+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Most powerful debuff in PvP

Default Most powerful debuff in PvP

If you had the ability to cast an uncleansable debuff on opposing players that significantly improved your chances of overcoming them would you use it? Most likely you've had this ability at one time or another, it's called Marking.

Marking other players is very much like debuffing them.

- It acts as a magnet attracting the most powerful attacks in game.
    - It's a stealth debuff, doesn't show up on the opponents screen.
    - This debuff can be applied very easily from far away and isn't affected by Line of Sight.

Marking increases your chances of winning which means more favor/prestige and faster gear upgrades for you. Just point and click, it's that easy.
    Who is John Galt?

*Marks tank with '1'*

It's not working!!!!

Marking is used in an extremely ineffective and lazy manner in most warfronts, a method called "MARK TEH HEALARZ!!1111".

It's kind of like spamming Eradicate on a guy with no buffs.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

I must live in an alternate universe where it's not hard to tell who the healers are.

While marking is a good idea in theory..most people don't focus on the marked target.

Instead they will each get on their own target , die and then yell angrily where are our heals???
    Last edited by Misun; 01-06-2013 at 10:09 AM.
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Eughe View Post
    *Marks tank with '1'*

It's not working!!!!
    Marking is a thinking man's ability. Marking the right player(s) can win games. In a hotly contested Warfront it very well could be the deciding factor.
    Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Misun View Post
    While marking is a good idea in theory..most people don't focus on the marked target.

Instead they will each get on their own target , die and then yell angrily where are our heals???
    Marking is like shark bait. There are players in this game that are very very good at what they do. Soon as they see the marked target, they're all over it.
    Who is John Galt?

I just focus another dps cleric in my raid, when I see that person casting Nysr's on someone I cast it on them as well. That is one powerful debuff.
    it is not enough these days to question authority, you gotta speak with it too

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post
    I must live in an alternate universe where it's not hard to tell who the healers are.
    Marking is a tool, nothing more. It's your right to choose not to use it. The purpose of this thread is to raise awareness of an important ability and to help win games.

There are those who probably struggle a little with PvP. If your a seasoned PvP veteran and consider yourself a leader. Then it makes sense to help offer your team some direction where you can. Marking does just that - and - it requires little to no effort.
    Last edited by Riftologist; 01-06-2013 at 10:28 AM.
    Who is John Galt?

Good ole marking

http://i.imgur.com/dDCgm.png

Quote Originally Posted by Riftologist View Post
    Marking is like shark bait. There are players in this game that are very very good at what they do. Soon as they see the marked target, they're all over it.
    If they were very, very good at what they do, they wouldn't need to lean on marking.
    Glaiveheart :: Warrior || Areyk :: Cleric || <Wasted Talent> || Deepwood || Likes Received (1,200)
    Also: Kyerashield :: Warrior || Keirsti :: Rogue || Jariale :: Cleric || Kaliboras :: Mage
    Webmaster for "Do You Even Rift?" || Play Rock Band? Check out the Rock Band: Harmonies Project!

Shield of Telara

If done correctly it can't hurt and occasionally helps. Any pug that doesn't do it has a disadvantage however slight.

I was in a pug yesterday where Pocketemu was marking. It was a close hard fought Dex that we won by 30 pts. If he doesn't mark in that match we lose.
    EvanX / Nihilist / Insurgent

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Voidmind View Post
    I just focus another dps cleric in my raid, when I see that person casting Nysr's on someone I cast it on them as well. That is one powerful debuff.
    I like you way of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Riftologist View Post
    Marking is a thinking man's ability. Marking the right player(s) can win games. In a hotly contested Warfront it very well could be the deciding factor.
    Is thinking man a Rogue spec?
    See you all in Wildstar!

Rift Disciple

I think marking is a nice tool, but as others have said, it's often used suboptimally. Sure, good players wouldn't need a mark to find the healer, and could also assist correctly without it, but it does help to get the whole team on the right target.

Yesterday we had a warr in a warfront who kept marking his target. Switching the mark around as we went along and he retargeted enemies. Stuff died REALLY fast. Was much more effective than putting a 1 on a healer who is out of range of 80% of your team anyway and leaving it there all WF.
    Obviously need someone to do this who knows how to pick the right targets, but yeah.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast