronts with less than 10 players.
    Ow wait you only count your faction?
    Last edited by Daishi777; 01-17-2013 at 04:04 AM.

Damn this edit timer.
    But even if you only account your faction when i meant i rarely see less than 10 players i mean on my team. If you play the warfront from start till end anyway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast