Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Why Competition and Appropriate Rewards Matter

Ascendant

Default Why Competition and Appropriate Rewards Matter

Trion

PvP in Rift has been on a downward slide for quite some time. You've added more Warfronts. You've added a new PvP game type in Conquest. You've added countless alternate Warfront variations. You've added myriad achievements associated with Warfronts and PvP in general. Long ago you implemented PvP rifts. Yet, after all of this, PvP is still dying out in Rift as evidenced by the PvP shards closing down and the regularity with which we all see the same 50-60 faces over and over in Warfronts. Why is it that PvP in this game isn't working out? Why are all but one of the PvP shards gone and why is the last remaining one a ghost town? Why is the PvP forum one of the most active boards here and why are the majority of the posts negative with respect to Rift PvP?

My argument is that Rift PvP is missing that which keeps players coming back for more: competition. As of the moment, there is no real "reason" to PvP other than simply doing it for the sake of having fun. Yet why do we play MMOs in the first place? Study after study has been done and has unequivocally shown that MMOs gain their popularity through the repetitive cycle of time investment equaling out to rewards. Yet what rewards do we have in Rift PvP? At present, you have negligible gear upgrades that are heavily gated and a massive grind to obtain regardless. So unless you are willing to PvP simply to pass the time, there's really no "goal" or "end-game" to the system.

That is the key problem.

I'll give you an example from my own experience. Another game I play quite a bit is Starcraft II. It's very intense each and every game - largely because you know you are playing for something more than just passing the time. One clear indication of this is that, recently, the season ended. The new season will not begin until early to mid January. During this time, I have noticed that I lack any desire whatsoever to log into the game and play because the games I'd be playing are more or less for naught. Further, when I have logged in simply to get some practice with certain builds, I've noticed extensive wait times to find an opponent which leads me to believe that many are also failing to log in because there is nothing on the line.

The moral of the story, as has been said many times over, is that Rift PvP desperately NEEDS some form of high-end, competition. You can make it Arena, rated Warfronts, or some other system but you need to implement something with rewards that are desirable and challenging to obtain - and when I say challenging to obtain I DO NOT mean that they are simply gated or a lengthy grind but rather are earned by the top performers each "season" or "session" or "whatever you want to call it". Further, these rewards should NOT be simply more, improved gear. Why not start by breaking Rift PvP into "seasons", defining some metrics by which player performance can be tracked, and then putting in some rewards that will be awarded at the season's conclusion to the top performers? Give it a shot and see what it does for PvP in this game. I guarantee you'll see higher participation and you'll see some population return to the lone remaining PvP shard. Who knows - you may even have to open up a new one.

Here are some examples of rewards that would be highly sought after:

1) A unique statue only available to the top X of PvPers each season that can be placed in dimensions
    2) A unique, 150% (or how about even making it 5-10% faster?) mount only available to the top X of PvPers each season
    3) A unique title and matching wardrobe set for the top X of PvPers each season
    Last edited by Synovia; 12-30-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    Moved on from Rift due to: Rift's PvP being a mindless, skilless zerg that has been and will continue to be perpetuated and reinforced :: A horribly optimized engine :: My personal distaste for F2P (already heading down the P2W path) after giving it a fair shake. Rift is an exceptional MMO by an overachieving development team that unfortunately is ruined by a few personally show-stopping issues.

Would be nice to have something like this.... le sigh one can dream right?
    Esilia(Pyro/dom) Sayber(Rb/temp)
    Lenaea(Sentinel) Eude(Undecided atm)
    Former member of [Slayers] [Mayhem]

You got Conquest, how dare you...
    GIVE US 4v4 ARENAS (1 of each class in team).
    Last edited by Morwath; 12-30-2012 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morwath View Post
    You got Conquest, how dare you...
    GIVE US 4v4 ARENAS (1 of each class in team).
    but I didnt ask for arenas.. 2 and 3 would be nice.. but any sort of serious ranked warfronts would be nice, or **** at least a TDM mode for all of them...
    Esilia(Pyro/dom) Sayber(Rb/temp)
    Lenaea(Sentinel) Eude(Undecided atm)
    Former member of [Slayers] [Mayhem]

Of course it's a rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboots View Post
    Of course it's a rogue.
    * With mobility issues and wants passives to increase the skill level of play.
    Guardians: Rigenmucha R75 Elistianna R75 Yoalticitl R55 Vucubcaquix R52
    Defiants: Rigenmucha 50 Elistianna 30 Hanalicelani 40 Tetzauhteotl 54

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboots View Post
    Of course it's a rogue.
    Thank you for this constructive reply. Your thoughts have been noted.

On a side note, Rogues are perhaps the weakest in PvP overall right now but I'm perfectly fine with it. I'm enjoying NB/RS still after the much-needed nerf.
    Moved on from Rift due to: Rift's PvP being a mindless, skilless zerg that has been and will continue to be perpetuated and reinforced :: A horribly optimized engine :: My personal distaste for F2P (already heading down the P2W path) after giving it a fair shake. Rift is an exceptional MMO by an overachieving development team that unfortunately is ruined by a few personally show-stopping issues.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Rigenmucha View Post
    * With mobility issues and wants passives to increase the skill level of play.
    I don't want to derail the thread but by baking a snare into Debilittating poison, you can lower the damage a bit if needed on Assassin abilities and allow Assassin to be played like a surgeon where you used CDs precisely instead of smashing your face into macros whenever you get the 1-2 seconds of "uptime" on your target.

Quote Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
    On a side note, Rogues are perhaps the weakest in PvP overall right now but I'm perfectly fine with it.
    Man, I wish I had more room in my sig for this gem.

I made that a link.

It's a great thread if anyone hasn't read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Topology View Post
    Man, I wish I had more room in my sig for this gem.
    Don't worry, I got it. Apparently I'm forever doomed to have a bad Negative Ghostrider rogue in my sig.
    Last edited by Valnak; 12-30-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post
    I made that a link.

It's a great thread if anyone hasn't read it.

Don't worry, I got it. Apparently I'm forever doomed to have a bad Negative Ghostrider rogue in my sig.
    And it seems Rift might forever be doomed as the laughing stock of MMO PvP and empty PvP shards. Luckily, Trion seems to listen to reasonable folks such as myself. i.e. the NB/RS and Marksman nerfs + the semi-normalization of PvP.

I play MMOs to have fun. I compete in things that matter.
    Even free cost too much now

Quote Originally Posted by Valnak View Post
    Thanks for taking that bullet for the rest of us.

wtb more sig real estate

Quote Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
    Thank you for this constructive reply. Your thoughts have been noted.

On a side note, Rogues are perhaps the weakest in PvP overall right now but I'm perfectly fine with it. I'm enjoying NB/RS still after the much-needed nerf.
    lololol

lolololololololololol

lolololol

lol

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by wickede View Post
    lololol

lolololololololololol

lolololol

lol
    I agree. The truth can be funny - even when it is directly opposed to one's own beliefs.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast