+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Breaking the deadlock.

Default Breaking the deadlock.

Since SL launched and the melee player count in warfronts decreased drastically, it seems that the spearhead has been lost. So many battles just end up being two sides pew pewing across a gap.

To try and get some momentum back into the fight, I've taken to doing a couple of things. On my Cleric while (begrudgingly) healing, I'll get myself shored up as best I can, and run headlong into the enemy frontline. This tends to draw a lot of fire, but it gets it off the skittish DPS that otherwise wouldn't move forward. As further "encouragement", a well-placed Crushing Waves both scatters and pushes the enemy team back, leaving our team no choice but to move forward to meet it. If all goes well, it gets the enemy to start backpedaling, thinking that we're making a push against them. Similarly, when DPSing, Frozen Wrath + Maelstrom spam with Primal North up creates such a rapid splash of numbers (however small they may be) that many players will panic and scatter. It's kind of suicidal, but it does seem to work sometimes.

On my Warrior, when not using General's Orders to pull their rear line into our front, I've noticed it can sometimes be more effective to ride around behind the enemy and instead pull their front line back behind the rear line. It seems to break their attack flow and expose their squishies in the back, even if just for a moment. Much like the above, some rapid AOE like Killing Field while running in circles around them seems to get a panic scatter. Also somewhat suicidal, but that herd mentality of losing ground sometimes sets in, getting them to peel.

What's your preferred way to try and break the deadlock?
    "You with your fancy cooldowns and "runic" power! You know where my power comes from!? THE BACK OF MY HAND, #&!$%!"

The MM ability Crossfire is great for this, if you can ride to the rear of the enemy group, and push them all forward with it. They should give clerics a skill that does the same thing to friendly players. You don't wanna push? Tough luck!

Those 5 target pulls in WL and VK are handy for mixing things up, but you'll want to swap builds quickly in a warfront other than scion after the initial dominance is established.

In my usual hybrid build, I will reach full pacts from pewpewing those ever-present pets that are the new front line, mount or charge a healer, wait for FF to be established on me, pop Fusion, and rift port / thunderous leap back to my team and then summon the healer I was working on to me. Shock silence, purge, slap him around and hope he dies from tab targeting.

Decent success rate in those healer heavy matches, but I do take arrows to the knee.
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Star View Post
    The MM ability Crossfire is great for this, if you can ride to the rear of the enemy group, and push them all forward with it. They should give clerics a skill that does the same thing to friendly players. You don't wanna push? Tough luck!
    That's a damn clever use for that ability. I've seen it repel a team's attempt to push forward, but never thought to use it that way (granted, I don't have a rogue). That'd be chaos. Now, if only more of those skittish MMs would have the gall to use it that way!

On a side note, it's pretty funny (or sad, if it's your team) to watch an attack push just give up after being repeatedly knocked back by CF. It seems to shatter the will of most players to keep up the momentum almost immediately. They just scatter and fall back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fujitasix View Post
    Those 5 target pulls in WL and VK are handy for mixing things up, but you'll want to swap builds quickly in a warfront other than scion after the initial dominance is established.

In my usual hybrid build, I will reach full pacts from pewpewing those ever-present pets that are the new front line, mount or charge a healer, wait for FF to be established on me, pop Fusion, and rift port / thunderous leap back to my team and then summon the healer I was working on to me. Shock silence, purge, slap him around and hope he dies from tab targeting.

Decent success rate in those healer heavy matches, but I do take arrows to the knee.
    Yes, that tactic can be painful. Hopefully no one yanks you back while attempting to make the teleport/leap/defensive maneuver to your own team. That can end...poorly.

I have noticed that since reaching 60, deep WL just does not hold up like it did 50-59. Having to swap into Hybrid unless there is massive amounts of support healing around to allow for WL's mobility/spiking. Though there was this one time when the team got carried away with the forward momentum...and farmed the enemy team until we lost, as they stole/ran presents behind us.

All the discussion on the matter is much appreciated. The more people learn ways to get the fights going again, the better. These deadlocked pewpew fests across a gap are pretty boring.
    "You with your fancy cooldowns and "runic" power! You know where my power comes from!? THE BACK OF MY HAND, #&!$%!"

Rift Chaser

I have been having fun with my cleric alt in a druid/shaman purifier build. With 3 decent absorbs, 2 charges, a silence, and a spotters equivalent I have been able to be a real nuisance to enemy healers and live behind the lines much longer than I expected. Although the build is not high damage it is disconcerting to most and will wear a healer down if they try to ignore.

I riftwalk in, smash some skulls till im satisfied from my guild perk kaching kaching sound, pop fof and walk back into my lines to refill some hp with cool bard sounds. Then i repeat.

Crescende, Beauty of War - Rank 8 Warrior
    -Do not try to solo me-
    Current Shard: Icewatch

Plane Touched

[QUOTE=Gamma Ray;4117565]

To try and get some momentum back into the fight, I've taken to doing a couple of things. On my Cleric while (begrudgingly) healing, I'll get myself shored up as best I can, and run headlong into the enemy frontline. This tends to draw a lot of fire, but it gets it off the skittish DPS that otherwise wouldn't move forward. As further "encouragement", a well-placed Crushing Waves both scatters and pushes the enemy team back, leaving our team no choice but to move forward to meet it.

I usually heal in warfronts and find myself doing the same thing...running into the enemy in hopes that people will follow me. Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't. It is frustrating though, I tell ya.
    Lyrria - Deepwood
    <Godlike Awesomeness>

Kamikaze cleric mode, I yell at Rukavi when he doesn't follow me into they fray.

Then I laugh when he anticipates me doing it and I run away and he dies. Classic entertainment.
    it is not enough these days to question authority, you gotta speak with it too

Cab. Dots and ropes and stuns and slows usually cause people to at the very least back up.

Usually tell my group to push during asias bombs.

i riftwalk in and derp on the first blue bar i tab to.
    if i outlive the bluebar, i'll pick another and herp all over his face. screaming with such wild abandon that my neighbors usualy call the police.

at some point i'm reduced to a soft mass of glutinous blubber steaming gently in the crisp whitefall air. with a sobbing wail i'll click the button...

whimpering softly to myself as i await the respawn timer, i try to psych myself up to do it all over again. still ignoring the incessant banging on my front door by a pair of disgruntled law enforcement officers.

there is a loud crash from the front of the house. they've smashed in my front door. again.

its getting expensive having to continuously replace the deadlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    Or to put it more simply, it doesn't matter if you're topping the charts if you're killing the wrong people.

Quote Originally Posted by Eughe View Post
    Cab. Dots and ropes and stuns and slows usually cause people to at the very least back up.

Usually tell my group to push during asias bombs.
    What is "rope" aside from a long, usually fibrous, piece of flexible material usually used for binding, tying, support, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailolyergory View Post
    All, Please nerf paper it is too strong, but leave scissors alone they are fine.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

@this thread...
    Would a good bard help?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hailolyergory View Post
    All, Please nerf paper it is too strong, but leave scissors alone they are fine.
    Yours Truly,
    Rock.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Voidmind View Post
    Kamikaze cleric mode, I yell at Rukavi when he doesn't follow me into they fray.

Then I laugh when he anticipates me doing it and I run away and he dies. Classic entertainment.
    Nice to know nice people!

Youre a bad bad man...

On the other hand, i die like 10x less when i que with you since you actually heal so... I guess i can accept you having a lol every now and then

Four spells usually do the trick.

Mass Betrayl
    Traitorous Influence
    Grasping Void
    Lightning Wall.

Storm Shackle on the guy who keeps moving for no reason, and you have 100% pure AoE damage havoc!
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    <Celestial Might> [Retired: Hartzekarr and Greogard]
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

Plane Walker

I get grouped with such huge pansies that I've had to lead charges with all my chars and all specs since I first started entering WFs. I don't mind it on my non-healers, but I die a little inside any time I'm healing and our group is approaching the enemy when suddenly everyone ahead of me slows down well outside of engagment range until someone (me) passes them.

The first engagement in a warfront is the most critical. You establish your ground and even with the respawn wait those you killed will often trickle back in instead of entering the fray as a group. Establish early on with enough force and you can even get some of their team to go afk after their first death, just snowballing your success. Can't have an entire team piddlefarting around waiting for someone else to receive the first hit.

Needless to say we often lose those matches anyway since the people that make the healer lead the charge are also the ones that ignore the enemy standing beside them picking up an objective and when it comes to picking up objectives for our team say "oh someone else will grab it". Enemy is retreating from an uncaptured codex? Everyone chase em of course!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast