+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 52
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Completely gated PvP progression is garbage

  1. #1
    Ascendant Fujitasix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,416

    Default Completely gated PvP progression is garbage

    I don't want to calculate when I'll have full R80 gear by a calendar instead of wins and losses. Raiders (I raid also, btw) can skip the comparable progression grind by killing bosses.

    I'd like to see partial Freelancer's marks awarded, perhaps 1/3 of a mark value token for a win, and nothing for a loss. Please promote competitive players and a reason beyond "playing for the sake of fun" unless you're going to do the same with PvE.

    On a side note, the balance of power is shifting in our CQ matches... and people are openly admitting to zomg having fun. Some tweaks need done there as well for backloaded rewards and removing the AFKers, but overall that experience is improving. (6 out of 9 wins in the last few days for our non-dominant faction when I queue)

    I'm still having fun, but there's a cloud over every match that tells you you're just treading water after the daily. Please respond, and thank you.
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

  2. #2
    Rift Chaser Darkjoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Stafford, VA
    Posts
    373

    Default

    They have to do it this way so the bad pvpers feel like they're on a level playing field.

  3. #3
    Ascendant Fujitasix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,416

    Default

    There's absolutely no reason to cater to the extremely casual PvPer for warfronts beyond the auto-merc balancing. That was a big enough bone, and plenty to silence the QQ too much of a gap demographic.

    The victims here are people that play to win, and want to play more than once per day or pound out 9 wins on Wednesday.
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

  4. #4
    Rift Master LeCreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    682

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fujitasix View Post
    On a side note, the balance of power is shifting in our CQ matches... and people are openly admitting to zomg having fun. Some tweaks need done there as well for backloaded rewards and removing the AFKers, but overall that experience is improving. (6 out of 9 wins in the last few days for our non-dominant faction when I queue.
    There have been some real competitive ones lately that go not only down to the last kill but also to the last second.

  5. #5
    Ascendant Rounded's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,421

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fujitasix View Post
    I don't want to calculate when I'll have full R80 gear by a calendar instead of wins and losses. Raiders (I raid also, btw) can skip the comparable progression grind by killing bosses.
    You cannot gear a raid by dinging 60 and going to the 20-man immediately.

  6. #6
    Prophet of Telara Valfador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rounded View Post
    You cannot gear a raid by dinging 60 and going to the 20-man immediately.
    And experts can only be done once per day, right?
    Haven't pvped since i hit 60 for the same reason i don't notoriety grind, daily quests. Who knows, Trion might return to their old system of progression, they might not.
    Last edited by Valfador; 01-04-2013 at 01:12 AM.
    0.3/8 ID 2.123/4 PF

  7. #7
    Sword of Telara Atropus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    855

    Default

    PVPers are always going to catch hell in regards to their gear grind because "LOL When we can get our gear from /afk, then we'll talk." BTW, that sentiment is pure hubris.

    I think having Marks for wins/dailies/weeklies is a good thing, because it stops the afk bot farm from getting all of their gear, but I also think it's gated a little too strongly. Maybe once SL CQ season 2 hits, they'll add Marks to it. Either way, someghing does need to change, and I'm one of the most casual PVPers you'll find.

  8. #8
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    3,865

    Default

    if you play to win, why you need limitless gear progression? dont understand?

    i agree with conquest, as conquest right now is neither pvp nor fun. If conquest had been well designed, i wouldnt mind the grind either...
    Last edited by Antigonos; 01-04-2013 at 03:25 AM.

  9. #9
    Ascendant Appendy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,626

    Default

    I think they should increase freelancer marks before R70

    I'm R73 and the only freelancer gear I have (and I finish all my dailies/weeklies):
    • cape
    • 2 daggers
    • gun
    I started collecting warlord marks for my next gun since I will hit R80 by the time I get enough marks for it. I guess then I'll go back and replace my mercenary gear. The freelancer gear isn't even a significant upgrade from the merc gear so I don't understand why it has to take so long to grind it out (before R70 that is).

  10. #10
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    Did you even read his post? He isn't asking for arena, he's asking for more streamlined gear progression so there's less of a barrier to entry for PVP, so that it doesn't take a year and a half of grinding to max out a gear set. Just because someone throws out the buzzword "competitive" doesn't mean they want to turn this game into SC2.
    Seems you didn't catch what i said : i'm not against arena, i'm against the whole group of peoples that actually ask for "competitive" activities, even in PVE with bad behavior and condescendent speaking style like hu ... Him ? Because between the actuall hardcore raiders, the botters and their friends wich actually lobby to get more grey area, and the hardcore pvpers that are actually lobbying to make a gap even bigger than the actuall gap between a regular pvper and a HC one, in a game wich is not designed for pvp, this becomes insane.
    I don't want to be forced to choose between PVP progression and PVE progression, because actually i do both and i'm happy with it because i can still catch the raiders and the pvpers. Donc make this game more time devouring than it is already (wich is already too much, because reputation wise, it's actually designed for botters and around 3 flaw that HC raiders have used and wich have been "fixed" by Trion without removing the gain for the people that have abused).
    And there is now way to troll me because if you do so, you will just place yourself in the category i've described there, unless you'll be proud to ask for something that will denaturate the original game, wich is not made for your gamestyle ?

  11. #11
    Sword of Telara Atropus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brume View Post
    Intellectual Checkmate
    Also, I'd like to introduce you to the letter "h". I hope you become friends.

  12. #12
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rounded View Post
    You cannot gear a raid by dinging 60 and going to the 20-man immediately.
    PVE'ers can have gear crafted for them. There is no comparison between the PVP gear grind and PVE.

  13. #13
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkjoy View Post
    They have to do it this way so the bad pvpers feel like they're on a level playing field.
    Spoken like someone who feels that PvP should be about gear. It shouldn't. Ever. Not once.

    If you want fun, engaging, PvP, take gear almost entirely out of the equation. You can have a gear grind if you want but make the upgrades negligible (like they are). This is a step in the right direction.

    What is missing from Rift PvP is simply that there is no reason to PvP. You can paint a rosy picture of "I PvP because it's fun!" as much as you want but if there is nothing in it for the player, then PvPing for the sack of "fun" won't last very long for much of the player base. Introduce some actual competitive PvP with ratings that get PvPers logging in each day to improve and progress their character up the rankings or watch as your PvP population continues to dwindle away as it has for the last year until Trion no longer feels it a good use of resources to focus on PvP at all.
    Moved on from Rift due to: Rift's PvP being a mindless, skilless zerg that has been and will continue to be perpetuated and reinforced :: A horribly optimized engine :: My personal distaste for F2P (already heading down the P2W path) after giving it a fair shake. Rift is an exceptional MMO by an overachieving development team that unfortunately is ruined by a few personally show-stopping issues.

  14. #14
    Ascendant Fujitasix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fujitasix View Post

    I'd like to see partial Freelancer's marks awarded, perhaps 1/3 of a mark value token for a win, and nothing for a loss. Please promote competitive players and a reason beyond "playing for the sake of fun" unless you're going to do the same with PvE.
    When I said this, I wasn't referring to rankings or ladders, or arena for that matter - I was referring to people that queue for existing warfronts and CQ with no intention of

    1. playing at all, they just bunny hop and hope no one notices to AFK them out.

    2. play with their PvE roles, not caring to make builds for PvP because it's just a quick pass time for the daily marks, and they'll just queue and play poorly until they get carried to a win.

    If you want to change the word "competitive" to "not AFK or giving a half-assed effort", feel free to read it again and note that I'm only deterred by the 100% mark gated progression and nearly useless favor.
    Currently playing Beermaid lvl 65 War

  15. #15
    RIFT Guide Writer Redcruxs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,935

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brume View Post
    Seems you didn't catch what i said : i'm not against arena, i'm against the whole group of peoples that actually ask for "competitive" activities, even in PVE with bad behavior and condescendent speaking style like hu ... Him ? Because between the actuall hardcore raiders, the botters and their friends wich actually lobby to get more grey area, and the hardcore pvpers that are actually lobbying to make a gap even bigger than the actuall gap between a regular pvper and a HC one, in a game wich is not designed for pvp, this becomes insane.
    I don't want to be forced to choose between PVP progression and PVE progression, because actually i do both and i'm happy with it because i can still catch the raiders and the pvpers. Donc make this game more time devouring than it is already (wich is already too much, because reputation wise, it's actually designed for botters and around 3 flaw that HC raiders have used and wich have been "fixed" by Trion without removing the gain for the people that have abused).
    And there is now way to troll me because if you do so, you will just place yourself in the category i've described there, unless you'll be proud to ask for something that will denaturate the original game, wich is not made for your gamestyle ?
    so your argument is that you DON'T want longer pvp progression?

    The OP is saying that currently, you can PvP for "X" amount of days (a LONG time) mark it on your calendar and that is when you will have full PvP gear REGARDLESS of whether you win or lose or AFK or whatever... what the OP wants is for your wins and loses to matter so that people actually play to win and not just screw around/afk/bot/whatever which kills the fun for everyone. The current system FAVORS BOTTERS (which you claim to be against) yet you want to keep this crap system?

    Now, look at the statements and tell me how your argument fits into this thread. It doesn't... you are arguing for no reason. No one here is asking for longer PvP grinds, in fact its the opposite. The OP is asking for a change so that players down the road will be able to gear up faster instead of "This is how many days you must grind in order to attain PvP gear" which is currently the system in place.
    Last edited by Redcruxs; 01-04-2013 at 07:16 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts