+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where are diminishing returns in this game?

Soulwalker

Default Where are diminishing returns in this game?

I just finished a Port Scion and It was the worst. I was literally silenced 2 out of every 3 seconds in a life span of 30 seconds. That is not even right at all. When I am playing a spec that has silences and I cast them I always see immune on who ever I hit with it and they continue casting, but when I am casting I cant cast to save my life. Its kinda silly. Please fix that.

Ascendant

they changed the system with the last patch, i could think of it is bugged right now.

the system should be an imunity system now: after you got silenced you are imune for the duration of that skill. im not really sure if it stated imune to THAT skill only (so another silence skill could work) though that is kinda stupid but who knows ^^

Champion

I have to agree here.

I can only hope it's bugged.

Silences right now are INSANE. There are matches where I'm literally chain silenced for 12-15 *seconds* ... or more!!!

If this is intended, it needs to be rethought! I can just imagine the rants we'd hear if we could chain disarm warriors for 15 seconds!

A silenced caster is useless and having chain silences that last WELL OVER 10 seconds is just wrong!
    Last edited by Bhrawn; 01-01-2013 at 05:23 AM.

It's not bugged, it's actually working as intended.

Take Deaden for example, the 5 second silence if interrupt marksman ability. When talented, Deaden has a 10 second cooldown.

It works as follows:

5 second Silence -> 5 second immunity -> Deaden is off cooldown.

Then there's certain abilities like Priest's Lament that completely ignores DR all together.

It's pretty ridiculous.

Also, Stormzill
    STORMSTORMSTORMSTORMSTORMSTORMSTORMSTORMSTORM

Quote Originally Posted by SWGMOD010 View Post
    Then there's certain abilities like Priest's Lament that completely ignores DR all together.
    It's pretty ridiculous.
    Isn't that a bug?

Quote Originally Posted by zartan88 View Post
    When I am playing a spec that has silences and I cast them I always see immune on who ever I hit with it and they continue casting, but when I am casting I cant cast to save my life. Its kinda silly. Please fix that.
    Yeah, change CCs because I don't understand the system and can't abuse it like others.

In all seriousness, it is a little bit much. But changing the DR system is NOT the answer. I like the current DR system. The number of CCs each class has to be adjusted. Every soul shouldn't have good CC.
    Piras@Faeblight
    Elsing@Faeblight
    <Celestial Might> [Retired: Hartzekarr and Greogard]
    My CD is now available for purchase here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/opus-1/id580677269

DR is fine ... trion just needs to adjust the CD/duration on some CC and make sure DR applies all the time.

at least CC now works, much better than immune,immune,immune.....

Well that doesn't seem imbalanced at all.
    Pridy Bebe of Mobile Death Squad @Faeblight

DYER the best unofficial Rift forum.

Rift Master

Deaden is a very severe outlier in terms of potential uptime. No one should be able to maintain silence with near 50% uptime (the supposed max) by him/herself using just one skill. Trion could double the cool down to 20 seconds, and deaden would still be immensely powerful.

The overriding issues are: 1) the prevalence of silences versus disarms, and 2) a DR system that allows exceptions (intentional or otherwise) to its own stated rules.

Regarding #1: I'm not sure why a game like Rift needs an abundance of silences in the first place. At one point, long ago in MMO-land, casters had a number of advantages (higher damage, range, armor penetration) to offset their disadvantages (immobility, squishiness, vulnerability to silence/interrupt). Now? Armor means little, everyone has range (or more than enough gap closing), and damage is mostly normalized. So why are caster dps still subjected to a variety of mechanics designed exclusively to mess with them when the differences between dps are now almost entirely cosmetic/aesthetic? Why is it necessary to limit caster dps through targeted CC at so much higher rates?

Regarding #2: I think a DR system allowing 50% uptime of cc/silences is already pushing it. Exceptions to this rule, bugs or not, need to be removed. As a caster, it's bad enough that you're far, far more likely to approach that 50% uptime given your additional vulnerabilities without non-DR abilities spiking you closer to the 60-70% mark.

As SWGMOD said, I believe Priest's Lament and a few others are off the DR altogether. I think Arresting gets applied regardless of immunity, though I can't be certain on that because I typically flee for my life whenever I'm around people and there is an enemy Dom, for fear of them blowing me up.

As an aside, where's the parity between Silence and Disarm? I'd love a five second Disarm on a 10 second CD. You could throw it on a healer and I'd still be happy, since it would fit the flavor pretty well.

Soulwalker

Default DR

I totally get what you are saying, but the trouble I am addressing is that the DR isnt working when multiple players are hitting you at the same time. With the DR at most you should be able to be silenced 5 out of 12-15 seconds. Not chain silenced by everyone and their brother. So all casting classes in a Port Scion or similar aoe fest is silenced the whole time while rogues and warriors are able to continue casting and dpsing almost the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by SWGMOD010 View Post
    It's not bugged, it's actually working as intended.

Take Deaden for example, the 5 second silence if interrupt marksman ability. When talented, Deaden has a 10 second cooldown.

It works as follows:

It's pretty ridiculous.

Plane Touched

Deaden is fine.

For the most part, good healers can keep themselves up by instant casts. Fought them, seen that. If you are forced to hard cast and get interrupted, you are either out of position or your teammates are not keeping pressure on the attacker. If you start healing with hard casts, blame yourself.

+ Reply to Thread