+ Reply to Thread

Thread: deliberate merc?

Rift Disciple

Default deliberate merc?

If I queue with the opposite faction's warfront master dude/dudette in Tempest Bay, why come I don't enter a WF as a member of that faction? If I want to deliberately merc, why shouldn't I be able to?

"Well, that wouldn't be a good idea because ..."

(there's a point to this, just want to see if I'm on the right track with my thinking)

The concept of the merc system would be defied if you could 'choose' to be a merc. Merc is a lore reason the please RP aspects or make the blunt change logical within the games story. The reason you can't deliberately merc, or ever will be able to, is because the point of the merc system was just to eliminate 2 pools of players for match selection. 2 pools that were not allowed to cross over or share players.

Yes, you can queue with people from the other faction as leader, and often get merc'd. But, guardians can still queue a group of 5 and end up on the Defiant side.

So I am not sure what the point would be, the point of mercs is already clear. A more efficient queue system that causes less delays due to circumstances out of Trions control (ie. peoples play time, amount of X faction on at Y random time of the day).

So that is why you shouldn't be able to. It would void out the reason for implementing the change and bring it back to square one potentially. Being a merc isn't about choosing to, it's just the reason given to make sense in the game for finally having red vs blue how it should have been from the start.

People can disagree to no end that they should be able to choose. But it is undeniable to say it isn't 10-fold more efficient than if we were the ones who make the concrete choice of what side we play when we queue up.

All I got for 4:30am.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    The concept of the merc system would be defied if you could 'choose' to be a merc. Merc is a lore reason the please RP aspects or make the blunt change logical within the games story. The reason you can't deliberately merc, or ever will be able to, is because the point of the merc system was just to eliminate 2 pools of players for match selection. 2 pools that were not allowed to cross over or share players.

Yes, you can queue with people from the other faction as leader, and often get merc'd. But, guardians can still queue a group of 5 and end up on the Defiant side.

So I am not sure what the point would be, the point of mercs is already clear. A more efficient queue system that causes less delays due to circumstances out of Trions control (ie. peoples play time, amount of X faction on at Y random time of the day).

So that is why you shouldn't be able to. It would void out the reason for implementing the change and bring it back to square one potentially. Being a merc isn't about choosing to, it's just the reason given to make sense in the game for finally having red vs blue how it should have been from the start.

People can disagree to no end that they should be able to choose. But it is undeniable to say it isn't 10-fold more efficient than if we were the ones who make the concrete choice of what side we play when we queue up.

All I got for 4:30am.
    Current merc system still gives preference to your own faction when you join, merccing you only if not enough queued for the other side. Don't see a problem with being able to switch that around, though non-mercs should still get pref over mercs for hometeam.

Right now the automation goes:
    Guardians need more players -> grab random Defiant for merc
    But that would change to:
    Guardians need more players -> grab random merc queue Defiant -> grab random Defiant for merc

What is the friggin' point in having factions, if you can trade items with them, speak their language, hear/see them in global channels, join groups with each other, join their warfront teams and pretty much everything else that in MMO history - has always been separated by faction?

I think the whole idea is ridiculous. And it's the ONE thing that I will always prefer in WoW over Rift. Separation - in - every - way. Now, you go out in the world, slaughter a group of people and then all you see is lvl60 getting bombed with Guardians moaning about being killed on a pvp shard, it's ridiculous.

EDIT: Also, if you wanna join another faction - do what I did and levelled two of each class, one guardian/one defiant. Then they went ahead and brought out Mercs. Now you see why I hate it so much - what a waste of my time that was.
    Last edited by Jawsnap; 01-14-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Screw the factions, we should have racial wars.

I want to see a band of sexy bahmi Vs an army of garden gnomes or dwarves or whatever those grody little fat things are.

Quote Originally Posted by Appendy View Post

I want to see a band of sexy bahmi Vs an army of garden gnomes or dwarves or whatever those grody little fat things are.

Hey!! We are big boned not fatties!
    Pika

Quote Originally Posted by Appendy View Post

in this regard kelari vs high-elves, seems right lore-wise as well. oh how my badass kelari dude, and beautiful kelari woman would shine in those battles ^^
    think it's not gonna happen tho.. such a shame
    R.I.P: Paraygon lvl-60 & Parangea lvl-60 <The Lords of War@bloodiron>
    It saddens me to see what Rift pvp has become. The laughing stock of the gaming world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawsnap View Post
    What is the friggin' point in having factions, if you can trade items with them, speak their language, hear/see them in global channels, join groups with each other, join their warfront teams and pretty much everything else that in MMO history - has always been separated by faction?
    There's little point to them, except on PvP servers where you can't do the "separated" things. They pretty much did away with them aside from the background lore of an uneasy alliance and a few people who won't "accept" them.

I think the whole idea is ridiculous. And it's the ONE thing that I will always prefer in WoW over Rift. Separation - in - every - way. Now, you go out in the world, slaughter a group of people and then all you see is lvl60 getting bombed with Guardians moaning about being killed on a pvp shard, it's ridiculous.
    I thought chat channels were still distinct on PvP shards. Am I wrong?

EDIT: Also, if you wanna join another faction - do what I did and levelled two of each class, one guardian/one defiant. Then they went ahead and brought out Mercs. Now you see why I hate it so much - what a waste of my time that was.
    As someone who's got 6 50+s, I didn't find it was enough of a waste of my time to be sour about the whole thing. Hell, I rolled one of those (my warrior) going into the expansion since I knew faction didn't matter and I wanted a race respec.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    Quite exactly. I wonder, though, do the folks who really enjoy PVP (as opposed to the folks who do it just to get quests done, for XP, etc.) care about the lore of the factions? Meaning, at this point, would you rather have fun, even matches, or would you sacrifice that to maintain the integrity of the factions?

+ Reply to Thread