+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: tanking in pvp?

Soulwalker

Default tanking in pvp?

Hey I'm a returning player for the expansion leveling a new toon and was wondering this question:

Do tanks have a place in pvp?

While dipping a little to get some defensive perks seems to be good for some specs, it seems to me that that its not worth it to really focus in a defensive role, and I have not seen anyone in my warfronts so far as a tank. Am i missing something?

Pugs seem to love you, but eventually someone smart tells everyone to ignore you. Until then, or if no one listens, you do well keep aggro of stupid people.

Or, running flags, and hold codex points until your team comes. But right now with all the burst youre easy to kill anyway.
    Last edited by spaceboots; 11-25-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Tanks absolutely have a place in PVP.
    Don't underestimate tab fodder.
    ~Quiescent

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Zaros View Post
    Tanks absolutely have a place in PVP.
    Don't underestimate tab fodder.
    /mourn Fluffy
    No French kisses, and no hippopotamuses.

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboots View Post
    But right now with all the burst youre easy to kill anyway.
    Unless warriors tank worse, I don't know, my rogue in raid buffed up to almost 43k hp and could take some serious heat while roatating good temps. I'm easy to kill when the whole team got on me...but even then I go down slow enough to mindfully say "Ohh, Ill hit this button now". I actually get moments of contemplation while taking damage . 1 or 2 people got to put an effort into taking me down...an effort better spent elsewhere for sure.
    New round up of some high rank matches
    Chun-Li*E.Honda*Evil Ryu
    Abel*Ibuki*Dhalsim
    Gouken*Zangief*Ryu

Quote Originally Posted by Violacea View Post
    rogue:
    cuz rogues

Sure! There're jobs for tank in PVP, especially in pug environment. Not sure for premade tho. I've never done premade before. I love pug coz I love the beauty of randomness.

I'd be the worst tank world wide ... oops sorry, they like to be called wqrriqrs now.

But I'll tell you what, they terrify me in PvP, and I still try to follow one. If warrior is your choice, just make it work.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

tanks are great as long as they dont over extend.
    getting at/behind the ennemy line is not a race especially if the rest of your team is 40m behind you....

The tank is one of the star players as of now. Good warrior tanks can move and control fields and rogue tanks can soak up tons of damage and be back of the line to get healed with mobility. They are actually more important than ever now. What needs to come up a bit is the lack of support being utilized. I would like to see support playing its roles and it will fix a few imbalances with dps if healing was buffed through support roles. IE bard and tact.That will help make those roles more wanted and viable like the tank role is now. Then the healing and dps roles will clearly not be the leading factor on why a team wins/loses.All roles will be.
    Last edited by Flashmemory; 11-25-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Rift Disciple definitelynotzoar's Avatar

I have seen NO game changing tanks. None cap objectives, or defend flags. For the most part they want to be in the **** getting smacked on and with the lack of healers they get to live about 15 seconds longer then a melee.

Right now roll a tank. When trion buffs heals (over buffs I should say. since they dont test a damn thing) clerics will be OP again and they will start playing healing specs and alll this aoe zerg fest & no front line pvp will start to die out.

thank god.

Tank is really the only real Melee warrior worth playing in 60's pvp ATM. But we can also pump out heavy damage in the right tank spec. Don't expect to charge in and survive 3+ dos on you even with a bevy hp reserve, for example I'm running between 36-40k hp in wf' ATM. We am do well, very well in fact. Gota play it smart tho. Learn to Los, interupt, pull wisely and when to extend past your lines. Harming p58 warrior. Seastone

there are too many abilities that they have made "tank based" for me to say theres no role for tanks in pvp.

As a cleric I know i have a nice aoe ability that goes off every time a target is damaged and that helps pad my numbers greatly in pvp
    I also as a healer have ability that deals damage to enemies around the tank and heals people around the tank. I absolutly love having someone tanky in my Warfronts.

I sometimes play a tank, most important thing is to know when to come back and know not to push too deep, when you stop seeing green on your screen.. pull back. its really not your job to push to the back lines like a crazy wow player... this aint wow and you cant win a match by overgearing your opponent.
    the most i will even pull back is the front line and will usually be jus a bit behind that so i can draw fire from enemy ranged.
    How much do you HATE BISHOPX?
    Warrior video (july)
    Newest shaman PvP video
    Enjoy the GREATEST HITS

Quote Originally Posted by definitelynotzoar View Post
    I have seen NO game changing tanks. None cap objectives, or defend flags. For the most part they want to be in the **** getting smacked on and with the lack of healers they get to live about 15 seconds longer then a melee.

Right now roll a tank. When trion buffs heals (over buffs I should say. since they dont test a damn thing) clerics will be OP again and they will start playing healing specs and alll this aoe zerg fest & no front line pvp will start to die out.

thank god.
    We can only hope they don't over buff heals again. Hell remove them for all I care. It's more fun when people actually die in PvP anyway.
    Leondria 60 P6x Mage

Quote Originally Posted by littlepoit View Post
    tanks are great as long as they dont over extend.
    This is the key. I'm usually the main healer in WFs as I'm pure chloro.

I can't tell you how many times I see a S/B tank race out of the spawn ahead of everyone (out of heal range) into a pack of 12, die instantly and then begin to berate healers because they suck and can't heal for ****.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast